Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Who would you rather have on your team, Iggy or Joe Johnson?

I would much rather have Igoudala on my team. He is one of if not the best perimeter defender in the league and a good canditate for DPOY. He isn't the go to option that Joe Johnson is, but he literally does everything else better. Rebounding, running the break, defense, passing, finishing, etc. He is a much superior all around player and can fit in with a variety of casts. Oh and Iggy is shooting better from threepoint land this year as well. His three point shot is good this year, he just needs to completely get rid of the long twos.

Joe Johnson on the other hand offers little to a game unless he is shooting the ball efficiently and is hot. He doesn't get to the rim as easily, he isn't half the defender. He is just a better overall scorer, but is the tradeoff worth it?

Most casual fans would choose Joe Johnson with ease, but I am eager to see what ISH picks.

Banned

Default Re: Who would you rather have on your team, Iggy or Joe Johnson?

jeremy lin

jeremy lin as well.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore xoneatom's Avatar

-__- but to seriously answer the question between iggy and jj, Id pick Lin.

Iggy. I still laugh at the idea of Joe Johnson being a max contract player. lol.

Banned

I would rather have Joe Johnson on my team because the Bulls need scoring and JJ would provide that. Plus JJ is a two-guard while Iggy is a 3 and the Bulls already have Deng at the 3 and he is better than both of these guys in my opinion.

As for who is better? I would still go with Joe Johnson. Joe Johnson is a much better scorer and shooter like you said and I think he is comparable with Iggy in most other aspects of the game as well.

I don't think Iggy has much of an edge on JJ in terms of passing/playmaking. JJ had seasons with Atlanta where he averaged 5-6 apg. The only thing that is changed is that JJ acutally has a PG or at least a natural PG to play with now (Teague, Hinrich) where before when he averaged around 5-6 apg he didn't have a PG. He is also playing less minutes these days compared to the days when he did average 5-6 apg. Before JJ was playing with Mike Bibby who is obviously a shoot-first, score-first PG so JJ was responsible for the team's playmaking duties. Now that Bibby is gone and Teague and Hinrich are in, JJ no longer has that responsibility. I don't JJ has necessarily regressed as a passer/playmaker but has simply just taken a different role.

However, in my opinion assists are not necessarily the best indicator for playmaking and passing skills though and I think assists are relatively actually overvalued and overrated. I do think the edge goes to Iggy but it is actally close.

Iggy is the better defender than JJ here and there is no question about it, however I don't think JJ is a stiff on defense though. I have never heard anyone complain or talk about how JJ's defense sucks. JJ is an above average defender so while Iggy does have an advantage here. I don't think it's nearly as big as some people make it as.

As for their rebounding, Iggy is superior again and the numbers do show it. However, I do think that it's not fair to compare their absolute numbers because they play different positions. Joe plays the shooting guard position while Iggy plays the small forward position so obviously Iggy will and should average and get more rebounds than him. Iggy is superior but it isn't by much especially if we compare them pound for pound.

Let me sum this up, Joe Johnson is the much better scorer and shooter while Iggy is better at every other aspect but not as much as you or most people make it out of. I think Joe's superior scoring and shooting advantages make him superior player than Iguodala. I can think of plenty of players who aren't better all-around players than another but better overall players.

Would anyone say Andre Iguodala was better overall player than Kevin Durant back in '09-'10? I mean Iggy was the better all-around player than Durant was. Iggy was the better passer, better rebounder, and easily a better defender. I can almost guarantee most people would have said Durant was better that season.

Would anyone say Stephen Jackson was better overall player than Paul Pierce back in '09-'10? I mean Jackson was the better all-around player than Pierce was. Jackson was the better passer, better rebounder, and probably a better defender. I can almost guarantee most people would have said Pierce was better that season.

You get the point? I think scoring can make that much of a difference especially when JJ is that much superior than Iggy at that aspect.
    Last edited by StateOfMind12; 02-11-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I would rather have Joe Johnson on my team because the Bulls need scoring and JJ would provide that. Plus JJ is a two-guard while Iggy is a 3 and the Bulls already have Deng at the 3 and he is better than both of these guys in my opinion.

As for who is better? I would still go with Joe Johnson. Joe Johnson is a much better scorer and shooter like you said and I think he is comparable with Iggy in most other aspects of the game as well.

I don't think Iggy has much of an edge on JJ in terms of passing/playmaking. JJ had seasons with Atlanta where he averaged 5-6 apg. The only thing that is changed is that JJ acutally has a PG or at least a natural PG to play with now (Teague, Hinrich) where before when he averaged around 5-6 apg he didn't have a PG. He is also playing less minutes these days compared to the days when he did average 5-6 apg. Before JJ was playing with Mike Bibby who is obviously a shoot-first, score-first PG so JJ was responsible for the team's playmaking duties. Now that Bibby is gone and Teague and Hinrich are in, JJ no longer has that responsibility. I don't JJ has necessarily regressed as a passer/playmaker but has simply just taken a different role.

However, in my opinion assists are not necessarily the best indicator for playmaking and passing skills though and I think assists are relatively actually overvalued and overrated. I do think the edge goes to Iggy but it is actally close.

Iggy is the better defender than JJ here and there is no question about it, however I don't think JJ is a stiff on defense though. I have never heard anyone complain or talk about how JJ's defense sucks. JJ is an above average defender so while Iggy does have an advantage here. I don't think it's nearly as big as some people make it as.

As for their rebounding, Iggy is superior again and the numbers do show it. However, I do think that it's not fair to compare their absolute numbers because they play different positions. Joe plays the shooting guard position while Iggy plays the small forward position so obviously Iggy will and should average and get more rebounds than him. Iggy is superior but it isn't by much especially if we compare them pound for pound.

Let me sum this up, Joe Johnson is the much better scorer and shooter while Iggy is better at every other aspect but not as much as you or most people make it out of. I think Joe's superior scoring and shooting advantages make him superior player than Iguodala. I can think of plenty of players who aren't better all-around players than another but better overall players.

Would anyone say Stephen Jackson was better overall player than Kevin Durant back in '09-'10? I mean Jackson was the better all-around player than Pierce was. Jackson was the better passer, better rebounder, and probably a better defender. I can almost guarantee most people would have said Durant was better that season.

Would anyone say Stephen Jackson was better overall player than Paul Pierce back in '09-'10? I mean Jackson was the better all-around player than Pierce was. Jackson was the better passer, better rebounder, and probably a better defender. I can almost guarantee most people would have said Pierce was better that season.

You get the point? I think scoring can make that much of a difference especially when JJ is that much superior than Iggy at that aspect.
    Kevin Durant is a guy who can lead your team to a title. That is the difference. In this comparison Johnsons only advantage is scoring and the 5 extra PPG isn't enough to look over all of Igoudalas other advantages. You are not winning a title with either of these guys as your best players, but Iggy is a much better complimentary player as he brings more overall to the table. If Joe Johnson was a guy capable of averaging 25+ PPG and was more dominant overall, you may have a point. When he isn't scoring he does not impact the game at all . Give me Igoudala over that bum 7 days a week.

And their defense isn't close at all. Igoudala is right up there with Tony Allen as the best perimeter defenders in the league. Best. In. The. League. Yeahhh feels good man. He anchors a top ranked D from the perimeter. It's amazing Philly's D is as good as it is with their ***** bigmen, and Igoudala is a big reason why.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrer Hubbs
    You are not winning a title with either of these guys as your best players, but Iggy is a much better complimentary player as he brings more overall to the table. When he isn't scoring he does not impact the game at all . Give me Igoudala over that bum 7 days a week.
    I think you are really underrating JJ's all-around game. I do think JJ would be a much better 2nd option than Iggy is. JJ is probably the more proven 1st option as well since he was able to get past the 1st round being the 1st round although he couldn't get past the 2nd round. Iggy on the other hand couldn't get the past the 1st round and actually had some trouble even getting to the playoffs as the 1st option.

I think JJ would be a better 2nd option to a Dwight Howard than Andre Iguodala would. I think there are more situations where JJ would thrive and fit in than Iggy would. Iggy has some eye-popping weaknesses in his game while JJ actually doesn't have any, at least eye-popping ones. Can you honestly list some of the weaknesses JJ has and in terms of ability? I can name quite a few for Iggy.

JJ is pretty much good at everything but while he may not be better than Iggy at most of those things, it is still close. I think JJ's scoring superiorities overcome those differences though.

And their defense isn't close at all. Igoudala is right up there with Tony Allen as the best perimeter defenders in the league. Best. In. The. League. Yeahhh feels good man. He anchors a top ranked D from the perimeter. It's amazing Philly's D is as good as it is with their ***** bigmen, and Igoudala is a big reason why.
    I think you're somewhat underrating JJ's D. It's a tier or two below Iggy in terms of perimeter defense since Iggy is a top 3 perimeter defender in the league with Deng and Allen. Still, I don't think JJ is a stiff defensively, I actually think JJ is actually a good defender, good, but not great. I guess that's the difference between JJ and Iggy's defense.

I think the scoring gaps between these two is bigger between than their defensive differences though but that is just my opinon.
    Last edited by StateOfMind12; 02-11-2012 at 05:45 AM.

JJ can win games and take over the 4th quarter... when was the last time Iggy did that?

100% IGGY!!!

He is a glue guy that would make make any contending team into championship winners.

Take him out of Philly and they suck again. I hope Evan Turner moulds himself on Iggy's game, although I doubt he will ever be half the defender Iggy is.

Put Iggy down as a lock for DPOY bar any injury for the rest of the season

Jeremy Lin.

But if I really need to chose between Iggy and Joe I'll pick Iggy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi
    JJ can win games and take over the 4th quarter... when was the last time Iggy did that?
    Indeed, that is the neat thing about a good scorer and a great shooter which is something Iggy isn't much of.

Iggy isn't much of a 2nd option in my opinion more like a 3rd or 4th option while JJ is a 2nd option and would be a tremendous 3rd option. I think everyone here saw how good Joe Johnson was when he was with the Suns in '04-'05 when he was the 3rd-4th option on that team.

I'll take Lin

As for the OP, Iggy by far. I value defense a lot.

National High School Star

When has Iggy carried a team to the playoffs?

right now..? iggy. but if prime JJ is available, i'll take him. easy.