Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default NBA Doesn't Test for HGH

"I've been in the NBA for 22 years. I talk to players all the time. I talk to retired players. And I don't hear about it," Silver said. "I don't want to be naive. I mean, we don't have HGH testing in our league. It's something that we agreed we would do with the union, and we're waiting to agree what the appropriate procedures are."

Silver also said players have pushed for stricter testing for recreational drugs.

"A player would say, 'I'm not going to say this publicly, but the last thing I want to do is be a part of a team where I have teammates who are consuming whatever drugs and therefore aren't in an optimal position to contribute to our team,'" Silver said.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...playoffs-draft

So how are we supposed to believe players don't use it?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Doesn't Test for HGH

Who does believe players don't use it?

The question is....do you care?

I do in a way....but not all that much. It bugs me because of the edge it gives them on former players who had to do it closer to the right way(people were on things even in the 70s). But im not losing sleep.

I bet 20% of the NFL is or was on something.

NBA Legend

It aint gonna make your shot go in.

It aint gonna make your arms longer to grab rebounds.

Not sayin it might not make marginal difference in some ways or that guys arent using it. I just dont think it makes the kind of difference in bball that does in other sports.

Then again, nba players have been popped for steroids in recent years. No reason to think HGH isnt happening as well. I just dont see what the major benefits are really. But honestly I dont know a ton about HGH to begin with.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 03-08-2014 at 10:57 AM.

I rule the local playground tomSR.'s Avatar

Do they test in MLB, NHL, NFL ?

As long as it's being used for recovery from injuries (preferably in the offseason), I couldn't care less.

If and when it can be proven that HGH has legitimate long-term health risks, I'll support testing/banning.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    If and when it can be proven that HGH has legitimate long-term health risks, I'll support testing/banning.
    so why do you think it's banned in the rest of the world? they naive or something?

USA's sports franchise model goes as far as to put money before things like this.

You know how many viewers Miami loses when Lebron can't play?

It's player fans, not team fans, you can't just ban a franchise player for using PEDs, it directly affects the ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    so why do you think it's banned in the rest of the world? they naive or something?

USA's sports franchise model goes as far as to put money before things like this.

You know how many viewers Miami loses when Lebron can't play?

It's player fans, not team fans, you can't just ban a franchise player for using PEDs, it directly affects the ratings.
    They're obviously erring on the side of caution. If something isn't definitely safe, why would it be approved?

Also, from my understanding HGH and its derivatives aren't very closely regulated, so there could be a contamination/impurity factor.

Not surprising, just look at the heat

NBA rookie of the year

As long as it's being used for recovery from injuries (preferably in the offseason), I couldn't care less.

You don't thinking being huge and muscular helps get rebounds, driving to the basket and low post play?

Also HGH helps May make you more explosive, increasing your speed and jumping ability.

I think that's why it helps in track and field events like sprinting and high jump. Luckily the Olympics have the best testing.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    You don't thinking being huge and muscular helps get rebounds, driving to the basket and low post play?

Also HGH helps May make you more explosive, increasing your speed and jumping ability.

I think that's why it helps in track and field events like sprinting and high jump. Luckily the Olympics have the best testing.
    Oh I agree that it does, and if the use is strengthening or recovery after working out, then I'm opposed.

If it was used ONLY for recovery from severe injuries, I'd definitely be behind it. Use would have to be approved by Silver or maybe some league-appointed arbitrator/doctor I think.

What I'm saying is, if it's gonna help a guy like DRose get back on the floor, and it can be shown that there aren't any severe health risks (this has yet to be seen), then why not let him use it?

Shit like the platelet rich therapy is pretty borderline, HGH isn't too far off depending on how it's used.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

They're obviously erring on the side of caution. If something isn't definitely safe, why would it be approved?
    If you have no idea on the subject why go ahead and just make a wild assumption as if you knew what you were talking about?

Those are all considered PEDs for various reasons, in the rest of the world they abide to international organisms which employ doctors and scientists to provide a fair even ground (FIBA, FIFA, etc), they take into consideration medical facts when considering something a PED or a legit substance.

No such a thing in the independent body of the NBA, which, like I said, puts money first in favour of PEDS, frowned upon the rest of the international sports community. In the Olympics however, they conscientiously allowed team USA to not take these tests because they are also too seduced by the color of green (they rather USA performed, just for the viewers they attract)

The worst part of all is players being vocal about not wanting them, people like Paul and such, it's a real shame.

At the end of the day, USA public is much into the whole superhero crap, they pay to see inhuman athleticism, see they're favourite player etc... If they'll go as far as to change the rules of the sport to allow for better hero ball, why wouldn't they allow any kind of PED to allow their players to perform like real super heroes? Stans will grow in masses, just look how many casuls Miami has brought.
    Last edited by SpanishACB; 03-08-2014 at 11:34 AM.

What player is the snitchin asshole who's like 'i don't want a guy on ma team who takes drugs' - if it is done in their own time then what does it have to do with you? Asshole.

Said player shifting the focus cause he be abusing HGH.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    If you have no idea on the subject why go ahead and just make a wild assumption as if you knew what you were talking about?

Those are all considered PEDs for various reasons, in the rest of the world they abide to international organisms which employ doctors and scientists to provide a fair even ground (FIBA, FIFA, etc), they take into consideration medical facts when considering something a PED or a legit substance.

No such a thing in the independent body of the NBA, which, like I said, puts money first in favour of PEDS, frowned upon the rest of the international sports community. In the Olympics however, they conscientiously allowed team USA to not take these tests because they are also too seduced by the color of green (they rather USA performed, just for the viewers they attract)

The worst part of all is players being vocal about not wanting them, people like Paul and such, it's a real shame.

At the end of the day, USA public is much into the whole superhero crap, they pay to see inhuman athleticism, see they're favourite player etc... If they'll go as far as to change the rules of the sport to allow for better hero ball, why wouldn't they allow any kind of PED to allow their players to perform like real super heroes? Stans will grow in masses, just look how many casuls Miami has brought.
    I'm not suggesting that there are no other benefits. I'm speaking purely of HGH as a tool for recovery.

I ask you, with an independent doctor/arbitrator/party evaluating players on a case-by-case basis, would be opposed to its use?
    Last edited by fpliii; 03-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    Not surprising, just look at the heat
    says a Patriots stan

NBA lottery pick

Let's just say, there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that people do not know or want to know. The NBA is a business. As such, it will do anything, legally possible, to sustain, grow, etc.

I'm sure there a tons of NBA players using HGH, that and many other PEDs, to have and keep an edge over the competition. HGH would give players a great advantage. Do not be fooled. HGH enhances recovery times tremendously, resulting in enhanced performance, which otherwise would be a sub-par performance, since said player had to recovery without the aid of HGH.

However, there seems to be certain extraordinary individuals, in the NBA, that are extremely durable, play heavy minutes every night, elite offensively, elite defensively, incredible stamina, incredible speed, remarkable leaping ability, etc. These extraordinary individuals, like Lebron James, apparently do all this without the aid of any performance enhancers. These guys just have superior genetics in some form or fashion.