Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hellbound

Default Re: Believe the hype on Greg Oden

Quote Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
    Mostly because of Bynum, I think. Great centers come around so rarely and to have two of them emerge in the same season is kind of polarizing. Instead of liking both, most fans are picking sides. If Oden came into the NBA two years ago, he would probably have more supporters.
    Two great centers emerged in the same season? Who?

I saw one recently, Dwight Howard.

Gave Bynum and Oden combined even played one full seasons worth of games?

Very good NBA starter

don't need to wait a while when some things are straight up obvious. this discussion is almost a no brainer.

oden's going to be a beast.

if you still don't see it, you're just slow.

Local High School Star oldenpolynice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    Two great centers emerged in the same season? Who?

I saw one recently, Dwight Howard.

Gave Bynum and Oden combined even played one full seasons worth of games?
    I guess skepticism is healthy. But you seriously don't believe Oden and Bynum will be great centers?

Hellbound

Quote Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
    I guess skepticism is healthy. But you seriously don't believe Oden and Bynum will be great centers?
    They have potential. And at the time they were drafted, so did Kwame and Darko. But as of this moment, they're not great centers.

It's like with OJ or any trial. Innocent until proven guilty, regardless of what you may think. And without sufficient evidence, cases get thrown out.

Local High School Star oldenpolynice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    They have potential. And at the time they were drafted, so did Kwame and Darko. But as of this moment, they're not great centers.

It's like with OJ or any trial. Innocent until proven guilty, regardless of what you may think. And without sufficient evidence, cases get thrown out.
    You're comparing Bynum and Oden to Kwame and Darko? Pretty ridiculous...

Bynum clearly recognized his potential last season before getting injured and Oden has already proved he is solid in all parts of the big man game. Kwame and Darko were high-risk potential picks who never panned out. No comparison here.

Quote Originally Posted by 3stat2
    Personally I think he should lose a bit of weight. I haven't watched him as intently as Blazers fans so I may have missed some things, but to me it seems like he isn't jumping quite as high as before. Seems a little slow and less agile as well. But the scary thing is that despite all that, he's still looked pretty good.

If he lost some weight and got his vert back to the 34 inches it was before, he'd be scary. He doesn't need all that muscle - seriously, who is going to overpower him? I want to see him get his vert back to this kind of level:

Think a bigger, stronger, but slower and less agile version of pre-surgery Amare.
    even his teammate (i think it's david lighty?) is like WTF, is he going to really throw THAT down?

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    even his teammate (i think it's david lighty?) is like WTF, is he going to really throw THAT down?
    And he didn't and probably would have been called for a charge in the NBA in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    And he didn't and probably would have been called for a charge in the NBA in the process
    You're right it did miss, but it is a glimpse of his extreme athleticism for a 7 footer.

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/2130/odenjammd9.jpg

is that leon powe hes charging on?

I'm pretty sure if he got a charge on a one off play like this, the coach wouldn't give a crap

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    No, that's Seattle second year guy Jeff Green.

I just hope for Oden's sake that Portland's fans and front office really don't expect him to hit the ground running because Oden is going to struggle a bit early on.

DBDs

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    ... don't expect him to hit the ground running because Oden is going to struggle a bit early on.
    On the other hand, how many rookie get to:

- have access to the staff and coaching of an NBA team for an entire year prior to game 1

- have an extra 3 months of practise with NBA level teammates

- have a year's access to NBA level game tapes, team philosophy, travel, etc.

Oden has to be the most ready rook to enter then league in years... Dude should be light years ahead of the other rooks. I expect it.

It sucks they are pulling Oden at 20 minutes in pre season. His is owning Horford right now and Roy is owing Joe Johnson yet again. As I'm listening Oden gets an and 1.

LOL, they just took Oden out and now Horford got his first basket on the play after.

Saw a basketball once P-town1114's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    It sucks they are pulling Oden at 20 minutes in pre season. His is owning Horford right now and Roy is owing Joe Johnson yet again. As I'm listening Oden gets an and 1.

LOL, they just took Oden out and now Horford got his first basket on the play after.
    They should stop Babying him and let him do his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by P-town1114
    They should stop Babying him and let him do his thing.
    If he doesn't start playing 25-30 minutes now, he isn't going to get in shape fast enough. I guess they mean it when they say they want to ease him back in to playing. The Blazers are just killing Atlanta while all the starters are on the bench. If the Blazers lose this game I don't care, it's just a warm up game.