Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1970 Voting

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Inside Hoops Hall of Fame Project[/FONT]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for the voting on the class of 1970.

You may make your own list or Copy and Paste the Ballot Below and bold the names of the players you want to vote into our Hall of Fame.

You can vote for up to ten players, but don't need to vote for any.

Feel free to include any arguments you want to make on behalf of any of the players or against any of the players.

Also this is the time to nominate any players I have not listed that were retired before 1970.

Anyone who is not yet involved in the project may participate in this round as well, please check in within this thread or via PM to me and I'll add you too our roster.

Players eligible for the first time

Embry, Wayne - nicknamed the Wall. Solid defensive center who peaked as 19-12 guy over three years. 6x all-star.

Gola, Tom - Best all-around player of the 1950's. Top rebounder, defender and playmaker at his position. Third best player on '56 Champs.

Guerin, Richie - Dynamic all-around guard with great size for his era. 6x all-star, 3x all-NBA second team; Peaked at 30-6-7.

Hagan, Cliff - Elite playoff performer on late 50's-early sixties Hawks. Averaged 23-10-4 for his prime. 6x all-star, 2x all-nba second team

Heinsohn, Tom - Top scorer for the Celtics from 1960-1963, eight titles in nine seasons. 6x all-star, 4x all-nba second team

Jones, K.C. - Top defensive guard for Celtics from 1962-1966. Eight titles in nine seasons.

Jones, Sam - Top scorer for Celtics from 1964-1967. 10 titles in 12 years. 5x all-star, 3x all-nba second team

Kerr, Red - Great passing center and famously beloved teammate. Third best player on '55 Champs, 3x all-star.

LaRusso, Rudy - Oustanding all-around forward who was third best player on 1960's Lakers. 18-10 guy during prime as defensive stopper. 4x all-star

Rodgers, Guy - Top notch point guard during early-mid sixties. Led league in assists twice. 4x all-star.

Russell, Bill - 11 Titles in 13 Years, 5 MVP's, best defensive player ever.

Twyman - First non-center to average 30 ppg in a seasons (1959-60) 6x all-star, 2x all-nba second team

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous classes

Goose Tatum
    Bob Davies
    Neil Johnston
    George Yardley
    Tarzan Cooper
    Leroy Edwards
    Clyde Lovellette

Committee Members

G.O.A.T - 30's - Pistons/General
    L. Kizzle - 20's - Rockets
    Arbitrary Water -
    SexSymbol - 20's - Lakers/Bobcats
    Smook A. -
    Gotterdammerung - 30's - Rockets/General
    MP.Trey - 20's - Cavs
    gts -
    magnax1 - 20's - Jazz
    nightprowler10 - 30's - Bulls
    longhornfan1234 - 20's - Spurs
    bballnoob1192 - 20's - Lakers
    hangintheair - 20's - Hornets
    JohnFreeman - 20's - Kings
    riseagainst -
    WillC -
    kshutts1 - 30's - Bulls/Lakers
    dankok8 - Raptors
    Fpliii - 20's - Lakers/Knicks
    Jlip -

Bold = Has Voted
    Italics = Active

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Voting Results so far

12 ballots cast

(12) Bill Russell
    (12) Sam Jones
    (8) Tom Heinsohn
    ---------------------------
    (6) Neil Johnston
    (6) Cliff Hagan
    (5) Bob Davies
    (5) Leroy Edwards
    (4) Goose Tatum
    (3) Charles Cooper
    (3) Jack Twyman
    (3) K.C. Jones
    (2) George Yardley
    (2) Richie Guerin
    (2) Tom Gola
    Guy Rodgers
    Clyde Lovellette
    Red Kerr
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 08-22-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1970 Voting

I'm gonna do quite a bit of research here and prepare a well-thought out post but just off the bat I'm 100% sure that Cliff Hagan, Sam Jones and Bill Russell are HOFers. Tom Heinsohn is probably in and a whole lot of the others are debatable. This is gonna be a tough year.

Before I vote, GOAT, can you clarify, should we be factoring in the players' college careers?

It seems a particularly poignant question given the pool of players...

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Before I vote, GOAT, can you clarify, should we be factoring in the players' college careers?

It seems a particularly poignant question given the pool of players...
    Yes, I will add it to the intro from now on as well.

This is a professional basketball HOF because this is a Pro Basketball Forum. Voters will consider the achievements of a player during any and all professional competition including international competition and the Olympics (despite it's amateur affiliation since otherwise or about to be professional athletes compete in basketball and always have). Similarly we can consider pre-NBA AAU competition as the best players may have not opted to pay pro in order to keep a better paying job.

When we vote for Pioneers and Contributors, they need not have played pro basketball, just contributed to the success/evolution/advancement of the pro game.

I am open to any additions or adjustments the committee feels is necessary.

Bill Russell - 11X champ who has the Finals MVP award named after him. Enough said.
    Sam Jones - Ultimate teammate. One of the most accurate shooters of his time. Clutch as hell. 10 titles in 12 years. 5x all-star, 3x all-nba second team.
    Cliff Hagan - Elite playoff performer on late 50's-early sixties Hawks. Even came out of retirement to put up some numbers in the ABA at 36 years old.
    Tom Heinsohn - Terrible announcer. Great player.
    Tom Gola - Best all-around player of the 1950's. Top rebounder, defender and playmaker at his position. Third best player on '56 Champs.
    Bob Davies - 4x 1st teamer. NBL MVP and best player on 1951 NBA Champs. Seems to get overshadowed by Cousy.
    Neil Johnston - Dominant offensive player for the Warriors in the 50's. 4 time 1st teamer. Key cog on 56 Championship team.
    George Yardley - First player to score 2000 points in a season. Prolific scorer and six time all star.
    Leroy Edwards - Never really knew how dominant he was during his time with the NBL. 3X MVP, 6x first teamer, NUMEROUS records. Deserves to be here.
    Goose Tatum - Inventor of the hook shot and standout Globetrotter. Tossup between him and Tarzan Cooper but I know a lot more about the Trotters history than I do the Rens, so this feels safer.
    Last edited by MP.Trey; 08-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.

What about players who dominated the Eastern League (which later became the CBA?) The talent in the 50s and 60s was probably right below NBA standards. Featured a lot of blacks the league didn't want and players from the point shaving scandal among others. Quite different than the CBA it would become in the 80s ans 90s.

For example after Paul Arizon retired he joined the Eastern League and won MVP. His last season NBA stats were not that far off from his first season Eastern League stats.

Banned

Bill Russell
    Sam Jones
    Neil Johnston (who I think I forgot to put last time)
    There are other I could be convinced of

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    What about players who dominated the Eastern League (which later became the CBA?) The talent in the 50s and 60s was probably right below NBA standards. Featured a lot of blacks the league didn't want and players from the point shaving scandal among others. Quite different than the CBA it would become in the 80s ans 90s.

For example after Paul Arizon retired he joined the Eastern League and won MVP. His last season NBA stats were not that far off from his first season Eastern League stats.
    It was a pro league, so it would be considered. Like all pro leagues that are not the NBA (ABL, NBL, EPBL, ABA) etc. a players achievements in that league need to be measured in comparison to the NBA at the time.

Embry, Wayne - nicknamed the Wall. Solid defensive center who peaked as 19-12 guy over three years. 6x all-star.

Gola, Tom - Best all-around player of the 1950's. Top rebounder, defender and playmaker at his position. Third best player on '56 Champs.

Hagan, Cliff - Elite playoff performer on late 50's-early sixties Hawks. Averaged 23-10-4 for his prime. 6x all-star, 2x all-nba second team

Heinsohn, Tom - Top scorer for the Celtics from 1960-1963, eight titles in nine seasons. 6x all-star, 4x all-nba second team

Jones, K.C. - Top defensive guard for Celtics from 1962-1966. Eight titles in nine seasons.

Jones, Sam - Top scorer for Celtics from 1964-1967. 10 titles in 12 years. 5x all-star, 3x all-nba second team

Kerr, Red - Great passing center and famously beloved teammate. Third best player on '55 Champs, 3x all-star.

LaRusso, Rudy - Outstanding all-around forward who was third best player on 1960's Lakers. 18-10 guy during prime as defensive stopper. 4x all-star

Rodgers, Guy - Top notch point guard during early-mid sixties. Led league in assists twice. 4x all-star.

Twyman, Jack - First non-center to average 30 ppg in a seasons (1959-60) 6x all-star, 2x all-nba second team

Goose Tatum
    Bob Davies
    Neil Johnston
    George Yardley
    Tarzan Cooper

Leroy Edwards: Just found out Cowboy was the first player to score over 20 points (21) in the NBL in 1938.

Clyde Lovellette

-----

Also, I'd like to nominate Richie Guerin. Guerin was a high scoring guard in the Knicks in the late 50s and early 60s.

Bill Russell
    Sam Jones
    Jack Twyman
    Guy Rodgers

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hangintheair
    Bill Russell
    Sam Jones
    Jack Twyman
    Guy Rodgers
    Guy Rodgers over Bob Davies?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Also, I'd like to nominate Richie Guerin. Guerin was a high scoring guard in the Knicks in the late 50s and early 60s.
    Was Guerin not mentioned yet? Can't believe I didn't catch that.

College superstar

LaRusso, Rudy - Oustanding all-around forward who was third best player on 1960's Lakers. 18-10 guy during prime as defensive stopper. 4x all-star

Twyman - First non-center to average 30 ppg in a seasons (1959-60) 6x all-star, 2x all-nba second team

Goose Tatum
    Bob Davies
    Neil Johnston

George Yardley
    Tarzan Cooper
    Leroy Edwards
    Clyde Lovellette

Also like to piggy-back on Kizzle and vote for Guerin. I feel like his name has been brought up, and voted on, already, but I could be wrong.

And this is just a question, but Gola's tag line makes him sound great... looking at his stats/bio, I get the feeling that he was his generation's Chris Bosh. Is that accurate? A great player that sacrificed himself for wins, and likely suffered historically?

College superstar

And GOAT, I just took the time to research Scott Hastings. Are you him? Can't think of any other reason someone would be his fan