Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Why is Isiah Thomas seemingly so underrated??

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Hes overrated lucky he played on one of the most stacked and GOAT defenses. Its arguably he wasnt even the best Piston during their best days

PGs that were better

Magic
    Oscar
    CP3
    Stockton
    Kidd
    Payton

Then Zeke or KJ........Peak Penny and Baron were better too.

Wow....wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    That's why he's tha most underrated. People hated on tha best small man for years
    I do agree that Isiah's reputation has cost him some rightful credit among many. But in the grand scheme I don't think he's underrated. If it wasn't for his beefs with Bird, MJ, and Magic he would have been on the Dream Team. He was a lock for the team by ANY other criteria. His reputation cost him.

It wasn't him being underrated that cost him. He is a POLARIZING kind of legend. U either love him or hate him. Those that hate him BUT DON'T give him credit for his career have an agenda. People have to separate personal bias from what happens on the court. I think Nique is much more UNDERRATED than Isiah ever was! Nique didn't make NBA 50 greatest or the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.
    Last edited by bizil; 04-21-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Decent playground baller

Underrated because of comments and remarks he made to the media, that's the only reason.

I think there is a difference between being polarizing and underrated. Some guys can be both. In a sense, Isiah's comments and conduct have cost him some him some props. But if u TAKE AWAY those negative moments, no way in hell is Zeke underrated. Low key superstars not marketed as a face of the L like English, Dantley, Aguirre, McAdoo, Gilmore, etc. are much more underrated than Isiah ever was. Leaving McAdoo off the 50 greatest list is a PRIME EXAMPLE of being underrated!

In terms of a visible high profile superstar who is underrated, Nique is underrated. Nique was highly visible and was VERY INSTRUMENTAL helping grow the game on a worldwide level. He was in all those dunk contests, All Star Games, Reebok commercials, Minute Maid commercials and VHS tapes.

And yet his game was shitted on by elitists in the media as well as some of the older generation of NBA legends. Those are the people responsible for the HOF and 50 greatest list. And they were responsible for Nique getting the shaft.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I think there is a difference between being polarizing and underrated. Some guys can be both. In a sense, Isiah's comments and conduct have cost him some him some props. But if u TAKE AWAY those negative moments, no way in hell is Zeke underrated. Low key superstars not marketed as a face of the L like English, Dantley, Aguirre, McAdoo, Gilmore, etc. are much more underrated than Isiah ever was. Leaving McAdoo off the 50 greatest list is a PRIME EXAMPLE of being underrated!

In terms of a visible high profile superstar who is underrated, Nique is underrated. Nique was highly visible and was VERY INSTRUMENTAL helping grow the game on a worldwide level. He was in all those dunk contests, All Star Games, Reebok commercials, Minute Maid commercials and VHS tapes.

And yet his game was shitted on by elitists in the media as well as some of the older generation of NBA legends. Those are the people responsible for the HOF and 50 greatest list. And they were responsible for Nique getting the shaft.
    How many guys can say they beat Bird, Magic, and Jordan when it mattered as the best player? Its a small list.

We give current players props for stepping up when it matters, why not players of the past?

Quote Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
    How many guys can say they beat Bird, Magic, and Jordan when it mattered as the best player? Its a small list.

We give current players props for stepping up when it matters, why not players of the past?
    Isiah gets his props for beating Bird, Magic, and MJ. But his skeletons from the past keep him from getting AS MUCH LOVE as he should get. His omission from the Dream Team is a great example. But that ONLY happened because of personal beefs.

Other guys are underrated for being in smaller markets, playing on bad teams, having a shortened prime, being hated on for their style of play, etc.

Typically, the guys who have the most swag or fan friendly style of play get marketed the most. So casual fans will focus on those guys as well as their home team. But the thing is some casual fans THINK TOO HIGHLY of their basketball acumen. They don't know the game like we do on this site.

And the ****ed up thing is MANY OF THEM make it in the media. And once u make it to the media, u are in a position to frame players a certain way. Then when u couple that with some bitter old school NBA players who have a say, guys can QUICKLY become underrated.
    Last edited by bizil; 04-21-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I do agree that Isiah's reputation has cost him some rightful credit among many. But in the grand scheme I don't think he's underrated. If it wasn't for his beefs with Bird, MJ, and Magic he would have been on the Dream Team. He was a lock for the team by ANY other criteria. His reputation cost him.

It wasn't him being underrated that cost him. He is a POLARIZING kind of legend. U either love him or hate him. Those that hate him BUT DON'T give him credit for his career have an agenda. People have to separate personal bias from what happens on the court. I think Nique is much more UNDERRATED than Isiah ever was! Nique didn't make NBA 50 greatest or the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.
    How tha hell he's more underrated than Isiah? hE DIDNT MAKE NBA greatest 50 but come on, that dude never led his team past tha semis man. Isiah's resume is better than nique's by a long shot, 2/3 titles too.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

It's not really that hard to roughly rank pgs in my opinion. Probably the easiest position to rank, especially in tiers.

So we can put this to rest:

1. Magic
    2. Oscar*

3a - stockton
    3b - kidd
    3c - Isiah Thomas
    3d - nash

4a - payton
    4b - KJ
    4c - CP3 (subject to change, enters next tier with a few deep runs, or a single championship)
    4d - Cousy*
    4e - Frazier*
    4f - T Parker (maybe controversial to some, which I don't understand)

Group 5

Curry (obviously subject to change)
    Mark Price
    Lenny W
    Tim Hardaway
    Billups
    D. Johnson
    Nate Archibald
    Anybody I'm forgetting

*played against less athletic competition but still deserves the placement

The letters are in no particular order. These are tiers. Many arguments can be made to rank one player ahead of another within a tier, but I think it's tough to argue that any player should jump a tier. Some would say Payton belongs in group 3, I can see that but I'd take any of the other group 3 PGs first. To me Payton is (slight oversimplification) the mirror image of Nash, and if I have to choose between one of the best defending point guards of all time, or quite possibly the very best offensive point guard of all time, I take the offense, at this position. Otherwise we're all set. My rankings aren't that unique; Isiah Thomas is appropriately ranked in general. He just hasn't helped his cause much with his post nba player career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrofir
    It's not really that hard to roughly rank pgs in my opinion. Probably the easiest position to rank, especially in tiers.

So we can put this to rest:

1. Magic
    2. Oscar*

3a - stockton
    3b - kidd
    3c - Isiah Thomas
    3d - nash

This is a big ass slap to tha face. The bigger this thread gets tha more Isiah Thomas gets more underrated. Kidd, Stockton and nash was not on Thomas' level period

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

This is a big ass slap to tha face. The bigger this thread gets tha more Isiah Thomas gets more underrated. Kidd, Stockton and nash was not on Thomas' level period
    It's not a slap to the face. I've said on here before that Isiah could "bridge" in at 2.5 -- He might be the most credible choice to be elevated out of group 2, but it's not obvious.

I won't do them all because you gotta do your own research, but at a glance:

Stockton:
    -- All time assists leader by 12 light years, 9 assist titles
    -- All time steals leader by a mile, 2 steals titles
    -- 19 year career, 19 playoff appearances
    -- career 52/38.4/83 shooter
    -- 10x all star
    -- 2x all nba 1st, 6x 2nd team, 3x third team, 5x all defense 2nd team

Isiah Thomas:
    --2x champion
    --1x finals mvp
    -- 12x all star
    -- 1 assist title
    -- 3x all nba first, 2x all nba 2nd team
    -- career 45/29/76 shooter

It's not obvious.
    Last edited by Mrofir; 04-21-2015 at 11:12 PM.

You guys are overrating him in this thread, but he should definitely be starting over Marcus Smart.

Celtics 2016 Champs

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Isiah's ankle game is, to me, the most impressive display from a player not at 100% in league history. I'll take it over Jordan's flu game every time.
    my exact thinking. he's in the top 5 for PG's.
    Last edited by That_Admiral; 04-22-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

He's not underrated on this site, you see guys putting him as a top 20 or 25 plaer which is just innacurate. He was a great player for sure but his efficiency was nothing special and his titles do overrate his impact a little, they were a great defense. Anyways i'd have him in the 31-33 range.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Kidd, no. But stockton and Nash were better.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    Kidd, no. But stockton and Nash were better.
    Pure skills wise, neither were better.