Default Different shooting modes

That good old shooting coach saying - "Don't change your shooting form, instead create more space in order to get your shot off"

Yes - I've been doing this, mostly utilizing picks, stepbacks and cross overs to get my shot off. What benefits me most from using this, is that it allows me to be consistent on my shot and it makes it feel like every shot is entirely the same. The main challenge is that, I have to work so hard on creating space and due to the low elevation of my shot it is sometimes challenging.

But lately, I've been thinking of adding the "two-motion" shooting form in my game. Two-motion shooting form is more of like Kobe/MJ shooting form where there is increased elevation in their shooting jump and they are shooting at the peak of their jump shot, not on the way up like the one I've described previously. Basically the main benefit is not needing that much space to get your shot off due to the increased elevation.

Now my main question is, do you guys have different shooting modes in the game? I am thinking of incorporating these two forms, but the former being my main form and using the latter on "hard drive to the right/left - then suddenly pull up situations". My only worry is that, it might confuse me during the game having two sets of shooting form.

Default Re: Different shooting modes

Ive played like the way you have described my whole life, streaky, streaky shooting son. Same form, just work on elevation.

Coming off a long knee rehab and ive retooled my form and im sticking with it. i had a low release and always had trouble shooting with someone in my face, i kind of looked at Paul Pierces shot for inspiration as he doesn't elevate over guys but still gets his shot over people. Though in the end im only gonna shoot when im open, unless we are playing street ball haha

BEAST

i went from jumping at peak to shooting on the way up

too many rookie defenders step their foot out and u end up landing on them. sucks to have to sit out and rehab then rework your game up to the level

i still release at peak from time to time cuz it looks so much better

Different form = different results. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    i went from jumping at peak to shooting on the way up

too many rookie defenders step their foot out and u end up landing on them. sucks to have to sit out and rehab then rework your game up to the level

i still release at peak from time to time cuz it looks so much better
    i really like this point. Most people think they are shooting at their peak but in fact they are shooting as they are starting to come down (i've done a lot of shooting clinics and most of them talk about this).

I try to envision myself shooting as I'm reaching my peak instead of at my peak because it helps prevent myself from letting the ball go on the way down, which a) makes your shot flat and b) actually requires more strength/wastes energy. Only elite level athletes can do this repeatedly without getting tired. Me? I'm athletic but I'd prefer to not to waste my legs everytime I shoot the ball.

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast

I hear you! I've had the same problem. A lot of defenders are late and put their feet right under you while you are in the air. I've injured my ankle like this before and now I'm more careful about it.

usually I shoot on the way up and I don't really jump as high as I can. Only when I'm close to the basket I use a "real" jumpshot in order not to get blocked. To do that from 3 point range like the pros do would probably be very difficult for me.

i am 6 foot 1. i am shooting at the peak of my jump. and it is the best way if defender is in your face. you need flawless shooting motion, with quick release i managed to shoot over 6 foot 7 guys without getting my shot blocked.

i cant do that constantly because of legs. conditionig must be on the high level
    Last edited by duskovujosevic; 09-24-2013 at 05:36 PM.

College superstar

Food for thought:

If you need the extra elevation to get the shot off, it's probably not a good shot in the first place.

Do you guys reckon professional players practice different elevations/shooting modes? Seems like they also vary their shot depending whether they are open or not.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    Most people think they are shooting at their peak but in fact they are shooting as they are starting to come down (i've done a lot of shooting clinics and most of them talk about this).

I try to envision myself shooting as I'm reaching my peak instead of at my peak because it helps prevent myself from letting the ball go on the way down, which a) makes your shot flat and b) actually requires more strength/wastes energy.
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. A very common misconception amongst players is that "shooting at the peak of your jump" means waiting to begin the actual arm-shooting process until your elevation has plateaued. This results in players (as you mentioned) actually not releasing their shot until their elevation has begun to decline.

I believe shooters should aim for one smooth, continuous motion. I do not support attempting to implement any kind of freezing or segmentation. Even when referencing Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, they're ideally trying to complete their shots in a single motion (and their release process still begins on their way up).

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    Do you guys reckon professional players practice different elevations/shooting modes? Seems like they also vary their shot depending whether they are open or not.
    I believe players like to prepare for every given situation. For example, I've heard Steve Nash's pre-game layup routines involved all sorts of weird and wild attempts from random and rare angles. Teammates would scoff, then watch him employ those finishes on the odd chance they popped up in-game.

However, I do not believe NBA players are consciously altering their jump shot release points on the fly. Everyone wants to get to a precise release point they've practiced and perfected over many years. Extenuating circumstances may rarely induce a double pump of some sort (or hanging onto the release for an extra split second) but those plays tend to be more improvisation than a payoff of endless amounts of practice on that particular release.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.