Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are the Lakers looking to contend these final two years of Kobe's contract?

Laker fans, we have all seen the rumors. Do you think your team is legitimately looking to contend Kobe's final two years or have they decided to start a real rebuild and just wait it out?

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Lakers looking to contend these final two years of Kobe's contract?

Kobe's in their ear. He didn't sign for two more years to not contend.

Kobe is the daddy of that organization and is so alpha, he has the front office shitting their pants trying to please him.

I see Kobe one day owning the Lakers.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Lakers looking to contend these final two years of Kobe's contract?

I think in 2016, if possible.

Not next year, but they are probably looking to make the playoffs since tanking would serve no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    I think in 2016, if possible.

Not next year, but they are probably looking to make the playoffs since tanking would serve no purpose.
    This. Someone said that we should have cap room for three max free agents in 2016?

Obviously it'd be great to contend the next two years, but unless Jim/Mitch pull off a miracle (or two, more likely), it isn't happening.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Lakers will pull off a surprising trade, and sign a couple of solid free agents (Ariza, Gortat esque)

I don't see them just sitting around

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Kobe's in their ear. He didn't sign for two more years to not contend.
    He signed the contract for the $$$ and to add to his career point total. He knows the Lakers aren't going anywhere. He gets paid, seats are filled, he gets minutes to put up points, and the Lakers rebuild for their future with Kobe as the money making stop-gap.

I believe we will have our first piece by the end of the trade deadline this upcoming season. It wont be a great season for us, probably not even in the playoffs, but we will know about what direction we will take by the end of next year. Endgame plan is most likely targeting Durant. I don't know which star will be with him. My guess is they are targeting Lebron this year to pair with Durant when Kobe expires. Obviously the chances of that are miniscule, but that's probably plan A. A more realistic acquisition this year will probably be someone like Lance Stephenson or Bledsoe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Lakers will pull off a surprising trade, and sign a couple of solid free agents (Ariza, Gortat esque)

I don't see them just sitting around
    They have no one to trade tho.

Da Mavs

Nobody knows because the Lakers have no assets. Nobody significant is going to come sign with Kobe in his last 2 years, because there are much better contenders out there. The best LA will be able to do is overpay guys like Deng/Bledsoe.

Depends on what happens doing July, with them keeping a option to trade whoever they draft for assets. But it would of been better if Kobe didn't sign that f***ing contract.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    They have no one to trade tho.
    Been a lot of rumblings lately..no?

I wonder...if we still have our draft pick, and a crippled Embiid is on the table, do we definitely take him? We'd have to, right?

Can't imagine Boston would pass him up, though. Just like the Lakers, they had designs for a super high draft pick. I think one of the teams will take the gamble (if someone ahead doesn't first ).

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Been a lot of rumblings lately..no?
    Literally the only asset is the #7 pick. A decent one, though.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by alanLA92
    Depends on what happens doing July, with them keeping a option to trade whoever they draft for assets. But it would of been better if Kobe didn't sign that f***ing contract.

They had no choice because as "laker fans" pointed out after he signed the contract, they will not show up to games or watch on TV if Kibe isnt there.

They all supported the contract because they wanted ownership to make more money. Even if the team sucks, I guess. Normally ownership would be criticized for that but "laker fans" will do or say anything no matter how irrational, to defend Kibe from criticism.

So basically without that contract, Lakers cant sell tickets or get TV views. Kibe is more important than the Lakers to "laker fans"

Decent college freshman

Kobe will lead them into the lottery. Again. For the third time. Kirbyball is ineffective without a stacked team and a dominant frontcourt.