Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Default Re: Bob Pettit - A Will To Win (13 min Bob Pettit footage)

^^

Exactly. Main difference is that in the 50s/60s they actually enforced the rules that Dr. Naismith worked so hard to create. Now the NBA blatantly ignores the rules to promote the ESPN hype/propaganda. So much carrying, traveling, HGH use, palming, no defensive 3 seconds, no handchecking, players hiding out of bounds,etc. Makes real basketball fans sick to their stomach. Someone like Lebron would struggle to be the 12th man on the Pistons in the 60s, but is a borderline allstar in today's NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3
    ^^

Exactly. Main difference is that in the 50s/60s they actually enforced the rules that Dr. Naismith worked so hard to create. Now the NBA blatantly ignores the rules to promote the ESPN hype/propaganda. So much carrying, traveling, HGH use, palming, no defensive 3 seconds, no handchecking, players hiding out of bounds,etc. Makes real basketball fans sick to their stomach. Someone like Lebron would struggle to be the 12th man on the Pistons in the 60s, but is a borderline allstar in today's NBA
    why isn't this guy banned yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    why isn't this guy banned yet?
    Jeff's alt.

People actually think that AI should be ranked higher than Pettit.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=314338&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Jeff's alt.

People actually think that AI should be ranked higher than Pettit.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=314338&page=3
    Well, that's all really subjective. Not that I agree with Iverson over Pettit, but it's not all that clear cut due to preference. Accolades and achievements might go into Pettit's favor, but trying to differentiate between eras while putting everything into context is very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    While, that's all really subjective. Not that I agree with Iverson over Pettit, but it's not all that clear cut due to preference. Accolades and achievements might go into Pettit's favor, but trying to differentiate between eras while putting everything into context is very hard.
    I genuinely don't understand why you don't see Pettit as a better player than Iverson. Care to explain? Even with the different eras and all, evolution of the game is pretty much a given. Obviously AI has better skills.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    I genuinely don't understand why you don't see Pettit as a better player than Iverson. Care to explain?
    Arguing who's a better player is harder than it seems. Especially when you don't have footage of player over the other. Arguing who had a better career is the same thing, but seems to flow with this:

You can only argue what the players did against their competition. Since scaling competition here seems to be a real problem with posters. Accolades are hard to gauge too. Stats really don't help here since the eras were too different.

I will say that Pettit actually did perform better against his peers than Iverson did his peers Never really suggested otherwise, unless I was unclear in my earlier post.

Any elite 5-11 player has better 'skills' than a 6-9 player - they HAVE too to even be in the league. Impact however, is a totally different story. An exaggerated comparison would be someone saying AI is a better player than Shaq because he's more skilled. Well duh, he's more skilled, but does that make him a player? Because no matter how much more skilled he is than Shaq that does not mean he was capable of delivering the same impact on the game.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 11-24-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Any elite 5-11 player has better 'skills' than a 6-9 player - they HAVE too to even be in the league. Impact however, is a totally different story. An exaggerated comparison would be someone saying AI is a better player than Shaq because he's more skilled. Well duh, he's more skilled, but does that make him a player? Because no matter how much more skilled he is than Shaq that does not mean he was capable of delivering the same impact on the game.
    In your opinion, is Bob Cousy a better player than Allen Iverson ?

In your opinion, is Bob Cousy a better player than Allen Iverson ?
    No, why?

I will say that Pettit actually did perform better against his peers than Iverson did his peers Never really suggested otherwise, unless I was unclear in my earlier post.
    My bad.

No, why?
    Just asking. It's a better comparison since they were both elite guards for their respective eras. Comparing an elite guard to an elite big man from different eras gets tricky to compare.

Just asking. It's a better comparison since they were both elite guards for their respective eras. Comparing an elite guard to an elite big man from different eras gets tricky to compare.
    I do however think that Jerry West is a better player than AI, as is Oscar Robertson. That said I think AI gets criminally disrespected and underrated today, and I do not agree with the people that try to say he was a loser.

Btw I should take a moment to say thank you to the people who've acknowledged the work it takes to put together a mix like this

And Kblaze, that Larry Bird video was the first Larry Bird highlight reel I ever watched and I remember it blew me away - thanks!

Oscar Robertson would agree with you, when people ask him questions about 'era's' he always seems to be slightly irritated by the question and responds with a (paraphrasing here) "what's so different about todays game? You still rebound, you still score, you still need to get your teammates involved."

The game played today has far far more things in common with the game back than it does differences. At a glance, it's still in large part the exact same sport - with only minor rule tweaks and variations.
    The game has been played since the 1890's with essentially the same number of players, same court dimensions, same hoop diameter and height, and aside from the 24 second clock, the 3 pt line, and minor other rules...is still being played the same way today.

This and Baylor's videos are your best yet.

We can't say it enough, but you're a tremendous asset to the community. Thanks for your hard work, and keep it up.