NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Bulls = 1-man show on offense; only MJ scored 10-20 over 2nd option to win all Finals

so only he faced the "1-man-show" defensive attention his whole career

Kenny Smith once said only MJ didn't have a teammate that required a double team.. his whole career

Ultimately, MJ is the only all-time great that led his team in scoring for every playoff series of his career, and he did it by an average margin of 15.4 ppg over 2nd option

No comparison.. 1-man show

Default Re: Bulls = 1-man show on offense; only MJ scored 10-20 over 2nd option to win all Finals

There was nothing they could do to stop him. They couldn't just sag off him like he was Lebron and not expect him to make every open jump shot. He was arguably the greatest mid-range shooter of his era.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Default Re: Bulls = 1-man show on offense; only MJ scored 10-20 over 2nd option to win all Finals

Aint Pippen GOAT #2 average 21/9/9 with great D for the full three ring run?

Sheesh it is to EZ

"Since Jordan's move from off-guard, the Bulls have gone 11-5. That, in itself, should be reward enough.

But even Jordan has been caught in triple-double-mania.

During breaks in games, Jordan has been wandering over to the scorer's table to get updates on how many rebounds, assists and points he needs to fill his three double-figure quotas.

"The guys at the scorer's desk let me know what I need," he said. "They tell me, 'You need three assists; you need two rebounds."'

Jordan also has been double-checking the figures with Chicago assistants.

"They keep me in tune," he said. "They keep reminding me when I come back to the huddle, how much I need."

Last Sunday, at home against New Jersey, the 10th assist was Jordan's final goal.

"I knew I had nine assists," he said, "and I looked at (forward) Brad (Sellers), and said, 'Brad, can I count on you for my 10th?' And he said, 'yeah' and hit a jumper from the baseline."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...048-story.html

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    "Since Jordan's move from off-guard, the Bulls have gone 11-5. That, in itself, should be reward enough.

But even Jordan has been caught in triple-double-mania.

During breaks in games, Jordan has been wandering over to the scorer's table to get updates on how many rebounds, assists and points he needs to fill his three double-figure quotas.

"The guys at the scorer's desk let me know what I need," he said. "They tell me, 'You need three assists; you need two rebounds."'

Jordan also has been double-checking the figures with Chicago assistants.

"They keep me in tune," he said. "They keep reminding me when I come back to the huddle, how much I need."

Last Sunday, at home against New Jersey, the 10th assist was Jordan's final goal.

"I knew I had nine assists," he said, "and I looked at (forward) Brad (Sellers), and said, 'Brad, can I count on you for my 10th?' And he said, 'yeah' and hit a jumper from the baseline."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...048-story.html
    bloodbath

Why couldn

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay

Pippen average 20/8/6 with great D for the full three ring run?
    Plenty of guys had 20-point production from their 2nd option to win a ring, but no one had to score 10-20 points above that to win like MJ did in all his Finals

Whether it was a championship year or not, mj's gap over his 2nd option was always "1 man show" level.. at his peak or overall, no one in history scored more above their 2nd option than MJ (biggest 1-man show ever, goat scorer)

It's interesting because in the 93' Finals, MJ outscored barkley by 16 ppg, while pippen outscored kj by 5, and the remaining bulls got outscored at each spot down the line (#3 spot thru the remaining roster).. The bulls just didn't have good offensive talent, so MJ carried the goat load by setting Finals records (41 ppg) to keep his team in it

Even in the "real" Finals that occasionally occur in the conference finals (92' ecf), MJ carried sub-par 2nd option scoring with 15 ppg more than Pippen's 16 on 40%

Otoh, lebron wins by having his 2nd option carry an equal scoring load (only 2-6 ppg less in Finals series wins).. and both his 2nd options are lethal scorers that command a double team (Wade/Kyrie), whereas the often non-offensive Scottie virtually never did
    Last edited by 3ball; 02-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post

Since Jordan's retirement from the Bulls in October 1993, Pippen has been named the most valuable player in the NBA all-star game and has been recognized as the best player in the league whose name isn't O'Neal or Olajuwon. He has led the Bulls in every major category, including minutes, points, assists, rebounds and blocks. Before the league's trading deadline passed recently, teams from around the league salivated every time the words "trade" and "Pippen" were mentioned in the same sentence.
    ahead of the famed 96 season:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Smith
    Oct. 1, 1995 Q&A with Bulls head coach Phil Jackson

Q: Now that the Bulls seem intent on keeping Pippen, will he respond and perform back in Jordan's shadow?

A: "I can only say again this is the most unselfish superstar in the game of basketball. He's a guy we asked five or six years ago not to worry about points, get assists and rebounds and the wins and points will take care of themselves. This year I want him to be a leader and fill in, get assists, find the guys who have to score, play defense, maybe score when a 6-foot guy is playing him. But I still think Scottie will lead this team in rebounding, more or less, and assists."
    that speaks for itself, straight from the coach's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    ahead of the famed 96 season:

that speaks for itself, straight from the coach's mouth.
    Phil also said that a 22 y.o Kobe was the best all-around player who's ever played for him.

http://a.espncdn.com/nba/playoffs200...1/1207916.html

"I've always held the bar up very high for Kobe and he's not only reached that bar, but he's jumping over the top of it right now," Phil Jackson said. "It's the best that I've seen a player of mine play with an overall court game."

Friendliest Poster :) E_Stamkos's Avatar

GOAT... Nobody else comes close

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Phil also said that a 22 y.o Kobe was the best all-around player who's ever played for him.

http://a.espncdn.com/nba/playoffs200...1/1207916.html

you used a coach explaining assigned team roles for a chance to push a kobe opinion quote in? Shameless.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Yes pippen was a fine defender,......blah blah blah blah
    coach Phil Jackson wiped out your point. Pippen wasn't asked to score or even seek out shots.

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    coach Phil Jackson wiped out your point. Pippen wasn't asked to score or even seek out shots.
    Phil said not to worry about points because that wasn't Pippen's game, especially as a young player.. that's what a coach tells a non-scorer...

Alongside jordan, pippen was within 1-3 points of his max capability 22.0 ppg (94') - so near max capacity next to MJ, yet MJ still had to score more above his 2nd option than anyone ever (10-20 more to win Finals)

Otoh, lebron wins by having his 2nd option carry an equal scoring load (only 2-6 ppg less in Finals).. and both his 2nd options are lethal scorers that command a double team (Wade/Kyrie), whereas Scottie was often non-offensive (i.e. draymond), and virtually never commanded a double

Whether it was a championship year or not, mj's gap over his 2nd option was always "1 man show" level.. at his peak or overall, no one in history scored more above their 2nd option than MJ, and only he scored 10-20 ppg more to win his Finals