Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Is 2/6 the high cap of achievement in modern era?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    6/6
    5/7
    3/5
    2/6

1-9

Pippen > Kobe > Wade > LeBron > Jordan?

seriously?

6/6
    5/7
    3/5

2/6
    I guess we'll just gloss over the fact that they weren't even the best player in the majority of their Finals wins. By this logic

Havlicek 8/8 > Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta

seriously?
    Learn math. The listed are FINAL's win/loss.

6/6 > 5/7 > 3/5 >>>> 2/6

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

More delusions - the reality is that today's spacing necessitates gimmick defensive tactics that compromise the defense (i.e. strongside flooding, which doesn't get ball out of ballhandler's hands and leaves weakside a man down - [COLOR="Navy"]but the move is a necessary gamble, otherwise the spacing gives strongside ballhandlers too much time and room when they have the ball[/COLOR]).

Similarly, doubling the post before the ball gets there is an extremely obvious move that leaves someone wide open - it prevents a post player from catching it, [COLOR="Navy"]but that's only a consideration in today's game because the spacing gives players too much time and room to operate once they catch it[/COLOR]... The spacing and further distance of help defenders makes today's post players too dangerous when they catch the ball.

Otoh, when there isn't spacing and help defense is much closer, a team is better off NOT compromising their defense by doubling early and leaving someone wide open.. The lack of spacing made previous eras better-equipped to handle a post player that has the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    I guess we'll just gloss over the fact that they weren't even the best player in the majority of their Finals wins. By this logic

Havlicek 8/8 > Jordan
    And Havlicek came BEFORE Jordan.

Here's a bit of advice....when you are trying to argue against someone's point, stop posting things that just further reinforce it. With each passing area, the bar for what is considered to be acceptable is lowered. This in combination with the fact that a guy who is just 2/6 even has a following just proves my point to be fact.

Figures that everyone agrees with my sound logic as usual.

Good High School Starter

Meh.
    Spacing may be better today but back in the Jordan days team defense was less advanced and guys just sticking with their own man was much more common.

I was watching a part of the 92 Finals and Jordan who was being single covered led his own defender into one of his own teammates who was completely focused on sticking with his own man and he used him as a screen to get a wide open jumper.
    Couldn't do something like that today...

Playing against a defense where everyone sticks to their man makes it easier for an offensive player to control things on that end.

OP is 40 years old, sad that the only memories of his favourite player is him getting his father killed over gambling debts

life must suck
    Must suck that you never saw Jordan live. Tears do taste good though.

What's it like only being able to be a fan in an era where you didn't get to witness 6/6?

And Havlicek came BEFORE Jordan.

Here's a bit of advice....when you are trying to argue against someone's point, stop posting things that just further reinforce it. With each passing area, the bar for what is considered to be acceptable is lowered. This in combination with the fact that a guy who is just 2/6 even has a following just proves my point to be fact.

Figures that everyone agrees with my sound logic as usual.
    I don't even care about each era. Saying "5/7" and "3/5" is idiotic when Wade was outplayed by the "2/6" loser in two of his Finals wins, while Kobe was badly outplayed by Shaq in 3 of his Finals wins, including historically so in 2000

Decent college freshman

Couldve been 5/5 if Wade actually had a decent off-ball game
    True

Havlicek 8/8 > Jordan

You'd rather be 2/6 with 2 Finals MVPs or 3/6 with 2 Finals MVPs?

NBA Superstar

Being drunk on Tuesday nights is always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade's Rings
    True

You'd rather be 2/6 with 2 Finals MVPs or 3/6 with 2 Finals MVPs?
    When did I ever say that? In the case of LeBron/Wade, I'd rather be the best player on 2 championship teams than 1, regardless of Finals losses

Decent college freshman

When did I ever say that? In the case of LeBron/Wade, I'd rather be the best player on 2 championship teams than 1, regardless of Finals losses
    You mentioned being the best player so you must be referring to Finals MVPs. That means you would want 2 Titles over 3?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wade's Rings
    You mentioned being the best player so you must be referring to Finals MVPs. That means you would want 2 Titles over 3?
    Easily, winning without FMVP means nothing

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqTwizzle

Playing against a defense where everyone sticks to their man makes it easier for an offensive player to control things on that end.
    Except this didn't happen... This is the biggest tell that a poster is both young and never played basketball themselves - so you haven't watched games from previous eras and you don't know what man-to-man defense means.

To make a long story short - since the game was invented, man-to-man defenders have been taught to, and have been legally allowed to play halfway in between their man and the ball, in most situations.

Also, when there's no spacing and all 10 players are bunched up on strongside and/or in paint - help defenders are much CLOSER to help.... This contrasts with today's game where the 10 players are spread out - so help defenders are always further away)... Here's an example of the lack of spacing and resulting closer proximity of help defenders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDGm8pV6uU&t=6m40s