Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Bobcats Forum

Charlotte Bobcats Forum Charlotte Bobcats message board - charlotte bobcats fan forum

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Jerry Sloan Interested In Bobcats Coaching Job

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...nterested.html

Quote:
Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan likely will meet with Charlotte Bobcats management about their job opening, an informed source confirmed Tuesday evening.

Sloan, who turned 70 in March, has been out of coaching the past 11/2 seasons after a 22-plus season tenure with the Utah Jazz. Sloan told the Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday he’s ready to return to coaching and is interested in working for Bobcats owner Michael Jordan.

Sloan told the Tribune he wasn’t turned off by the idea of taking over a team that went 7-59 this season – the worst winning percentage in NBA history.

“Obviously we wouldn’t win right off the bat,” Sloan said of the Bobcats. “But sometimes it’s not all about starting on top.”

Sloan indicated he’d be interested in the opening in Orlando but hadn’t heard from the Magic after coach Stan Van Gundy was fired Monday.

Sloan and Jordan have had longtime respect for each other. Sloan’s Jazz teams advanced to the NBA Finals in 1997 and 1998, only to be eliminated both times by Jordan’s Chicago Bulls teams.

Sloan indicated to the Tribune he might meet soon with Jordan about the opening. Coincidentally there is a major motorcycle race in Salt Lake City this weekend which Jordan has attended in the past. Sloan has a farm in Illinois, but told the Tribune he was headed back to Salt Lake City this week.

Sloan coached 19 Jazz teams to the playoffs. His regular-season record (he also coached the Bulls three seasons from 1979 to 1982) is 1,221-803, a 60.3 winning percentage.

After resigning from the Jazz, Sloan received feelers from a handful of NBA teams last offseason. He said he wasn’t yet ready to return to the bench, though an overture from the Indiana Pacers was of the most interest.

Now he seems recharged and bored in retirement. Certainly he’d be challenged by the prospect of putting the Bobcats back on firm footing.

Sloan would join a long list of candidates the Bobcats have interviewed. Most recently they talked with former Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan.

Others interviewed include Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas, Golden State Warriors assistant Michael Malone, Memphis Grizzlies assistant Dave Joerger, Magic assistant Patrick Ewing, Cleveland Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts and St. John’s assistant Mike Dunlap.

Indiana assistant Brian Shaw also is expected to get an interview once the Pacers’ season ends.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Jerry Sloan Interested In Bobcats Coaching Job

You'd have to think the top 3 candidates are:

Sloan
McMillan
Shaw

Anyone else really is just to fill things out. And, if we hire anyone else, I'll be pissed.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Charlotte Observer is saying Sloan will be in town today.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

I guess it went ok.

He's my pick by far.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this board

I saw a headline on today's (Monday) foxsports/msn website that the Laker's coach is interested in coaching the Cats. I'm ashamed to say that I don't even know who is coaching the Lakers.............yes I've missed this entire season.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
I saw a headline on today's (Monday) foxsports/msn website that the Laker's coach is interested in coaching the Cats. I'm ashamed to say that I don't even know who is coaching the Lakers.............yes I've missed this entire season.

The Lakers coach is Mike Brown but it is one of his assistants, Quinn Snyder, who wants the Bobcats job. He was interviewed yesterday. I don't know much about him except I hated him when he played at Dook. We called him Queen Snyder then.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this boardonewickedlady is popular on this board

Will it make a difference? The coach? The owner? The FO? Heck, why don't we just get Bernie Bickerstaff back?

Oh, I am too negative. Sorry.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Down to 3: Sloan, Shaw and Snyder.

One of those is not like the other two...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

As much as I'd love to get Sloan, I feel like it would be The Larry Brown Experiment Part 2, mainly because of age, he wouldn't be here as long as Shaw or Snyder would be.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

I'd be happy with either Sloan or Shaw. That means we're hiring Snyder.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Certainly Jordan wouldn't hire a Coach K product....would he?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Certainly Jordan wouldn't hire a Coach K product....would he?

Sure he would. If he thought Snyder was the best choice I imagine where he played college wouldn't have even a little bit of influence either way.

Remember the famous line "Republicans wear shoes too"?

Sloan would be nothing like LB other than focusing on teaching our kids but you are probably right on the 3-4 year thing. Of course a lot is going to ride on our next coach being able to develop our players (no small thing) so there's no guarantee any of these guys would last past that.

I am feeling better about Snyder the more I've read...so I probably won't have a conniption whoever we choose.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Sloan is no longer in the mix. Probably because Jordan doesn't want to pay him the 5+ million he was making in Utah.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Sloan is no longer in the mix. Probably because Jordan doesn't want to pay him the 5+ million he was making in Utah.

Exactly. Welcome coach Snyder. (Going to kill myself)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: