Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Myth: Derrick Rose is an elite POINT guard ( He is an undersized SG like Wade)

Let's start of i personally only watch whoever Memphis plays. Since this was our first meeting with the Bulls. This was my first time I got to evaluate Derrick Rose's game. I have watched some of the best POINT guards in this league expose our defense. The Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo. Even some young puppies like Brandon Jennings and Darren Collision (17 assist on us). We simply struggle with teams with B or better point guard play. Luckily Rose isn't even close to a B point guard. He is a D POINT Guard. An amazing talent probably a top 15 talent for guys 25 or under in this league. However the guy is more of an SG than OJ Mayo, who is more of a PG btw. That is for a different topic to discuss.

Back to Rose.

As you guys know Rose is currently averaging 20 points 3 boards 5 assists. His first 2 games of the month of march he is taking 22 FGA. One thing that jumps at on Rose's statline. Besides his inability to shoot the 3 ball. Is his points per FGAs. Since he can't get to the line, or hit 3s. He really has to shoot the ball ALOT even if it is at an efficient rate. To get to 20 or more. I am talking 18-20 FGAs just to score 20 points..

Next thing i noticed is he is just not very good at pure court vision or passing instincts. I didn't see one pass where i said wow, how did he get that through, none. As you Bulls fans saw Mayo's 3 assists were all bullet legit, threading the needle on the pick and roll to Gasol. Now think if he has the ball everytime down to do that.

Back to Rose again

The most important thing i saw was how awful his pick and roll game is. Guys who are elite PGs, or average a lot of assists say 8 or more. All have killer pick and roll games. I am talking about the John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, Deron Williams. I am almost about to put Collison in that mix with what he has been doing to teams in the pick and roll. Rose was no threat at all coming off the pick and roll.

Why is that?
    Simply because of lack of court vision, and outside jumper. Is what it boils down to, not his teammates. I have said it before that OJ Mayo was a better passer and playmaker than Derrick Rose even though the stat sheet doesn't show that, because of the different system and roles they play on their team and tonight only comfirmed that.

I don't think Rose will ever maximize his potential being a full time PG, simply because he just doesn't have natural point guard instincts. I hate to bring up John Wall, but look what John Wall is doing under the same system, the dribble drive aka Princeton on Steriods offense, Rose was in under Callipari assist numbers wise. He should be a combo guard that spilts time at point and shooting guard like Billups. That will help Rose's psyche because he would know at an SG his job is to put the ball in the hole, and not worry about passing around the wings with no purpose.

He could average 26 points a game. He reminds me of Monta Ellis a lot. He has the same skill set and limited court vision, so why not max out his potential as an SG. Monta is averaging 25 5 5. There is no reason why Rose can't do the same.

One more thing, you just can't win ball games ( playoffs, championships) down the line when Rose enters his prime, with him being a Point Guard. Taking 20 FGAs or more a game constantly. I mean see Gilbert Areanas.

The last two games Rose has had 24 points on 24 FGAs dishing out 3 assists. and tonight 20 points on 21 FGAs dishing out 3 assists. both in losses.

Great talent, playing wrong position.
    Burns87, and Rose's fans do you agree?
    Last edited by O.J A 6'4Mamba; 03-05-2010 at 12:39 AM.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Default Re: Myth: Derrick Rose is an elite POINT guard ( He is an undersized SG like Wade)

why don't you tell your bud mayo to start making his damn free throws

edit: and because it is a good question (minus the obsessive need to compare him to mayo), i'll reserve judgement til he gets a proper big man sidekick to play the pick and roll with.

but as it stands now, can't really argue.
    Last edited by brooks_thompson; 03-05-2010 at 12:30 AM.

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Myth: Derrick Rose is an elite POINT guard ( He is an undersized SG like Wade)

Wade isn't an undersized shooting guard, he's an inch shorter than Kobe(Wade measured 6'3 3/4" barefoot and Kobe was measured 6'4 3/4" barefoot), has a 6'10 3/4" wingspan and weighs more than Kobe.

Rose>Mayo
    Me>You

Local High School Star

From the stats he has been putting up lately, it looks like hes been playing more like an sg. But i can only go by stats because i have not seen many bulls games.

Local High School Star

i agree that he lacks court vision a bit but he is a PG..just a scoring pg.
    he doesnt have to play like kidd to be a PG...theres plenty of scoring pgs

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

i really don't want to make the steve francis comparison this early in rose's career, but..

on the other hand, who needs rose at the two when you've got hinrich to bomb away all game!

bulls better pay up and get a PF this summer. i think rose could be fine at PG with a #1 option to play with. he really seems reluctant to be a go-to guy, and maybe that bodes well for shaking the francis curse.

Quote Originally Posted by SEEBASS1234
    Rose>Mayo
    Me>You

i lol. You got me on that before i could whip it out.

im supposed to read a negative post about d rose from a guy sporting an ojmayo screen name and take it seriously?

this is like the kiddie version of kobe lovers making an anti lebron thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    im supposed to read a negative post about d rose from a guy sporting an ojmayo screen name and take it seriously?

this is like the kiddie version of kobe lovers making an anti lebron thread
    I took no shot at Rose. The worst I said was OJ Mayo was more of a PG/playmaker/passer/better passing instincts. Which is he, no bulls fan that watched tonights game can disagree or they are in denial.

I compared him to Monta Ellis and said he could score 26 or more a game if he played his natural position due to lack of point guard instincts as a shooting guard. He could put up numbers if you crossbreed D-Wade and Monta Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Wade isn't an undersized shooting guard, he's an inch shorter than Kobe(Wade measured 6'3 3/4" barefoot and Kobe was measured 6'4 3/4" barefoot), has a 6'10 3/4" wingspan and weighs more than Kobe.
    Yeah i was about to say this, Wade is not undersized for a 2.

Although i'd agree that Rose is nothing close to a pure point.

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba

i lol. You got me on that before i could whip it out.
    i try

All this conclusions from watching ONE f*cking game.

Amazing.

Wade is an undersized SG?

Except Wade is taller than Rose, and Mayo, weighs more than both, stronger than both, and has a larger wingspan. So what does that make Mayo & Rose? A tiny SG?

Certified ISHiot.

Wade may not be the tallest SG in the league, but he's got some long @ss arms. That makes a big difference.