Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Kobe's last game shows just how compromised he was this season

Dude took 50 shots. 50. Just because he scored a lot of points does not mean it was a good game. He had a hot streak near the end that saved his game, but for 3.5 quarters he was actually hot garbage that just happened to have the green light.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrofir
    I was so happy for Kobe the other night, was on my feet rooting him on the entire game.

Then I come here and remember the biggest reason why I could never stand Kobe during his career -- his delusional fans.

Kobe would laugh at what you are writing, I guarantee it. If Kobe shot that low percentage this year primarily because of his teammates, then Devin Booker is going to be averaging 40/6/9 on 65% FG once the Suns put actual NBA players next to him.

The actual version of reality that you missed is -- Kobe was playing really badly this season, his body wasn't the same. He recognized it and said he was going to retire. Then he put on an amazing show in his last game, a very strange game where the entire event centered on him and basically nobody involved cared much about the outcome. That's not to take anything away from Kobe, that was magical and he couldn't control that context. But this wasn't a playoff game.

Now if Kobe took the offseason and got his body right and came back again next season could he play better? Probably! He could maybe even pick up his FG% to 39-40 and lead this Lakers team to 29 wins. This is reality. The 60 points were an unexpected gift. That's all you get.
    Well said.

Kobe's body is broken down, it takes a ton of work to get him healthy enough to play. It's been tough to watch Kobe over the last 3 years. It's usually kind of sad watching formerly great athletes when they are shells of their former selves.

Luckily, Kobe's final game was a 60 point performance and a victory. I'm glad he went out in that fashion.

Should have taken 50 shots every game...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    All year long, he mostly did post-ups and shot jumpers. Very little ball-handling or taking guys off the dribble.

Suddenly in the last game, he's using his full arsenal, blowing by people and actually getting in the paint.

Some of it was playing off the ball all year (unlike the last game) but it's clear he just wanted to finish the season standing. Without injuries, he definitely could have a productive player till 40 and I bet he'd have hung on if he thought the team had a chance for rings. A lot of his problems this year were due to rust and a poor supporting cast.
    You're an idiot...he didn't play like that all season long because he couldn't. If this was a mid season game he probably would have missed 2 weeks after. His shoulder still probably barely functions after all that chucking and his knees have to be hurting. Of course he went all out for his last game...it was his last game, but it doesn't mean anything as far as the whole season goes. It's also hilarious how kobe stans keep acting like the Jazz were playing tough defense...Gordon Hayward literally let Kobe just blow by him half a dozen times...not to mention there about 3 or 4 shadow fouls called the Jazz for Kobe.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 04-15-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Should have taken 50 shots every game...
    He didn't, so obviously he was compromised.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    60, 4, 4 on 44% FG, 54% TS, 50% eFG at age 37 in his 20th season.

"Not a good basketball player anymore...?

Hold this L, b*tch. I know you butthurt.

in an exhibition game while getting all the love from Refs?