Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Andrew Wiggins vs Jabari Parker

If you were the GM of a team and you had to pick one of them now to lead your team in the future, who would you pick?

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins vs Jabari Parker

Extremely tough choice. Parker was injured this past EYBL season but scouts still consider him the best player in 2013.

Parker is a bigger and (will be) stronger Melo/Pierce in that he's got an excellent jumper but still has enough strength quickness to occasionally finish with the dunk. He's 6'9 in shoes and he has a 6'11 wing span and at 16 is already 220 pounds, so his size/strength will never be a problem. He's got a very strong shot from pretty much anywhere on the floor and can do both set and jump shots. While pretty explosive, he's not quite at the level of Wiggins in terms of speed, quickness, or hops. I can see him developing into a combo forward (not a tweener) that can play both forward positions really well, mixing up wing play and post play (especially because his strength as of now is better than his athleticism). Looking at absolute maximum potential he has more than Melo just because while both bigger and more athletic than Melo, he shows the jumpshot (for a 17 year old) that Melo does, as well as strong finishing around the rim. His ability t get to the rim isn't as crafty as Melo, but his size helps. Doesn't show great ball handling though.

Wiggins' comparison is more of a Durant/Kobe hybrid. He's very much like Durant in that he's long (though not as big as Parker, being only 6'7 in shoes, matching his 6'11 wingspan, but weight 30 pounds less) with a good but awkward looking shot. Like Durant he's more focused on scoring than playmaking, and is a rebounder too while using his length for blocks. He's also very athletic, definitely more so than Parker, and is very good at using that to get into the rim (like Durant) but he's not quite as physically dominant as a LeBron was in high school. He also gets a couple things from Kobe scoring wise. While only 17 he's very good off the dribble creating his own shot, and slashing to the rim using hop steps, spin moves, hesitations etc. His handle isn't quite super tight yet but he changes it up often enough that he's still able to consistently get to the basket. A lot of people compare Wiggins to Tmac, but he neither has the length nor height to compare to Tmac, as Tmac was a full 1.5 inches taller, and a 3 inch wider wing span. Tmac also showed more skill out of the post than I've seen from Wiggins so far.

His absolute ceiling can be a slightly more athletic Kobe (though not as good a playmaker) or a shorter Durant, depending on how well he works on his offensive versatility.

Parker's potential is a bigger and more athletic Melo.

Of course these comparisons can be thrown right out the window depending on if Wiggins grows a couple inches or if Parker gets more athletic (like Griffin did after college somehow) as they're both still just 17. As of now though, that's the best I see these players developing.

As for which one will be better in the NBA, it's very very close. One has size, the other has athleticism. Both can shoot, both have decent handles, and both while willing passers aren't born playmakers.

For some reason, Jabari seems more superstarish to me.

What part of his game? Or his confidence or style?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    Or his confidence or style?
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Pretty much.
    Eh, Durant is very similar to Wiggins demeanor wise but it hasn't stopped him from becoming the 2nd best player and top superstar in the league. He may not be as "big" as Kobe/LeBron, but he's still respected as the second best player, and to me that's more important than popularity.

Banned

Parker is a bigger and (will be) stronger Melo/Pierce in that he's got an excellent jumper but still has enough strength quickness to occasionally finish with the dunk. He's 6'9 in shoes and he has a 6'11 wing span and at 16 is already 220 pounds, so his size/strength will never be a problem. He's got a very strong shot from pretty much anywhere on the floor and can do both set and jump shots. While pretty explosive, he's not quite at the level of Wiggins in terms of speed, quickness, or hops. I can see him developing into a combo forward (not a tweener) that can play both forward positions really well, mixing up wing play and post play (especially because his strength as of now is better than his athleticism). Looking at absolute maximum potential he has more than Melo just because while both bigger and more athletic than Melo, he shows the jumpshot (for a 17 year old) that Melo does, as well as strong finishing around the rim. His ability t get to the rim isn't as crafty as Melo, but his size helps. Doesn't show great ball handling though.

Wiggins' comparison is more of a Durant/Kobe hybrid. He's very much like Durant in that he's long (though not as big as Parker, being only 6'7 in shoes, matching his 6'11 wingspan, but weight 30 pounds less) with a good but awkward looking shot. Like Durant he's more focused on scoring than playmaking, and is a rebounder too while using his length for blocks. He's also very athletic, definitely more so than Parker, and is very good at using that to get into the rim (like Durant) but he's not quite as physically dominant as a LeBron was in high school. He also gets a couple things from Kobe scoring wise. While only 17 he's very good off the dribble creating his own shot, and slashing to the rim using hop steps, spin moves, hesitations etc. His handle isn't quite super tight yet but he changes it up often enough that he's still able to consistently get to the basket. A lot of people compare Wiggins to Tmac, but he neither has the length nor height to compare to Tmac, as Tmac was a full 1.5 inches taller, and a 3 inch wider wing span. Tmac also showed more skill out of the post than I've seen from Wiggins so far.

His absolute ceiling can be a slightly more athletic Kobe (though not as good a playmaker) or a shorter Durant, depending on how well he works on his offensive versatility.

Parker's potential is a bigger and more athletic Melo.

Of course these comparisons can be thrown right out the window depending on if Wiggins grows a couple inches or if Parker gets more athletic (like Griffin did after college somehow) as they're both still just 17. As of now though, that's the best I see these players developing.

As for which one will be better in the NBA, it's very very close. One has size, the other has athleticism. Both can shoot, both have decent handles, and both while willing passers aren't born playmakers.
    Great post there But who do you think is the best? Repped.
    Last edited by Shade8780; 08-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Great post there But who do you think is the best? Repped.
    They're both 17 and so good it's really hard to make any predictions. I'd say as of this moment Wiggin's might be very very slightly better. If he grows an inch or two more though, he'd have by far the more potential because he already has crazy hops and decent speed/quickness.

As of now though, for potential I'd go with Parker just because he's huge. His future will be post though because he's got a really big base (his legs are really big) so strength will never be a problem with him, but he might gain so much weight that mobility on the wing might become troublesome after years in the league. If he can stay small though (220 like he is now) he can be a crazy perimeter player just because of his size and arm length he'll both shoot and finish over anyone else on the wing.

For Wiggins though, I recently saw a couple highlights of junior LeBron and Wiggins looks better than that version of LeBron. The difference is LeBron got much bigger and more physically dominant by his senior year, and if Wiggins makes that jump he might be a better rookie than LeBron. If he stays the same size he'll still be great but 6'7 (in shoes) 195 lbs doesn't scream out dominating in the NBA. Not everyone is Michael or Kobe, being 6'6 and dominating the league is very very rare. Reason I'm talking about dominating the league though is because they both show crazy upside. For 17 year olds, neither of them has a real big weakness (like for LeBron it was his jumper, Durant it was his strength and ball handling, Griffin it was his shooting and free throws, etc.) Every rookie has had big problems somewhere or another. These guys have crazy overall game for some reason. It's exciting to think what they can do in the league.

Dave, which college programs do you think best suit Parker and Wiggins?

Dave, which college programs do you think best suit Parker and Wiggins?
    I know absolutely nothing about college programs, and which school focuses on what. You have any idea about that?

I know absolutely nothing about college programs, and which school focuses on what. You have any idea about that?
    Haha, yea I do watch a decent amount of CBB but I thought I'd
    pour into you wealth of basketball knowledge to get a better answer. Right now I have nothing better than the writers of BleacherReport.

Haha, yea I do watch a decent amount of CBB but I thought I'd
    pour into you wealth of basketball knowledge to get a better answer. Right now I have nothing better than the writers of BleacherReport.
    Haha, hardly a wealth of knowledge. I just watch a lot of 2014 prospects now because a) the Raptors suck, and b) we traded away our 2013 draft pick.

I've got nothing at all though about those basketball programs. What are the differences between the schools and how do they improve players certain ways?

Haha, hardly a wealth of knowledge. I just watch a lot of 2014 prospects now because a) the Raptors suck, and b) we traded away our 2013 draft pick.

I've got nothing at all though about those basketball programs. What are the differences between the schools and how do they improve players certain ways?
    Well there's coach cal and his one and dones. Basically every coach has his own philosophy and some focus on winning while others try to actually develop the players for the NBA. From what I've gathered, Jabari is a good fit for either Washington or Michigan State, and Wiggins will probably head to Kentucky.

Well there's coach cal and his one and dones. Basically every coach has his own philosophy and some focus on winning while others try to actually develop the players for the NBA. From what I've gathered, Jabari is a good fit for either Washington or Michigan State, and Wiggins will probably head to Kentucky.
    Well I'm sure since they both have number 1 pick potential, it would be better for both of them to go into a program to develop them more than just win. Anthony Davis improved quite a bit in Kentucky I'd bet, but I'd rather have seen him on a team trying to score 20 points every game than on a team where he was a 3rd or 4th option on offense.