Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Kobe is a better dunker than Jordan

Another quality of Jordan that he has in spades over Kobe, STRENGHT!!! Pure raw STRENGHT!!!

Watch the dunk he had on Laimbeer at 10:30. Basically Bill made NO PLAY ON THE BALL, spiking with full strength MJ's forearm WITH BOTH HANDS!!! No harm, no foul, just a dunk upside Laimbeer's head!

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Slowly step away from the keyboard and watch A REAL Jordan dunk compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPRyG5bOOtY

NOBODY in the history of the league has combined the leaping ability, gracefulness, power, versatility, fearlessness and creativity like Michael Jordan did!!!

Remember A TON of the dunks Jordan pulled off was in the era of clogged paints and NO FLAGRANT FOUL RULE so in a lot of situations Michael was carrying 1, 2 or even 3 guys to the rim WITH HIM!!! Look at the people Jordan was dunking on: Shaq, Kareem, Eaton, Robinson, Moses, Olajuwon, Rollins, Parish, McHale, Laimbeer, Mourning, Mutombo etc...

Like someone mentioned, Jordan's hand size allowed him to fully exploit his leaping prowess and turn those dunks into artistic fluid movements while Kobe had to STRAIN a lot on his dunks because his small hands could not absorb heavy contact while leaping from farther out.

Jordan has an argument to being the GREATEST dunker of all time while Kobe has a hard time breaking the top 5 not to mention he TRIED COPYING ALL OF MJ'S MOVES!!! LOL
    GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    If you count the rookie/sophmore contest as a game....Lebron has literally done a better version of every dunk Kobe did in the dunk contest....in a game. That said.....neither is better than Jordan.

Lebron doesnt attack the basket like he hates humanity like MJ did....so he has few brutal jump out of your seat posters relative to his athletic ability. Kobe occasionally would go try to dunk on someone just to....but he didnt have the explosion of Jordan.

[COLOR="Red"]I always liked Kobes up and under dunks and he bodied a few people with the quick chest to chest one handers.....
    [/COLOR]

But I never saw him do anything I think the others were incapable of. I dont believe Kobe had the physical ability to make some of the plays ive seen out of Jordan.
    Every player has dunks they excel at and don't excel at. Kobe probably did the up and under dunks better than MJ. And he does have some monsterous chest to chest dunks off two feet. But everything else, MJ literally sh*ts on Kobe.

And another good point about how MJ attacked the basket like he wanted to kill the basket every time. He just brought a FEROCITY to the game that few had.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    And another good point about how MJ attacked the basket like he wanted to kill the basket every time. He just brought a FEROCITY to the game that few had.

on a scale of joe johnson to westbrook where do you think MJ would fit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Big164
    I'm a Kobe fan and even I think op is on pcp or something. Vince? Possibly... But Kobe ain't even close to being close. Just not that great of a leaper

Some guys are vertical dunkers, jumping off 2 feet, deep knee bend and exploding vertically (Nique, VC, JRich, Gordon, etc) and some are horizontal dunkers, jumping off one feet from distance and covering ground horizontally (Lavine, Drexler, Erving, etc).

MJ could do both. That pic up there is something no one can duplicate. No one could contort their body in the air like that and not fall on their face. LOL. MJ's body control/agility was simply on another level to another in history and I don't think i'm exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    on a scale of joe johnson to westbrook where do you think MJ would fit ?
    Wesbrook/MJ both were both 100 on a scale of 1-100.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Slowly step away from the keyboard and watch A REAL Jordan dunk compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPRyG5bOOtY

NOBODY in the history of the league has combined the leaping ability, gracefulness, power, versatility, fearlessness and creativity like Michael Jordan did!!!

Remember A TON of the dunks Jordan pulled off was in the era of clogged paints and NO FLAGRANT FOUL RULE so in a lot of situations Michael was carrying 1, 2 or even 3 guys to the rim WITH HIM!!! Look at the people Jordan was dunking on: Shaq, Kareem, Eaton, Robinson, Moses, Olajuwon, Rollins, Parish, McHale, Laimbeer, Mourning, Mutombo etc...

Like someone mentioned, Jordan's hand size allowed him to fully exploit his leaping prowess and turn those dunks into artistic fluid movements while Kobe had to STRAIN a lot on his dunks because his small hands could not absorb heavy contact while leaping from farther out.

Jordan has an argument to being the GREATEST dunker of all time while Kobe has a hard time breaking the top 5 not to mention he TRIED COPYING ALL OF MJ'S MOVES!!! LOL

One of the best MJ dunk compilations on YouTube. Saw that several times. Anyone who doesn't watch that 27 minute clip and doesn't think he has a legit case for GOAT dunker is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Some guys are vertical dunkers, jumping off 2 feet, deep knee bend and exploding vertically (Nique, VC, JRich, Gordon, etc) and some are horizontal dunkers, jumping off one feet from distance and covering ground horizontally (Lavine, Drexler, Erving, etc).

MJ could do both. That pic up there is something no one can duplicate. No one could contort their body in the air like that and not fall on their face. LOL. MJ's body control/agility was simply on another level to another in history and I don't think i'm exaggerating.
    LaBran one-legged goat

Made that high school varsity squad

Dunks based on pure athleticism - MJ, dude looked like he was floating sometimes

Dunks based on creativity - Kobe, but I think this is more preference and just time

MJ also had a shit ton more posters on those beast centers of the 90s.
    Last edited by bond10; 11-07-2016 at 12:52 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

MJ's layups > Kobe's dunks

Serious.

Are you serious?

The difference is, there's nothing Kobe did dunk-wise that MJ couldn't duplicate if he came along after Kobe instead of the reverse. MJ being a better jumper, more explosion, and the bigger hands argument would lend themselves to doing the stuff you saw from Kobe but would likely look better simply because MJ was a superior athletic specimen. Look at some of the shit Jason Richardson was pulling two years after Vince Carter did it, I'd argue J-Rich's dunk contest repertoire was overall more creative, but would anyone doubt that *athletically*, VC couldn't have pulled off that shit? Dunking is one of those things where 'today's' player will usually have a creative advantage, since they're using yesteryear's player as a base and then adding onto it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    The difference is, there's nothing Kobe did dunk-wise that MJ couldn't duplicate if he came along after Kobe instead of the reverse. MJ being a better jumper, more explosion, and the bigger hands argument would lend themselves to doing the stuff you saw from Kobe but would likely look better simply because MJ was a superior athletic specimen. Look at some of the shit Jason Richardson was pulling two years after Vince Carter did it, I'd argue J-Rich's dunk contest repertoire was overall more creative, but would anyone doubt that *athletically*, VC couldn't have pulled off that shit? Dunking is one of those things where 'today's' player will usually have a creative advantage, since they're using yesteryear's player as a base and then adding onto it.

well yea but then Dr J fans could technically come in here (if they existed) and say MJ copied him and built off his base.. and then some random globetrotter can come in and say Dr J stole off him.. and so on and so forth. At some point you have to give credit to players that have 'added onto it'.. thats how the game progresses.

Im have him ranked between 11th and 13th

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    well yea but then Dr J fans could technically come in here (if they existed) and say MJ copied him and built off his base.. and then some random globetrotter can come in and say Dr J stole off him.. and so on and so forth. At some point you have to give credit to players that have 'added onto it'.. thats how the game progresses.
    Right, that's what I'm saying basically. MJ elevated what Dr. J did, David Thompson, that type of thing. I don't think Kobe elevated what MJ did. He has his own wrinkles( especially his baseline dunks, those always impressed me the most) but if you can find examples of similar dunks between them( one hand tomahawks for example) Kobe didn't extend what MJ did on that kind of stuff. Whether it be height off the ground, the way he held the ball back because he had complete control of it or the little things he did with it in-air, or the way he tilted his body in-air, MJ just looked better doing those kinds of dunks. MJ was never much of a 360 degree dunker, which was Kobe's thing, but obviously MJ could pull it off no less gracefully and likely with more agility and power. It's kind of obvious in certain situations when Kobe strained to do certain things that were 'just' beyond his scope because they required increased air ability.