Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation RPM over the 2020 season is out. Guess who's leading by a mile and then some?

Default Re: RPM over the 2020 season is out. Guess who's leading by a mile and then some?

The best player on the Lakers ranks 61st and is only slightly above being a positive on DRPM. How come?

Local High School Star

Default Re: RPM over the 2020 season is out. Guess who's leading by a mile and then some?

Bigger difference between #1 & #2, than #2 & #14

Chef Curry w/ da shot FromDowntown's Avatar

I can chime to say I did not expect him to be at the number one heap of the dog pack. His RPM wins also has him at the number 1 spot. I looked for a definition and ESPN shows this

RPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents and additional factor

I dont know what to say, if Curry wasnt hurt he would probably he number one but he isnt.

Top 3 RPM data by the years

LeBron
    Harden
    Giannis
    *Curry injured

George
    Harden
    Curry
    *Lebron 9th

Paul
    Harden
    Curry
    *LeBron 13th

LeBron
    Paul
    Curry

LeBron
    Draymond
    Paul
    *Curry 4th

Curry
    LeBron
    Harden
    *Draymond 8th

LeBron
    Paul
    Igoudala
    *Curry 6th

Basically shows Curry, LeBron, and Harden as most impact for a team to win

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FromDowntown
    I can chime to say I did not expect him to be at the number one heap of the dog pack. His RPM wins also has him at the number 1 spot. I looked for a definition and ESPN shows this

RPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents and additional factor

I dont know what to say, if Curry wasnt hurt he would probably he number one but he isnt.

Top 3 RPM data by the years

LeBron
    Harden
    Giannis
    *Curry injured

George
    Harden
    Curry
    *Lebron 9th

Paul
    Harden
    Curry
    *LeBron 13th

LeBron
    Paul
    Curry

James
    Draymond
    Paul
    *Curry 4th

Curry
    *LeBron
    Harden

LeBron
    Paul
    Igoudala
    *Curry 6th

Basically shows Curry, LeBron, and Harden as most impact for a team to win
    Not true - Curry's impact beats Lebron because Curry's style allows a higher team ceiling.

1-ball-dominator teams show tremendous impact when that player is removed and the team falls off (i.e. the suns without nash in 13' or the hornets without cp3 in 12'), but that style has a much lower team ceiling, and therefore is overstated in stats like RPM, which can't quantify brand/team ceiling/Finals record

So bran's stats are overstated due to lower brand/team ceiling, which also means he is a lot worse than MJ than we thought, since MJ had the highest ceilings and the biggest carry-jobs (1985, 1986, 1989-1991), aka the best of everything

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Not true - Curry's impact beats Lebron because Curry's style allows a higher team ceiling.

1-ball-dominator teams show tremendous impact when that player is removed and the team falls off (i.e. the suns without nash in 13' or the hornets without cp3 in 12'), but that style has a much lower team ceiling, and therefore is overstated in stats like RPM, which can't quantify brand/team ceiling/Finals record

So bran's stats are overstated due to lower brand/team ceiling, which also means he is a lot worse than MJ than we thought, since MJ had the highest ceilings and the biggest carry-jobs (1985, 1986, 1989-1991), aka the best of everything
    I agree Curry's style can lead to a better team ceiling, if you have all stars already. If you have scrubby players then LeBron's style probably works better carrying the extra work load. It's like working in a group on a work project and the one guy on the team is really good at doing a lot of stuff so lets see which fits his style

Group A: lots of other good workers, Curry style works better
    Group B: lots of rejects and new workers, LeBron style works better

He has the style to carry a strong workload so for weaker teams he is better style but flip it and they both dont work as good. Im saying give Lebron Draymond and Klay and Harrison Barnes and they dont get 73 wins, but also give Curry the 2007 or even 2018 Cavs squad and they might miss the playoffs and forget the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

And please keep MJ out of this thread we are talking about current impact and current players. I know you want to compare MJ and LBJ but leave it to 2020 for this thread

For the record RPM is a predictive stat. It isn't measuring just what has happened this season. It is also using what happened in previous seasons to predict what will happen going forward.

NBA rookie of the year

What you said about Curry can also be said about Lebron.

Heat without Lebron still had two allstars and barely made playoffs.
    Cavs without Lebron still had one allstar and they were a lottery team.
    Kyrie is back to pre-Lebron level. See Celtics and Nets winning more games without him.
    We can infer the same about Davis. He'll be back to missing / barely making playoffs without Lebron.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Will Barton at no.5 and Luka Doncic at no.15?

What does this stat show again?

confirms the eye test and other numbers

LeBron carrying both offense and defense in Y17

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    confirms the eye test and other numbers

LeBron carrying both offense and defense in Y17
    Let's forget LeBron for a moment. I don't know how this state is being created. I really don't. So... you tell me, please: Will Barton, Denzel Valentine, Donte DiVincenzo and Jalen Brunson are all in the top 20. What do you think a stat has to measure to have these guys that high? I honestly have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Let's forget LeBron for a moment. I don't know how this state is being created. I really don't. So... you tell me, please: Will Barton, Denzel Valentine, Donte DiVincenzo and Jalen Brunson are all in the top 20. What do you think a stat has to measure to have these guys that high? I honestly have no idea.
    I'm not a statistician so I will simply tell you to google some explandums on RPM (there are plenty) whic willh tell you what role do player roles, player backups, general statistical noise etc. play

No, Will Barton isn't the 5th best player in the league. He's however very good at whatever fvck is his role on the court.

Averaging 1.4 ppg RealSkipBayless's Avatar

A scrub like Tatum is top 5?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Let's forget LeBron for a moment. I don't know how this state is being created. I really don't. So... you tell me, please: Will Barton, Denzel Valentine, Donte DiVincenzo and Jalen Brunson are all in the top 20. What do you think a stat has to measure to have these guys that high? I I'm not a statistician so I will simply tell you to google some explandums on RPM (there is plenty) which tell you what role do player roles, player backups, general statistical noise etc. play
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    No, Will Barton isn't the 5th best player in the league. He's however very good at whatever fvck is his role on the court.

That's what I'm asking. What does this thing measure to come up with Barton at 5 and Doncic at 15.