Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Al Jefferson's post moves are the best in NBA history

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    And that's just the beginning of the list. To say Big Al is "Top 5 all-time" in the post is ridiculous. Kids got no perspective.

True enough.

Still, the fact that guys are throwing around lists of elite guys to compare him with is a real sweet compliment..... and yeah he may not be better than those guys, or a McAdoo or whoever it is.... we're still looking at Jefferson going "wow he really is something else!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    I don't find this ridiculous at all. Maybe he isn't the most effective because he didn't score big time like the big men in history did, but who's the last big men who averaged or can 23 ppg scoring probably like 3/4 of his shots in the post? Probably only Duncan. Al's post moves are way up there.

If you watch him, he'll remind you a lot of Duncan; you know I'd say even better. It's just that he's isn't that good of a passer which lessens his effectiveness, but one-on-one, he'd kill anyone on the block.
    All time though? Bruh.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    All time though? Bruh.
    I don't know man...my opinion though...sometimes it's like...you see something so good, it's really hard to imagine something much better at all. It's like Kyrie's ball handling. Of course there's gonna be players who have height, strength, and athleticism gifts/advantages but for Big Al, he's just damn good with his moves. Like what are you seeing that is not making him an all-time great at post moves? People saw this early and drafted him out of high school. He's got the footwork, the fakes, and the soft touch. I'm not gonna say he's the best but he's "up there" and I don't know why that's so hard for people to accept an opinion based on continual examples of greatness being displayed. Al Jeff can't even blow by people or even dunk and he's scoring at will through doubles and defensive fronting with a very limited passing game and rarely ever getting offensive put backs...not even that tall too. That's pretty awesome of a post game. Too bad he isn't good on defense to put his name more on the map but this is about post moves.

Would've been cool to see him paired up with KG though.
    Last edited by Mass Debator; 11-24-2014 at 07:55 PM.

I'll tell you a guy who's post moves were very underrated. Shaq. People dont give him credit because of his size but he had very good footwork, mobility and touch from 5-10 feet. Used the glass very well.

Barkley deserved top 5 mention, if not top 3. He was unguardable in his prime. Al isn't even in the same zip code as Barkley.

Banned

After seeing the post here and doing a bit of research while thinking about this shit, I've come to the conclusion that Duncan DOES NOT have better post moves than BigGayAl, never has and never will.

Duncan owns him in so many other aspects, like basketball iq, passing, sick mid range game, clutch, defense etc.

But on strictly post moves, I can't put him ahead of BigGayAl.

Hakeem
    Mchale
    Dirk
    Bird
    KAJ
    Timmy
    Dantley
    Shaq
    KG (had a great variety of post moves, handles and passes, but usually faced up since he is one of the GOAT midrange shooters for bigs)
    Lanier
    Sabonis

Depends what you mean by best.

Most effective? Most versatile? Most aesthetic? Etc.

Though by any measure, he has to be up there you'd figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG

Hakeem
    Mchale
    Dirk
    Bird
    KAJ
    Timmy
    Dantley
    Shaq
    KG (had a great variety of post moves, handles and passes, but usually faced up since he is one of the GOAT midrange shooters for bigs)
    Lanier
    Sabonis

Great list And I'm sure there's some more. Not to downplay Big Al because he has some really good post skills, but c'mon now...

BTW loved the Dantley mention.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    I'll tell you a guy who's post moves were very underrated. Shaq. People dont give him credit because of his size but he had very good footwork, mobility and touch from 5-10 feet. Used the glass very well.

Barkley deserved top 5 mention, if not top 3. He was unguardable in his prime. Al isn't even in the same zip code as Barkley.
    Man in the late '90s early '00s I would watch Shaq's footwork on the block and I would just think "man, he looks like Ali right now."

So quick, so subtle, absolutely practiced and drilled-to-a-polished-perfection of correctness, yet always the animal grace and all building towards that end result of explosive, devastating power.

cavaliersFTW essay in 3, 2, 1 ...

Why are people so caught up in aesthetics over effectiveness? This guy can have 100 moves, and another 100 counters, but if he isn't scoring efficiently, then who cares?

Big Al has never been efficient, and he isn't that great of a finisher around the rim, with or without contact, which adds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Why are people so caught up in aesthetics over effectiveness? This guy can have 100 moves, and another 100 counters, but if he isn't scoring efficiently, then who cares?

Big Al has never been efficient, and he isn't that great of a finisher around the rim, with or without contact, which adds to it.
    Dude what are you smoking

It's not aesthetics though. Big Al's moves are very effective. Maybe it's his other game that's not as effective.

To be fair to OP, he said "best post MOVES", not "best post scorer" so aesthetics would be a big part of determining this.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB7XD8km7L0

When I watch Big Al I don't see that kind of cerebral play.

He has great post moves though. Definitely deserves a mention. But he isn't in that McHale/Kareem/Hakeem/Duncan tier. Not to mention, defenders are clueless when it comes to the post these days.
    love the Suns home court at the time much better than how dull it looks now.