Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Dunker of All-Time (power forwards)

Jumpin Johnny Green
    Spencer Haywood
    George McGinnis
    Ralph Sampson
    Xavier McDaniel
    Derrick Coleman (dunking over Shaq warns you a spot)
    Larry Johnson
    Clarence Weatherspoon

UPDATED TOP TEN
    1. Shawn Kemp
    2. Blake Griffin
    3. Antonio McDyess
    4. Amar`e Stoudemire
    5. Charles Barkley
    6. Gus Johnson
    7. Tom Chambers
    8. Kenyon Martin
    9. Larry Nance
    10. Stromile Swift

HM: Larry Kenon, Kevin Garnett, Otis Thorpe, Karl Malone, Larry Johnson, Connie Hawkins, Josh Smith, Larry Johnson, David Lee, Derrick Coleman

Thoughts before I finalize this and move on to the next position...?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    UPDATED TOP TEN
    1. Shawn Kemp
    2. Blake Griffin
    3. Antonio McDyess
    4. Amar`e Stoudemire
    5. Charles Barkley
    6. Gus Johnson
    7. Tom Chambers
    8. Kenyon Martin
    9. Larry Nance
    10. Stromile Swift

HM: Larry Kenon, Kevin Garnett, Otis Thorpe, Karl Malone, Larry Johnson, Connie Hawkins, Josh Smith, Larry Johnson, David Lee, Derrick Coleman

Just for the sake of curiosity, do you have any clips of Larry Kenon? I am quite unfamiliar with his dunking style and ability.

Regarding the actual top ten, I am wondering if Charles Barkley should be placed above Antonio McDyess. Barkley seemed to be just as powerful and perhaps a more versatile dunker, though I do not believe he could reach as high as McDyess (due to a lower vert than Antonio). I also feel Barkley likely has a much deeper NBA dunking resume.

I am also an all-time fan of Kenyon Martin as a dunker, but I am unsure of whom I would move him above. And while Swift is an all-timer, I wonder if he played long enough to truly jump up the list. For the time he was around, he was certainly one of the most creative and athletic (though sometimes I view him as a center).

I suppose Gus Johnson would be the other question mark. I've seen the clips of his that exist but they do not jump out at me, per se. And I think that's the difficult thing about ranking dunkers. He came from an era that basically had very little dunk history and those who came after him built off what he was able to do, but most of his finishes seem to pale in comparison to others mentioned.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 09-12-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Just for the sake of curiosity, do you have any clips of Larry Kenon? I am quite unfamiliar with his dunking style and ability.

Regarding the actual top ten, I am wondering if Charles Barkley should be placed above Antonio McDyess. Barkley seemed to be just as powerful and perhaps a more versatile dunker, though I do not believe he could reach as high as McDyess (due to a lower vert than Antonio). I also feel Barkley likely has a much deeper NBA dunking resume.

I am also an all-time fan of Kenyon Martin as a dunker, but I am unsure of whom I would move him above. And while Swift is an all-timer, I wonder if he played long enough to truly jump up the list. For the time he was around, he was certainly one of the most creative and athletic (though sometimes I view him as a center).

I suppose Gus Johnson would be the other question mark. I've seen the clips of his that exist but they do not jump out at me, per se. And I think that's the difficult thing about ranking dunkers. He came from an era that basically had very little dunk history and those who came after him built off what he was able to do, but most of his finishes seem to pale in comparison to others mentioned.
    Gus Johnson broke 3 backboards in the 60s. Think of a more athletic Barkley. I'd put LJ over Stromile.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Gus Johnson broke 3 backboards in the 60s. Think of a more athletic Barkley. I'd put LJ over Stromile.
    I apologize for being difficult in this regard, but I am unsure if breaking 1960's backboards automatically warrants a slot as the #6 best dunking power forward of all-time. It's just a tough get, as the footage that does exist of Johnson (likely after knee injuries wore him down) is highly unimpressive from a dunking standpoint. As such, it's tough to turn around and say simply, "Welp, not impressed, but I'll just assume he was a better dunker than Kenyon Martin, Larry Nance, and Kevin Garnett in his prime." You know?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I apologize for being difficult in this regard, but I am unsure if breaking 1960's backboards automatically warrants a slot as the #6 best dunking power forward of all-time. It's just a tough get, as the footage that does exist of Johnson (likely after knee injuries wore him down) is highly unimpressive from a dunking standpoint. As such, it's tough to turn around and say simply, "Welp, not impressed, but I'll just assume he was a better dunker than Kenyon Martin, Larry Nance, and Kevin Garnett in his prime." You know?
    Just youtube Kenon and you'll get a good sense for his ups. He was in the 1976 Dunk Contest, I believe that is available in its entirity online.

As for Gus, stories exist where he dunked people hanging on his back, Russell said he dunked over Wilt, Kareem Thurmond and himself, never heard him boast of any other non-center doing this. I get what you're saying but let's not hold him to a modern "pics or it didn't happen" standard

1. Shawn Kemp
    2. Blake Griffin
    3. Amare Stoudemire
    4. Charles Barkley
    5. Gus Johnson
    6. Larry Nance
    7. Larry Kenon
    8. Kevin Garnett
    9. Otis Thorpe
    10. Karl Malone

I know I'm missing some guys...who?
    Your top 4 are the same order as mine. Kamp is easily #1.

NBA rookie of the year

Loaded position for dunkers at the top end.

For me, prime Amare would be #1. The full list is like so, in no order:

Amare
    Kemp
    Nance
    Griffin
    Barkley

5. Charles Barkley
    9. Larry Nance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdBDOyzh8T8&t=1m40s

On the real, just thought Nance should be a bit higher... Oh and Bobby Jones deserves at least to be in the HM (if you think of him as more of a PF).

Kemp's #1 without much doubt, yea.

NBA Superstar

Just youtube Kenon and you'll get a good sense for his ups. He was in the 1976 Dunk Contest, I believe that is available in its entirity online.

As for Gus, stories exist where he dunked people hanging on his back, Russell said he dunked over Wilt, Kareem Thurmond and himself, never heard him boast of any other non-center doing this. I get what you're saying but let's not hold him to a modern "pics or it didn't happen" standard
    Respectfully, we may just have to agree to disagree with Johnson. I am not saying he did not elevate in his prime. But it's just tough to gauge, let alone arbitrarily placing him as the sixth best dunking power forward of all-time, without having any real way of comparing or witnessing his exploits. Moreover, the dunk clips that do exist (likely post knee injury) don't exactly do a lot for his legend.

That said, I see the issue, since not including him could be seen as punishing him for not playing when all games were filmed. But in this particular case, having an idea of what being a great dunker in the 60's usually meant, while understanding how an absence of film often opens the door for myths to take off a little, with the video evidence that does exist doing no favors, it's tough to place him above a number of those other great dunkers listed.

Sidenote, simply as an honorable mention, I think Chris Webber deserves a shout out. He came to mind while trying to reason through Gus Johnson. I wondered how we'd view Webber as a dunker if we only had some of his highlights from age 30 on forward. I think we'd still be able to tell that Webber may have had a heck of a dunking prime. I'm not sure I can see that for sure from Gus.

Gus was considered the most athletic player of the 60s (not counting Russell and Wilt.) Maybe even more so than young Baylor. There are a few clips from his early Baltimore days where you can see how quick he was and how fast of a jumper he was.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Gus was considered the most athletic player of the 60s (not counting Russell and Wilt.) Maybe even more so than young Baylor. There are a few clips from his early Baltimore days where you can see how quick he was and how fast of a jumper he was.
    I believe it. And I certainly do not mean to come across as though I am criticizing Gus Johnson. But similar to how I'm unsure if Elgin Baylor would make my dunking small forward top ten list, I'm unsure if Gus would make my dunking power forward top 10 (though I enjoy that one handed tip dunk he had).

It's just tough for me is all. At least when comparing overall skill, there's statistics that can help tell a story (if used within proper perspective). Dunking is quite arbitrary and interpretive. And without visual evidence, there's often not a lot left to interpret, for better or worse. That's why the #6 placement feels a little funny. Even just using anecdotes, what about Johnson's suggest he was undoubtedly a greater dunker than, say, Kevin Garnett?

UPDATED TOP TEN
    1. Shawn Kemp
    2. Blake Griffin
    3. Antonio McDyess
    4. Amar`e Stoudemire
    5. Charles Barkley
    6. Gus Johnson
    7. Tom Chambers
    8. Kenyon Martin
    9. Larry Nance
    10. Stromile Swift

U got all the greats for sure! And the top four u have to me are sort of like the family tree for the big physical, freakish athlete kind of PF. Kemp, Dyess, and Amare ALL had great midrange shots as well to complement their dunks. Blake's jumper is improving and I think will end up as the best player of the bunch. The other three guys had injuries that stopped them from their true greatness! McDyess in particular had a very short run as one of the top PF's in the world due to injury.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Larry Nance and Shawn Kemp Come To Mind In Terms of Quality Dunks. Now Quantity? Probably an 80s Sixer Barkley.