Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 2008 Celtics Vs 2013 Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    This would be instant classic of a series I got Boston in 7 games.
    It really could go both ways. In my eyes I see it like this if each team has the final posesssion

Final posession Boston - Garnett Inbounds the ball to Pierce, Ray Allen off-the-ball cutting to try and get a shot, Pierce try to make his own while Garnett rushes to the post for some last chance put-back/rebound.

Final Posession Heat - Haslem inbounds the ball, Bosh stays outside while Haslem goes into the post to do the same rebounding thing, Bosh and Lebron pick and roll with wade cutting from the weak side just in case. Lebron either takes the shot or pass it to the pick and pop Bosh (2014 finals game 2, Bosh's game winning 3 for example from a Lebron pass) or Lebron goes all the way with the layup, with haslem bullying a path for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    It really could go both ways. In my eyes I see it like this if each team has the final posesssion

Final posession Boston - Garnett Inbounds the ball to Pierce, Ray Allen off-the-ball cutting to try and get a shot, Pierce try to make his own while Garnett rushes to the post for some last chance put-back/rebound.

Final Posession Heat - Haslem inbounds the ball, Bosh stays outside while Haslem goes into the post to do the same rebounding thing, Bosh and Lebron pick and roll with wade cutting from the weak side just in case. Lebron either takes the shot or pass it to the pick and pop Bosh (2014 finals game 2, Bosh's game winning 3 for example from a Lebron pass) or Lebron goes all the way with the layup, with haslem bullying a path for him.
    What makes you so sure Lebron can just go all the way with the lay up just bec Bosh's guy sticks to him?
    Boston led the league in defense that year not just bec of simple defensive schemes. Bear in mind that Thibs was FULLY FOCUSED on just the defensive side of the game. That Boston had James Posey, one of the most underrated defenders in the league. Easy to forget that Pierce was just 30 yrs old and was very focused on defense too. They also had PJ Brown at PF, remember him? Kendrik Perkins was just 23 yrs old back then.
    Celtics was so potent defensively they held Lebron to 35.5FG%, 23% 3ptFG%, 5.28 turnovers.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s-celtics.html

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    What makes you so sure Lebron can just go all the way with the lay up just bec Bosh's guy sticks to him?
    Boston led the league in defense that year not just bec of simple defensive schemes. Bear in mind that Thibs was FULLY FOCUSED on just the defensive side of the game. That Boston had James Posey, one of the most underrated defenders in the league. Easy to forget that Pierce was just 30 yrs old and was very focused on defense too. They also had PJ Brown at PF, remember him? Kendrik Perkins was just 23 yrs old back then.
    Celtics was so potent defensively they held Lebron to 35.5FG%, 23% 3ptFG%, 5.28 turnovers.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s-celtics.html
    I don't know much about PJ Brown but Perkins and Garnett definetly seem like a deterrent. But keep in mind that if they collapse on Lebron, Bosh is on the perimeter and Wade is on the weak side. I'm not saying it works. I just gave my prediction to what kind of moves these teams might go to.

I don't know much about PJ Brown but Perkins and Garnett definetly seem like a deterrent. But keep in mind that if they collapse on Lebron, Bosh is on the perimeter and Wade is on the weak side. I'm not saying it works. I just gave my prediction to what kind of moves these teams might go to.
    Have you checked Bosh's stats from the 3 pt line? I did.
    2008, he shot 14.7% in that playoffs, has a career ave of 38.6%, even if he shot 40%, that's pretty low if the game is on the line.
    Wade has a career ave of 28% from the 3pt line, 39% from the 10-23 feet,
    You might have seen both these guys nail open jumpers before, but the stats speak for itself.
    If indeed they are flawless with Lebron, then logic will tell you that they would have rode on that formula countless times and win at least 4 rings together.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Have you checked Bosh's stats from the 3 pt line? I did.
    2008, he shot 14.7% in that playoffs, has a career ave of 38.6%, even if he shot 40%, that's pretty low if the game is on the line.
    Wade has a career ave of 28% from the 3pt line, 39% from the 10-23 feet,
    You might have seen both these guys nail open jumpers before, but the stats speak for itself.
    If indeed they are flawless with Lebron, then logic will tell you that they would have rode on that formula countless times and win at least 4 rings together.

Yes.
    But we're discussing the 2013 Heat my friend.
    In which he shot 34% in the RS and 40% in the Playoffs.

Yes.
    But we're discussing the 2013 Heat my friend.
    In which he shot 34% in the RS and 40% in the Playoffs.
    Are you talking about the year they won it all and beat San Antonio where they needed the last sec 3 from Ray Allen to tie and eventually beat the Spurs at home?
    Well, let me tell you that 2008 Boston (ranked 1st) was more superior in defense as compared to '13 Spurs which relied on 36 yr old Duncan and 35yr old Manu to defend. And INSPITE of that fact, Bosh was ZERO OF SIX from the 3pt line that finals.
    Yes, Bosh hit a remarkable 40% from the 3pt line overall but that was against teams that don't defend the perimeter well.
    Again you have failed to consider the level of competition/defense that Bosh had to face then. It is not a coincidence that BOTH Lebron and Kobe struggled shooting against the 08 Celtics. Fisher has a career 3pt % of nearly 40% in the playoffs, vs Boston, he shoots well below that.
    Sorry for sounding like a broken record, if that play of pick and roll play with Lebron and Bosh were so effective, why then, did they NOT exploited and maximized the scheme so they don't need to rely on Allen to shoot and force OT?

I'd pay good money to see that series.

Will KG get in Bron and Bosh's heads? Who wins the wing matchups between Wade-Ray Allen/Pierce

I'm taking the Celtics. Although the defensive scheme they won with in '08 was advanced at the time and almost commonplace by 2013...

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

2013 Heat easily. Lebron and scrubs almost beat the Celtics in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el

Will KG get in Bron and Bosh's heads? Who wins the wing matchups between Wade-Ray Allen/Pierce

I'm taking the Celtics. Although the defensive scheme they won with in '08 was advanced at the time and almost commonplace by 2013...
    Kinda like the Suns Offense in 06' and today's offense?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el

Don't get me wrong, having a great defensive scheme is very important but it wouldn't have worked if they didn't have very good hardworking players who were totally sold out and committed in making it work.
    Boston had James Posey back then, one of the most under rated defenders, even had Tony Allen sitting on the bench. KG, Pierce, Allen etc were a lot younger and quicker to their feet to shoot the gaps etc. PJ Brown was old but had the key basics to provide help.
    I think of Mark Jackson when he first coached GSW, he declared that they will be a defensive force right away, it didn't happened until year 2, when everyone got wiser and healthier etc.