Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star oldenpolynice's Avatar

Default Re: Believe the hype on Greg Oden

Quote Originally Posted by TBurge-UNL
    why don't we wait to see what greg oden does in the regular season before declaring him the next great center. he's definitely got the potential to be up there, but he also has factors working against him, such as injuries, foul trouble, and the blazers being too cautious with him.
    I have a better idea. Let's not wait to declare him a great talent. Let's just sit back and enjoy him while he rolls over 80% of the Western conference big men and intimidates the hell out of everyone.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
    I have a better idea. Let's not wait to declare him a great talent. Let's just sit back and enjoy him while he rolls over 80% of the Western conference big men and intimidates the hell out of everyone.
    well if it happens, i'll definitely enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
    5 games in 5 nights?
    I think he meant 4 games in 5 nights.

And why can't everyone wait to actually see the guy play a couple of months in the regular season before judging him ? Sometimes I feel the Oden hype is even bigger than the LeBron one a few years ago ...

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    I think he meant 4 games in 5 nights.

And why can't everyone wait to actually see the guy play a couple of months in the regular season before judging him ? Sometimes I feel the Oden hype is even bigger than the LeBron one a few years ago ...
    I disagree. I think he was really hyped and that the injury made it more suspensful etc.

Lebron was the saviour of the league in HS.

Cuba

He's going to be special, however I'd like to see him drop about 15lbs.

Saw a basketball once

the real question is, would greg oden be as popular if he was a laker and would andrew bynum be more popular as a blazer...?

Quote Originally Posted by TBurge-UNL
    the real question is, would greg oden be as popular if he was a laker and would andrew bynum be more popular as a blazer...?
    Well, I think Oden would be hyped no matter where he was (although being with the Blazers has the added bonus of potentially making them a great team) whereas the level of hype surrounding Bynum would be greatly decreased if he was playing for say, New Jersey or Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Well I wouldnt call it a win yet. Hell I still worry about Amares knees and hes stayed somewhat healthy for the last 2 years. Then you have the belief that a player might need the surgery again after 4-5 years of playing. It sucks. Lets just hope that it works out for both of them.
    I heard you can't do the surgery twice. Seems like it's not true but Amare would just get his knee retouched, not the full microfracture on the same knee. Yeah, I guarantee Amare has worked on making his knee strong so it won't get injured again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I heard you can't do the surgery twice. Seems like it's not true but Amare would just get his knee retouched, not the full microfracture on the same knee. Yeah, I guarantee Amare has worked on making his knee strong so it won't get injured again.
    I lol'd

Intelligent fan

Quote Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
    or how about you type your excuses in advance for when he does fail?

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

1st-Grader I saw on Youtube > Beasley > Lebron

Personally I think he should lose a bit of weight. I haven't watched him as intently as Blazers fans so I may have missed some things, but to me it seems like he isn't jumping quite as high as before. Seems a little slow and less agile as well. But the scary thing is that despite all that, he's still looked pretty good.

If he lost some weight and got his vert back to the 34 inches it was before, he'd be scary. He doesn't need all that muscle - seriously, who is going to overpower him? I want to see him get his vert back to this kind of level:

Think a bigger, stronger, but slower and less agile version of pre-surgery Amare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24
    or how about you type your excuses in advance for when he does fail?
    How about you start writing your concession for when Oden wins Rookie of the Year. Or maybe you'll just stay off the boards that day...

Why is everybody against Oden?

LeBron was more hyped when he was in his Junior year of high school along with Sebastian Telfair. I guess nobody around here read Slam back then.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
    Why is everybody against Oden?

LeBron was more hyped when he was in his Junior year of high school along with Sebastian Telfair. I guess nobody around here read Slam back then.
    Mostly because of Bynum, I think. Great centers come around so rarely and to have two of them emerge in the same season is kind of polarizing. Instead of liking both, most fans are picking sides. If Oden came into the NBA two years ago, he would probably have more supporters.