Default Players that re-sign with current team for 1 year will actually lose money?

So the common thought is that a player can make the most money by re-signing with their current team, but I just read an article that stated otherwise. Apparently a player who re-signs with their current team can receive a max contract increase of 20%. Under normal conditions, that means that their current team could offer more than any other team. However, because of the salary cap spike, that 20% increase is actually less than the max 1 year deal other teams can offer a player to leave their current team. I believe the article stated that LeBron James will actually lose 3 million $$$ if he signs a 1+1 to stay in Cleveland.

Default Re: Players that re-sign with current team for 1 year will actually lose money?

Nobody else finds it interesting that all these guys talking about taking 1+1 deals are actually going to be leaving money on the table if they stay with the same team?

Default Re: Players that re-sign with current team for 1 year will actually lose money?

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    So the common thought is that a player can make the most money by re-signing with their current team, but I just read an article that stated otherwise. Apparently a player who re-signs with their current team can receive a max contract increase of 20%. Under normal conditions, that means that their current team could offer more than any other team. However, because of the salary cap spike, that 20% increase is actually less than the max 1 year deal other teams can offer a player to leave their current team. I believe the article stated that LeBron James will actually lose 3 million $$$ if he signs a 1+1 to stay in Cleveland.

Post the Link. What you are saying, is not true.

So the 20% Increase, ONLY applies to an already max contract.

Which means, LBJ, making the max already, can only make a certain percentage increase.

So, there is set max values for guys depending on years of service.

so I think it's like

0-4
    4-7
    9+ years or more.

something like that.

So, in this case, IF LBJ is already making the max within his bracket, then any team can ONLY offer him that max for his years of service.

BUT, his current team can offer him the increase of 20%, on top of the max that he is making.

I believe the max that another team can offer LeBron will be based on a % of the new salary cap. The max that Cleveland can offer him will be based on his current deal + 20%. Normally the +20% would be more money, but because of the huge salary cap spike... it will actually be less.

This should apply to any player who already has a max deal and is looking to sign a 1+1 i.e. LeBron and Durant.