Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Govt employees: are you enjoying your taxpayer funded days off?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    So you would rather them get paid more and have less time off?
    Paid less and less time off. Private sector workers are far away more valuable than govt employees.

NBA All-star

now, I like the word "taxpayer funded"

because, this is the money used to keep up the morale.

again,

you might as well ask "how's keeping a job which creates no economic value"

what's a recession after all anyways.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Paid less and less time off. Private sector workers are far away more valuable than govt employees.
    Although Gov't workers do get much more benefits and aren't worked to death they get compensated much less than similar private worker employees and not to mention career path is VERY limited with gov't employees.

If you want the benefit and vacation try to get a job with the government. If not stop bitching about it and enjoy your larger paycheck..

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    I cringe when I hear private sector workers bashing government workers for being lazy and getting all the benefits(vacation, less hours work, etc) but no one forced you to take a job in the private sector and usually government workers will get paid less for a similar position in the private sector. Most government jobs aren't as high paying as private sector(theres a big gap in some cases) but yet the same private workers will bash the government workers because the other can take a vacation without feeling guilty.

To me the resentment comes from the fact some private workers feel they are being worked too much and I don't blame them.

private sector generally has much less benefits, while government employee's get pretty much full packages. Also many mid to higher level government employee's who had been hired prior to the downsizing are makinig in upwards of 6 figures with the way gov salaries rise based on future inflation and years in the government.

private sector generally has to work a lot harder to meet expectations or performance, or they get canned. gov are more automatons with much less performance or profit expectations.

obviously not all jobs are the same so when talking gov. a teacher or even police officer is not the same as someone who works in a government office. just like a blue collar worker in the private sector is not the same as someone who works for Google.

generally speaking tho, older government employee's have/had it good. i think a lot got bought out, and i know recent hires aren't gettiing anywhere near the packages and pay older employee's were getting. the government was such a money trash pit for abusive spending until the government tightened up and found all of these abuses and oversights of tax payers money being abused/wasted. still is, but way worse before the government deficits and tightened budgets.

Read about all of the shit the VA was doing with tax payers money. fukkin ridiculous

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234

paid less?

there must be no minimum wage government jobs/employees

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    private sector generally has much less benefits, while government employee's get pretty much full packages. Also many mid to higher level government employee's who had been hired prior to the downsizing are makinig in upwards of 6 figures with the way gov salaries rise based on future inflation and years in the government.

private sector generally has to work a lot harder to meet expectations or performance, or they get canned. gov are more automatons with much less performance or profit expectations.

obviously not all jobs are the same so when talking gov. a teacher or even police officer is not the same as someone who works in a government office. just like a blue collar worker in the private sector is not the same as someone who works for Google.

generally speaking tho, older government employee's have/had it good. i think a lot got bought out, and i know recent hires aren't gettiing anywhere near the packages and pay older employee's were getting. the government was such a money trash pit for abusive spending until the government tightened up and found all of these abuses and oversights of tax payers money being abused/wasted. still is, but way worse before the government deficits and tightened budgets.

Read about all of the shit the VA was doing with tax payers money. fukkin ridiculous
    Govt workers get paid less but have some better benefits. Raises are limited despite performance and bonuses are non-existent. Every type of org has a different compensation structure and there are pros/cons to all of them. Public employees can't have pay tied to strict performance/profit metrics because they don't operate for profit and they have strict personnel budgets.

I don't get why people complain. They get paid less to meet the level of service that the public requires. It's what the govt does. Waste, inefficiency, and scandal is something that happens in every type of org. Not just govt ones.

NBA Superstar

Govt workers get paid less but have some better benefits. Raises are limited despite performance and bonuses are non-existent. Every type of org has a different compensation structure and there are pros/cons to all of them. Public employees can't have pay tied to strict performance/profit metrics because they don't operate for profit and they have strict personnel budgets.

I don't get why people complain. They get paid less to meet the level of service that the public requires. It's what the govt does. Waste, inefficiency, and scandal is something that happens in every type of org. Not just govt ones.

that is a gross generalization.

there is much less oversight and much less need for it when taxpayers fund government jobs, at least up until recently when the rest of America suddenly found out about all of these abuses in the allocation of tax payers money. when profits fund private jobs, its a completely different level and reality of job expectations/performance/security for survival.

there is a lot of complaint because the hierarchy of government jobs set their own rules, set their own pays, set their own vacations, and it trickles down to a degree with those spoils. i mean the snow days in themselves government employee's get treated like school children where private sector has to shovel thru shit to get their cars to work is pretty absurd. never mind the government lockout free vacations of late, or every school kid holliday off.

there is a legit reason why there is a perception that gov employee's have things good and are spoiled, and it annoys people more because they fund it. its all very visible when private sector are working, paying health insurance bills, worrying about pensions, etc. while government its all a given.

We have idiots on here (op) who would argue against their own self interest simply so that the wealthiest people get richer, and so that tv's cost $300.

Why be a slave to rich men and cheap goods? Other countries robustly support their middle classes, and I'm guessing idiots like these posters would be all for it if they felt they had a shot in life

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Not that I agree with OP's premise but you do realize private sector holiday/PTO days are paid for by the company, right?

You realize that, right?

Not if you're self-employed like me. I've never had a paid vacation. Ever. Even when I worked as an employee in a group practice out of school I had 1 week/year for vacation, unpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Not if you're self-employed like me. I've never had a paid vacation. Ever. Even when I worked as an employee in a group practice out of school I had 1 week/year for vacation, unpaid.
    Were you salaried at that time? Because wouldn't that basically make it a paid vacation? That is one of the downside of being a business owner tho. Nothing is a "benefit" in the way we typically think about it.

And to Godzuki, you even said their is less supervision for a reason which kind of gets to the point. Expectations are lower and so are salaries and advancement opportunities. I just don't get why private sector people gets all pissy about it when they made the conscious choice to pursue a more intense, but also more lucrative area of employment. There is clearly corruption in the govt but corporate institutional incentives also breed corruption which has been documented as well. Sure its the taxpayers money and we hold the govt to a higher standard but corporations are ripping off the same people when dirty shit goes down.

You can be jealous and pissed about snow days and government laziness all you want but its not hard to understand why that shit happens. Just seems like a waste of time to me. You can argue that some of those jobs shouldn't exist, which is fine, but that's a different discussion.

Were you salaried at that time? Because wouldn't that basically make it a paid vacation?

No. Typically associates are paid a percentage of what they produce. You take time off you have no production hence no pay. Not trying to garner sympathy, just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    No. Typically associates are paid a percentage of what they produce. You take time off you have no production hence no pay. Not trying to garner sympathy, just the way it is.
    Yeah, was just curious. Didn't know the industry was set up like that.

I work with govt clients and their jobs are not awesome. They don't get paid well, their resources are shit, they are typically understaffed, and they give a new meaning to the phrase "office politics."

Yeah, they get more vacation (and a pension most of the time) but their daily slog isn't fun.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

I'm a government employee who gets zero holidays off per year, because not all government jobs are office jobs (some of them are military, security, police, firefighters, hospital workers, etc.).

My benefits are pretty decent, but I've heard of plenty of private sector jobs that got better benefits.

When I was working fast food jobs when I was a teenager I got more raises, that were higher, than I do now as a government employee. A normal raise is about forty-five cents per year, for the first 3 years, than the raise is every 2 years, but this is only at my current pay rate.

Promotions are not non-existent, but they are also not based off of performancem, at least not entirely based on performance, as we have had extremely terrible people promoted in the past. The last batch of promotions saw 4 people get promoted - 2 were fired (one was stealing money by filling out his time sheet with extra hours and the other got hit with felony possession charges) and another quit. Those promotions were two years ago.

We've been short 10 or more people for over a year and a half now, but that is because of the high turnover rate we have (poor leadership and supervisors + shitty union rep) and that they never hire enough people at once to fill all of the currently vacant spots.

The plus side is I get paid decent money for a guy without a degree, my vacation and sick days are paid for (3 and a half weeks of paid leave, 2 weeks sick leave), my health benefits are pretty good (and I have a large amount of choices to choose from when choosing my health insurance provider) and, because we work 12-13 hour shifts, I only work 7-9 days every two weeks.

Banned

salty tears OP? this is almost as funny as chris samuels weighing in on economic topics, complaining about programs and funding and this and that, all the while he a 30 year old dependent on his dad ROFL