Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2008 Celtics Vs 2013 Heat

Who wins? (Ray allen is on both teams in his respective version)

Celtics at their absolute peak,
    Lebron at the highest point of his prime,

This is the same Heat team that managed to give Popovich his only finals defeat, and seemed like they could come back from any defict (Mostly in the RS you'd see them coming from behind 15-20 points to win games)

And this is the Celtics team that won 67 games, dismantled the MVP's lakers and restored the franchise to glory.

*Notes
    *The Celtics were taken to 7 games by a younger more inexperienced Lebron
    *The Heat were taken to 7 games a year before by an aging celtics core
    *Lebron would be playing -angry- if facing that Celtics team
    *Pierce could still be considered a preimere defender who could get into bron's head at the time

I'm going with the Heat in 7.

Default Re: 2008 Celtics Vs 2013 Heat

Simple:

Regular season version of the Heat, the version that won 27 straight with a healthy Wade?

Series ends in 6.

Post season version of the Heat, who beat SA with an injured Wade?

Series ends in 7.

Heat win either way.

NBA rookie of the year

2013 Heat = Saved by Ray Allen (who is on Boston Celtics)

Well considering 2013 Ray Allen knows all the Celtics tricks I would say he receals the info to his team and they expose the 08 Celtics

A better version of that Heat team BARELY beat the 2012 Celtics, who were probably 80% as good as the '08 Celtics.

'08 Celtics mop the floor with Miami in 5 assuming they have HCA with their 66 wins.

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    A better version of that Heat team BARELY beat the 2012 Celtics, who were probably 80% as good as the '08 Celtics.

'08 Celtics mop the floor with Miami in 5 assuming they have HCA with their 66 wins.
    How were the 12 heat better

13 had the 27 game win streak with an added Allen, Birdman, and Rashard Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Nilocon165
    How were the 12 heat better

13 had the 27 game win streak with an added Allen, Birdman, and Rashard Lewis
    Wade was healthier and way more productive in the playoffs/finals.

'12 Wade playoffs: 23/5/4 on 46%
    '13 Wade playoffs: 16/5/5 on 46%

I forgot that Bosh was injured in '12, though. Although he was actually worse in '13, particularly in the finals where he had his infamous zero point game 7.

The addition of Allen is significant, perhaps they were a wash in terms of their play during the playoffs. Regardless, the '08 Celtics were a much better team than they were in 2012, still think they soundly defeat the Heat in a 7-game series. Especially if LeBron's jumper is broken for the first four games of the series like it was against the Spurs.

I chose the 2013 heat because I believe they are better.
    They performed very well imo in the playoffs considering the competition they had. (That pacers team was no joke, nor was San antonio. As opposed to a past it's prime celtics team and a too young OKC.)

In fact,
    I think that the 2013 Pacers beat the 2012 Celtics.

But that's besides the discussion,
    You really think they beat them in 5?
    I think the Heat's ultra hyperactive defense schemes do well against them.
    A scheme they really perfected in that 2013 season.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    They performed very well imo in the playoffs considering the competition they had. (That pacers team was no joke, nor was San antonio. As opposed to a past it's prime celtics team and a too young OKC.)

In fact,

the '13 Heat had BIRDman .. which made a big difference.

A series with the two would be a crapshoot.. celtics have the defense and rim protection to stop the Heat, but the Heat had the perimeter defense to limit the Celtics outside play. it's a coin toss for me.

In fact,

You have to keep in mind that the '08 Celtics had Garnett who was still in his prime and playing MVP-caliber ball for the Celtics, anchoring one of the best defenses of the decade.

He would feast on the likes of Birdman and Haslem. That Heat team was severely limited in terms of their frontcourt. LeBron did an incredible job filling in the blanks with his rebounding/versatile defense throughout the playoffs to cover this up, but those '08 Celtics were a great team. They'd find a way to exploit that weakness for sure, especially with a prime Garnett.

You have to keep in mind that the '08 Celtics had Garnett who was still in his prime and playing MVP-caliber ball for the Celtics, anchoring one of the best defenses of the decade.

He would feast on the likes of Birdman and Haslem. That Heat team was severely limited in terms of their frontcourt. LeBron did an incredible job filling in the blanks with his rebounding/versatile defense throughout the playoffs to cover this up, but those '08 Celtics were a great team. They'd find a way to exploit that weakness for sure, especially with a prime Garnett.

Well.
    When you say it like that...

Just kidding lol, but yeah you know what my buttons are

Anyway, I gave it to the Heat in 7. Which is practically calling it a 51/49 coin toss. Celtics could definetly come away with it, my thought is just that in close cases like this, the superstars drag their team to victory.

Well.
    When you say it like that...

Just kidding lol, but yeah you know what my buttons are

Anyway, I gave it to the Heat in 7. Which is practically calling it a 51/49 coin toss. Celtics could definetly come away with it, my thought is just that in close cases like this, the superstars drag their team to victory.
    You're probably right, especially with how the '08 Celtics played in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Never know when they might go into a mental lapse like that, can't do that against LeBron and company.

I'm probably a little biased since I had to watch the '08 Celtics slaughter my Lakers in the finals, but it would be interesting to see how a '13 LeBron would play against the '08 Celtics.

'08 LeBron had an incredible game 7, but outside of that he was abysmal against the Celtics defense. '13 LeBron certainly was much improved from his '08 version so it'd be interesting to see what he'd be capable of against that defense.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

A better version of that Heat team BARELY beat the 2012 Celtics
    Uhh, you do remember that Bosh didn't play the first 5 games of that series, right? They were starting the likes of Turiaf, Joel Anthony and Haslem's corpse without him at center. Also, in no world are the 2012 Heat better than a healthy 2013 Heat team.

As far as the matchup's concerned, if the 2011 Heat, easily the Big 3's weakest version, took care of a darn good Boston team in 5 games that postseason, hard to imagine their best version ever losing to them.

Heat any day.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Uhh, you do remember that Bosh didn't play the first 5 games of that series, right? They were starting the likes of Turiaf, Joel Anthony and Haslem's corpse without him at center. Also, in no world are the 2012 Heat better than a healthy 2013 Heat team.

As far as the matchup's concerned, if the 2011 Heat, easily the Big 3's weakest version, took care of a darn good Boston team in 5 games that postseason, hard to imagine their best version ever losing to them.

Heat any day.
    Comparing the 2011 Celtics to the 2008 Celtics...that's just ridiculous. the Big Three were all at an age when they joined together that there were significant drops in quality of their play as each year went by after 2009.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy

Heat any day.
    the '11 Heat were the first or second best team of that era.. vying with '13. merely a question of would you rather have a peak 19/9 Bosh in his comfort zone, and peak wade or downgraded versions of those two but better depth. Either way, making a judgement on the '08 Celtics based on what they were in '11 ?? absurd.