Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I was watching nfl films show and dude was like "when 6-5 and 265 pounds art shell...

Is running toward you to block, watch out!"

Got me thinking.

Everyone knows how much bigger faster stronger nfl players are these days.

A 265 offensive lineman??? LOLOLOLOLOLOPPLOLO

Barely would start at a top notch high school these days.

Same is to be applied in nba.

Players in the 60's were so much weaker. Smaller less strong and less skilled.

It kills me when these 60's homers don't understand basic physics.

Bunch of unathletic skinny no skilled players working other jobs thinking they could even compete with today's elite high school teams, let alone nba players.

GTFO.

Banned

Default Re: I was watching nfl films show and dude was like "when 6-5 and 265 pounds art shell...

I played High School football and our guards/center were up to 280-300 lbs. Tackles could be around 260-270 lbs if he has great hands, great feet, and a strong first punch.

shhhhhhh

Default Re: I was watching nfl films show and dude was like "when 6-5 and 265 pounds art shell...

think about this.. in 1980 there were 3 players in the NFL that weighed over 300 pounds... last season there were 57 rookies that weighed over 300 pounds and over 300 players in the league that tipped the scale north of 300

that being said the rest of your post concerning unskilled and the other noise is just nonsense

Wilt Chamberlain

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

dUmb to compare football to basketball. While I agree things have evolved size and strength are extremely important in football.. and there's no telling if you put older athletes on today's regimens they wouldn't be bigger. Would be silly to assume otherwise actually

Basketball is more skill.. average heights haven't changed perimeter players have gotten more athletic and probably better but big men have gotten worse, so dumb comparison

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    think about this.. in 1980 there were 3 players in the NFL that weighed over 300 pounds... last season there were 57 rookies that weighed over 300 pounds and over 300 players in the league that tipped the scale north of 300

that being said the rest of your post concerning unskilled and the other noise is just nonsense
    I'll add to my post, that even in the 80's NFL players were fined for being what was considered overweight... 265 was considered fat even for an offensive lineman....

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    Is running toward you to block, watch out!"

Got me thinking.

Everyone knows how much bigger faster stronger nfl players are these days.

A 265 offensive lineman??? LOLOLOLOLOLOPPLOLO

Barely would start at a top notch high school these days.

Same is to be applied in nba.

Players in the 60's were so much weaker. Smaller less strong and less skilled.

It kills me when these 60's homers don't understand basic physics.

Bunch of unathletic skinny no skilled players working other jobs thinking they could even compete with today's elite high school teams, let alone nba players.

GTFO.

Yeah Steve Nash, dirk, Kevin love, Tim duncan, marc, pau gasol and ginobili are genetic freaks!!!

Get your young ass to sleep, bball and football are not even comparable.. Bball is so much more about skill
    Didn't you learn anything about the unathletic as hell Spurs outside of kawhi beating the almighty lebron james and Miami Heat in the finals

I know you are just trying to rile up all the older dudes who love wilt and Russell
    But have some respect for the legends of the game..
    This post alone shows how much you know about the game regardless of your response back

Quote Originally Posted by The_Pharcyde
    Yeah Steve Nash, dirk, Kevin love, Tim duncan, marc, pau gasol and ginobili are genetic freaks!!!

Get your young ass to sleep, bball and football are not even comparable.. Bball is so much more about skill
    Didn't you learn anything about the unathletic as hell Spurs outside of kawhi beating the almighty lebron james and Miami Heat in the finals

I know you are just trying to rile up all the older dudes who love wilt and Russell
    This post alone shows how much you know about the game regardless of your response back
    Don't be a mOark. Bless goes hard. You don't want to be on his bad side, period.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Don't be a mOark. Bless goes hard. You don't want to be on his bad side, period.

I'm just saying, people dissing the legends of the game
    Like they didn't set the path for literally everything that came after
    No MJ, no LBJ, no Kobe

And they would be the 1st to tell you that

Quote Originally Posted by The_Pharcyde

Watch your fingers fucc boy.

Of course bball is more about skill.

But OVERALL. Damn. Someone 6'8" 220 in the sixties was a center power forward at best. Limited skill set. OVERALL. now a days, players 6'6,-6'8" have 20 times the skill set. Dribbling. Driving. Shooting. Guarding smaller quicker players. What are you even typing about? Show me a player back then 6'8"-7' that could dribble the length of the floor, pull up from 3 and or blow by for a dunk.

Your straight retOarded.

Skill AND athleticism is way up. SMh.

Which leads perfect to your examples.

You forgetting the basics. Dirk , a 7 footer with the COORDINATION and quickness , for his size, yes he is an athletic freak. His shooting and iq puts him into hall of fame caliber.

The gasol brothers. Same thing. Once again, how many 7 footers had the COORDINATION to do what they do. That is athleticism. Otherwise why wouldn't all 7 footers doing it in the 60's? They weren't aware of a thing called dribbling??????

GTFO.

Peak Nash's combination quickness and speed is freakish.

wtf you typin about???

Skill and athleticism is light years ahead. Period.

Starting 5 of average 6'8 nba players today that can ALL dribble, shoot, out jump all them scrubs in the 60's would dominate. Not to mention the elite players.

Football is skill. You think you just line up and hit? Same things apply , footwork, technique, smarts. Strength.

GTFO kid.

Log out your alias and face me like a man.

Scrub

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear

Real type my niggah.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    dUmb to compare football to basketball. While I agree things have evolved size and strength are extremely important in football.. and there's no telling if you put older athletes on today's regimens they wouldn't be bigger. Would be silly to assume otherwise actually

Basketball is more skill.. average heights haven't changed perimeter players have gotten more athletic and probably better but big men have gotten worse, so dumb comparison
    Once again bruh, a "big man " in the 60's was 6'8,6'9??

That couldn't dribble, couldn't shoot past 8 feet.

Today a player of that size has 20 times more SKILLS.

come on bruh.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

come on bruh.
    Wilt Russell Kareem are all 60s/70s centers.. and they faced a bunch of strong really tough guys outside themsleves.. willis reed nate Thurmond etc

They would rape big men of today's league. Idc if they can't shoot long range.. that's actually a flaw to play that way at that height

Only thing I agree with is guard/perimeter play getting more advanced especially with evolution of dribbling and shooting..
    Last edited by tpols; 03-18-2015 at 11:46 PM.

come on bruh.
    Um, 6-8 players dribbling, driving, and shooting, as well as versatile defensive flexibility are nothing new to the game of basketball.

Here's 6-7.5 without shoes Rudy LaRusso, (Same height as Kevin Love or Tristan Thompson).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sl9mYV77uU

He can push the ball up the floor, drive, shoot, switch on defense... I see no signs of him lacking in any inate ability say, Kevin Love has. And he's a lot more skilled than Tristan Thompson.

Check yourself before you talk shit. LaRusso is not even a big name superstar of the 60's and he does everything you said he couldn't, which is actually more than many solid NBA players (like Tristan Thompson) are capable of doing today.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-19-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Wilt Russell Kareem are all 60s/70s centers.. and they faced a bunch of strong really tough guys outside themsleves.. willis reed nate Thurmond etc

They would rape big men of today's league. Idc if they can't shoot long range.. that's actually a flaw to play that way at that height

Only thing I agree with is guard/perimeter play getting more advanced especially with evolution of dribbling and shooting..
    Im sure they'd have success against today's bigs. Some more than others.

But my point vice versa, today's players would SHIT on older players.

You don't think Anthony Davis, Noah could have success defending Kareem? Comeon. Compared to what he was going against ?

But flip it, how many 7 footers today would straight blow by Kareem and or pull up and or (fill in the blank of the plethora of moves today's players have)

Comeon.

And yea man. The OVERALL SIZE of what we are so brainwashed now. " 3's stretch 3's 4's, stretch 4's ARE ALL THE SIZE OF AVERAGE CENTER IN THE 60's WITH 30 times the SKILL.

Damn. I guess maybe that's what's your missing bruh. To my main point about art shell. Obviously he was skilled, you don't become a hall of famer in ANY era or any sport on size alone. It's the same thing , and pure physics, players these days have WAY more skill sets and being taller and stronger. It would be the same thing. Art shell would get his shit pushed in by a decent college player today.