Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: No Progression in Extension Talks Between Kawhi and Spurs

just pay the young man
    I mean ****ing Hayward and Parsons get close to max dollar, why should he take less when he has so much upside

He got his ring and FMVP, time to get paid, if it was any other team people would have called the FO cheap. Shouldn't he be on par at least with Parsons?

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    so, two things.

-Leonard should ask for the max
    -Spurs should not give it to him, they'll probably trade him before next year and get something back that does as well as Leonard did without asking for the max.
    This...I'm not mad at him for wanting the max, but I wouldn't give it to him unless I have too...Like many other nba players, thats just the market nowadays, players who aren't worth max money are getting max contracts. He's a good player, hell a very good player but the max?

I'd wait to see him beasting on another squad other than SA to give him the max...He does play for the best organization in the NBA basically..That has something to do with his success...

he's not worth a max contract now, but he will be in the future. He's the future of the Spurs. Tim, Manu, and Tony are all aging.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Leonard was not the best player on the Spurs last year - nor was he close to the best player the year before. And unless you haven't been paying attention, he doesn't come off the bench - he's a starter.

2013-14 regular season
    Parker 16.7 pts / 5.7 asst
    Duncan 15.1 pts / 9.7 rebs / 3 asst
    Leonard 12.8 pts / 6.2 rebs / 2 asst

2012-13 regular season
    Parker 20.3 pts / 7.6 asst
    Duncan 17.8 pts / 9.9 rebs / 2.7 asst / 2.7 blks
    Leonard 11.9 pts / 6 rebs / 1.6 asst / 1.7 stl

I do agree with the danger regarding him getting offered a short contract. Spurs need to lock him up for as long as possible, but I see their dilemma as he has not proven that he can carry a team during the regular season. They are very careful with their money, and a max contract is a lot to pay for someone who hasn't proven anything outside of the NBA Finals.

The way I see it - Spurs don't have a choice - they have no way to get a comparable player and he's done everything they've asked of him. It's not his fault that Pop plays him less than 30 minutes a game and hasn't integrated him more into the offense so that he can prove himself. I only hope there's enough left over to re-up Green.
    Where did I even imply he didn't start? Of course he starts.

And quoting naked box score stats is so 1990s.

The Spurs without Kawhi aren't as good as OKC, LAC, and quite possibly Dal, GSW, Memphis. Pop knows this and awakening him before G3 is what swung the Finals last year.

College superstar

Judging by the responses so far its like people have no clue how different the play of SAS is from the rest of the league and they have no idea how they are successful. Perhaps one day I'll write out an essay on it.

it's not him that is asking it's his agent, thats why players hire agents.

thats how negotiations are done. you ask for everything and get what u can.

As much as I like our finals MVP, he's not a max contract. But neither Parsons and Klay are, and they got paid. So Spurs should pay him max since they won't land a significant FA anytime soon and they won't find another Duncan in the draft.

College superstar

In 4 years when the Spurs could have him under contract for ~17M with a cap of 90M and a tax line of ~110M I am going to laugh about the existence of this thread.