Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Rank the following people in terms of actually existing

10 people. 10 names from History or Mythology that may or may not have existed. Feel free to give your opinions one way or the other on the order of your list.

In no order:

Odin
    Achilles
    Jesus Christ
    Goliath
    Zeus
    King Arthur
    Thor
    Horus
    Beowulf
    Ragnar Lothbrok
    Last edited by Patrick Chewing; 11-30-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Default Re: Rate the following people in terms of actually existing

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    10 people. 10 names from History or Mythology that may or may not have existed. Feel free to give your opinions one way or the other on the order of your list.

In no order:

Odin/not real
    Achilles/ I think he was a real warrior but his abilities exaggerated
    Jesus Christ/ real
    Goliath/real
    Zeus/not
    King Arthur/ based on ruler
    Thor/not real
    Horus/not real
    Beowulf/ based on kings but wasn't a real person

Ragnar Lothbrok/don't know who that is

NBA Legend

Jesus of Nazareth most definitely existed. Usually the kings of Viking saga's are loosely historically based, even if the stories are highly exaggerated. So Ragnar existed. Odin and Thor were Viking gods, correct? So they probably were not based on specific people. Achilles probably was (just a guess). Zeus, no. The others I'm not too familiar with.

You're putting Jesus and Zeus in the same may/may not have existed category??

Damn you're stupid.

There is no respectable debate that Jesus wasn't really a man.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 11-30-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Banned

Most of the characters and stories in religion are just ancient fables passed down through the civilizations of humanity... The branding and details might change, but the core is always the same. Religion. An effective tool to enslave individuality, thought and imagination. Good or bad? Irrelevant

I wonder if there are people on ISH who believe Jesus Christ is the son of a mystical tyrant named god and turned wine into water and shit. And that if he even existed at all he was white and not brown skinned and didn't have a mother who lied about screwing around with the town blacksmith to avoid being stoned to death in the barbaric ancient middle east

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady

Damn you're stupid.

There is no proof that Jesus was an actual man.
    fixed

But let's assume there was. Some DNA or something is eventually found and somehow someone concludes it's the blood of Christ. I predict all it'd prove is that he indeed had a father from the local population and not a fictional deity. Cause science and stuff produces some pretty reliable models. Unlike that bible.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    fixed

But let's assume there was. Some DNA or something is eventually found and somehow someone concludes it's the blood of Christ. I predict all it'd prove is that he indeed had a father from the local population and not a fictional deity. Cause science and stuff produces some pretty reliable models. Unlike that bible.

You seem really mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    You seem really mad.
    nah just stirring up the ol ISH pot

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    fixed

Jesus the man is mentioned by many texts that have nothing to do with Christianity.

I bet you would readily accept the 'life and times' of a man who was mentioned as often as Jesus has been referenced throughout historical documents but from a lot further back than around 2000 years... as long as it's not Jesus.

I never said Jesus was the Son of God.

Your post makes you come off pretty ignorant and with blinders on. Cultural baggage has bettered you in this instance

Banned

Damn you're stupid.

There is no respectable debate that Jesus wasn't really a man.
    He's almost certainly a composite of several characters who were walking around at the time.

Jesus was a real g, no water for me homie. Only alcohol.

Jesus the man is mentioned by many texts that have nothing to do with Christianity.
    By "many" you mean 2 texts that make a small reference to Jesus, written about a hundred years after Jesus supposedly died.

It makes sense that Jesus existed. If you look at other religions with a similar origin as Christianity, they all started with some guy claiming to be Gods messenger, so why would Christianity be any different? Why would early Christians make their founder up completely out of thin air, rather than just embellish and write a fantasy around a real figure? That makes no sense and there is no evidence for that.

But lets not act like there is a ton of written evidence directly proving Jesus existence or something. No one wrote about Jesus during his life, or after his death. Jesus only starts becoming a figure and starts getting mentioned after Christianity became a widespread movement, many years after Jesus died.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    By "many" you mean 2 texts that make a small reference to Jesus, written about a hundred years after Jesus supposedly died.

It makes sense that Jesus existed. If you look at other religions with a similar origin as Christianity, they all started with some guy claiming to be Gods messenger, so why would Christianity be any different? Why would early Christians make their founder up completely out of thin air, rather than just embellish and write a fantasy around a real figure? That makes no sense and there is no evidence for that.

But lets not act like there is a ton of written evidence directly proving Jesus existence or something. No one wrote about Jesus during his life, or after his death. Jesus only starts becoming a figure and starts getting mentioned after Christianity became a widespread movement, many years after Jesus died.
    What are you talking about? Saul of Tarsus was dead before the year 70AD.

[QUOTE]For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    What are you talking about? Saul of Tarsus was dead before the year 70AD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...he_Corinthians

Original date of composition believed to be about 2 decades after the death of Christ.
    I was replying to this:

Don't change the goal posts.