Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star oldenpolynice's Avatar

Default Believe the hype on Greg Oden

People talk about fatigue. But Oden played very well in back-to-back games on Tues and Wed. Averaging 13.5 points and 7 rebounds in 20 minutes of play. The fouls are a concern. But dude is a beast inside. And his touch looked nice on the free throw attempts as well.

Haters can argue all they like, but really they should just be jumping on the Blazers bandwagon.

The 2008 Blazers are like Season 1 of The Sopranos. No one’s ever seen a show (or in this case, a team) quite like this before. The cast is strong, the storylines are gripping and the directors/producers know what the hell they’re doing. Everything is primed for a great run. And if you don’t buy in now you’ll be left looking like one of “those guys” at the party saying, “Oh yeah, the Sopranos. I’ve heard that’s a great show”.
    http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress...en-watch-2008/
    Last edited by oldenpolynice; 10-09-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Default Re: Believe the hype on Greg Oden

Quote Originally Posted by oldenpolynice
    This guy is going to be a force for years to come.
    If he can stay healthy...sure. 1 year at Ohio State, wrist injury...before the pre-season even started knee injury...

...and his weight doesn't help the matter, he's bigger than he was a year ago, especially in the upper body, which in-turn means more pressure on his knees.

Take it a day at a time. Everyone is fresh and healthy at this point of the preseason. Lets see how he looks on a 5 games/5 nights east coast swing in February.

I'm an Ohio State fan and not a "hater," but he is still a project in the making. This will take some time to unfold. Wish him the best of luck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    If he can stay healthy...sure. 1 year at Ohio State, wrist injury...before the pre-season even started knee injury...

...and his weight doesn't help the matter, he's bigger than he was a year ago, especially in the upper body, which in-turn means more pressure on his knees.
    Roy had heal problems, and multiple knee surgerys. He's an All Star now.

Aldridge came into the league coming off the bench and had shoulder surgery. He has also had some foot injuries. He's going to be an All Star.

Oden has spent the last year working out and strengthening his knee. His was as perfect as a recovery can go for microfracture. Even more successful than Amare Stoudamire and we know how that turned out. Oden will be an All Star in a couple of years.

Injuries happen. I wouldn't worry about Oden in this case. The guy hates losing and his will to win and do anything it takes to win for his team. He will fight through injuries.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Roy had heal problems, and multiple knee surgerys. He's an All Star now.

Aldridge came into the league coming off the bench and had shoulder surgery. He has also had some foot injuries. He's going to be an All Star.

Oden has spent the last year working out and strengthening his knee. His was as perfect as a recovery can go for microfracture. Even more successful than Amare Stoudamire and we know how that turned out. Oden will be an All Star in a couple of years.

Injuries happen. I wouldn't worry about Oden in this case. The guy hates losing and his will to win and do anything it takes to win for his team. He will fight through injuries.
    ? who cares about that, everyone is different some people just cant avoid injuries and greg oden has had an injurey every year of his young career, high school, college, and pre-nba.

not saying hes gonna get injured though

Local High School Star oldenpolynice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode

His weight is my only concern. But this is the NBA we're talking about here. If it's in the franchise's best interest to keep Oden's weight stabilized, they will stabilize Oden's weight.

This guy is a cash cow. He's like Kobe in L.A. or Allen Iverson when he was in Philly. The Blazers won't jeapordize that. They'll get the best nutritionists and trainers available.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    Take it a day at a time. Everyone is fresh and healthy at this point of the preseason. Lets see how he looks on a 5 games/5 nights east coast swing in February.

I'm an Ohio State fan and not a "hater," but he is still a project in the making. This will take some time to unfold. Wish him the best of luck, though.
    exactly wait until he hits the rookie wall and see how he plays the second half of the season, when travel and wear and tear take it's toll..they guy hasn't played in over a year and people are touting 20 minutes a game as some kinda milestone...lol

His recovery isnt over kid and his recovery hasnt been more successful than Amare because he hasnt proven **** yet. He hasnt proven he could have no complications because of the surgury. Get back at me in 2 years if he has stayed realtively healthy. Then we can talk. Lets not forget that Amare only missed a year just like Oden.

Oden is by far the most promising young big man in this league but I'd say I will be surprised if he turns out to be half as good as Prime Tim Duncan in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Oden is by far the most promising young big man in this league but I'd say I will be surprised if he turns out to be half as good as Prime Tim Duncan in the end.
    Half as good as a prime Tim Duncan?

What would you consider half as good? 14/7 starting on a playoff team?

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    His recovery isnt over kid and his recovery hasnt been more successful than Amare because he hasnt proven **** yet. He hasnt proven he could have no complications because of the surgury. Get back at me in 2 years if he has stayed realtively healthy. Then we can talk. Lets not forget that Amare only missed a year just like Oden.
    I meant that in the way that Amare came back early and had complications. Oden hasn't had any swelling or stiffness at all (so far).

I meant that in the way that Amare came back early and had complications. Oden hasn't had any swelling or stiffness at all (so far).
    Well I wouldnt call it a win yet. Hell I still worry about Amares knees and hes stayed somewhat healthy for the last 2 years. Then you have the belief that a player might need the surgery again after 4-5 years of playing. It sucks. Lets just hope that it works out for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981

5 games in 5 nights?

Pretty sure that has never happened in the history of the NBA.

Oden's offense is still a big concern for me but hey I'm not arguing with getting all your points off dunks and free throws.

Local High School Star Geandily's Avatar

Yeah, what about 100 GAMES IN A ROW?!?!

Saw a basketball once

why don't we wait to see what greg oden does in the regular season before declaring him the next great center. he's definitely got the potential to be up there, but he also has factors working against him, such as injuries, foul trouble, and the blazers being too cautious with him.