Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: RPM over the 2020 season is out. Guess who's leading by a mile and then some?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    It gives a pretty good explanation as to why LeBron is running away with this stat this year. He improved a lot compared to last year. He does play a lot better. So I'm okay with him being number 1 if we say it is in comparison with last years performance. He improved ---> good stat. OK. But Doncic at 15 and Tatum at 4? Based on... what?
    If you look at this years plus minus Doncic wouldn't be top 50.

http://www.82games.com/1920/19DAL4.HTM#onoff

Like i said before, +/- in small sample sizes can give very strange results. The reason Doncic ranks as high as he does is because RPM takes last year into account, and expected improvement this year.

Tatum on the other hand might have the best basic +/- in the league so far this season.

http://www.82games.com/1920/19BOS9.HTM#onoff

As i understand it RPM is attempting to smooth out the sometimes extreme results that can happen with +/-, i am just not sure exactly how they are doing it.

Default Re: RPM over the 2020 season is out. Guess who's leading by a mile and then some?

So 'PIPM' basically took over 'RAPM'?

The main issue I have with RAPM is it coming out after the season. AND playoffs. That but ALSO multiple year RAPM looking more accurate than single year ratings.

PIPM definitely falls in line with what's happening so far. Not completely. Not even close. But most accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause
    Well that would be in reference to DRPM toward the end of the season

The RPM today is meaningless. I assure you the Top 10 that you see today will be very different in 2-3 months, by nature of plus/minus data

Currently there's too much noise that needs to be separated. That only happens as more games/data comes in and the picture gets clearer

Giannis is literally leading the league in D-PIPM, DRating, Defensive WS and is 3rd in DBPM.

Will Barton is 26th in Def WS, 46th in DBPM, Outside Top 20 for DRating and 36th for D-PIPM

Barton is nowhere near the impact of Giannis defensively. Don't get caught up in RPM yet, fam. Revisit this thread in 2-3 months and you'll see how ridiculous some of this looks

EDIT: BTW I'm not saying Barton isn't playing well defensively, he clearly is, but Giannis is on a whole other tier right now and should be the favorite for DPOY. He's having big man level impact there
    i'm going say it give millsap some consideration. He turned denver from 25th defensively 2 years ago to 10th and now 2nd so far with a roster that doesnt wow defensively imo(harris and barton and the bench are nice tbf). He was not that much worse than prime draymond even in atlanta defensively. You can make an outside argument that he's matched jokic's impact with how lackadaiscal he's been. I think denver will move on to grant at the 4 next year and it's going be a really underrated loss.

Giannis ofc has a great argument but he has one of the best defensive centers and point guards backing him up. you can even make an outside argument brook is more crucial for that defense. Obviously ad is a candidate and idc how bad utah is right now, gobert always has a chance.

LeGOAT James

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    So 'PIPM' basically took over 'RAPM'?

The main issue I have with RAPM is it coming out after the season. AND playoffs. That but ALSO multiple year RAPM looking more accurate than single year ratings.

PIPM definitely falls in line with what's happening so far. Not completely. Not even close. But most accurately.
    i just am not sure about pipm being luck adjusted(which means like accounting for hot or cold shooting). It's great for predictive purposes but I prefer something that's both predictive and descriptive.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    i just am not sure about pipm being luck adjusted(which means like accounting for hot or cold shooting). It's great for predictive purposes but I prefer something that's both predictive and descriptive.
    Word.

In your opinion, how accurate is Gitlabs' version of RAPM? Don't think another website does year to year regression like they do. Not anymore at least.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Word.

In your opinion, how accurate is Gitlabs' version of RAPM? Don't think another website does year to year regression like they do. Not anymore at least.
    i dont think so either. i just check realgm's rapm thread at the end of the year. someone usually has the correct one posted.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

did lebron suddenly start playing defense again? because his rank is very elite.

Will he guard kawhi in the playoffs or let kuzma do it? Will it translate?

Because his defense has been so bad there its hard to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    did lebron suddenly start playing defense again? because his rank is very elite.

Will he guard kawhi in the playoffs or let kuzma do it? Will it translate?

Because his defense has been so bad there its hard to guess.
    he has according to most people but he still plays the free safety role a lot from what I seen. He'll have to guard kawhi or george in the playoffs however, the lakers might not even be able to play kuzma that many minutes. Only other option is to play big and put ad and danny on kawhi/george which isnt good.

Objective Lakers fan Gil Renard's Avatar

17th season and still the best in the world

WE WIN AGAIN!

What the **** is RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    What the **** is RPM?
    Only the single most important stat to evaluate and determine which player has the most impact on a team, albeit positive or negative.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Only the single most important stat to evaluate and determine which player has the most impact on a team, albeit positive or negative.
    This is interesting.

https://cornerthreehoops.wordpress.c...al-plus-minus/

Long but interesting.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Bran's minutes are staggered to ensure he plays against second units every game.

Nice try.