Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: WTF? Perkins?

This could be good because it will allow him to be mobile which was something he had serious problems with. I would worry that his ability to guard centers (which is arguably his greatest and only significant attribute) will be diminished.

Do people honestly think Dwight Howard and Andrew Bogut are all of the sudden going to push Perkins around like a ragdoll? If that was the case, they would both be scoring 50 against every other center in the league.

Perkins is already an excellent low post defender, but his lack of mobility made him a liability almost everywhere else.

This is CLEARLY a positive move in every way that he should have done a long time ago.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Do people honestly think Dwight Howard and Andrew Bogut are all of the sudden going to push Perkins around like a ragdoll? If that was the case, they would both be scoring 50 against every other center in the league.

Perkins is already an excellent low post defender, but his lack of mobility made him a liability almost everywhere else.

This is CLEARLY a positive move in every way that he should have done a long time ago.
    It is probably a good move, but losing weight definitely affects your ability to body up against other big players. Before the knee surgery, amare was able to play at about 15 pounds heavier than he does now, and he definitely got bullied around less. Perk is still one of the bigger guys in the league, and his greater ability to hedge pick and rolls and stuff like that is probably more important than whatever effectiveness he loses in post defense.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    It is probably a good move, but losing weight definitely affects your ability to body up against other big players. Before the knee surgery, amare was able to play at about 15 pounds heavier than he does now, and he definitely got bullied around less. Perk is still one of the bigger guys in the league, and his greater ability to hedge pick and rolls and stuff like that is probably more important than whatever effectiveness he loses in post defense.
    I never thought I'd be commending Amare's defense, but he has had some of the worst big-man defenders around him his entire career...and Mike D'Antoni who cares as much about defense as the pope cares about a naked Jessica Alba.

That said, I'd argue doing this will improve his post defense. Slightly better vertical, slightly more energy...he'll be able to block shots better also.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

I never thought I'd be commending Amare's defense, but he has had some of the worst big-man defenders around him his entire career...and Mike D'Antoni who cares as much about defense as the pope cares about a naked Jessica Alba.

That said, I'd argue doing this will improve his post defense. Slightly better vertical, slightly more energy...he'll be able to block shots better also.
    While I actually agree with him having more energy and being able to move around easier, his main strength was his ability defend the low post with his strength (really his weight) and generally being hard as balls to back down in the post. Him losing 20-30 lbs (or whatever he lost) makes it easier for guys like Howard to back him down thus negating part of his advantage in the low post.

But then again the Thunder love to run so this will probably be good for him in the future, nevertheless good to see Perk still workin hard

Bogut destroys any and all versions of Perkins and Howard has become a better back to the basket player, negating Perkin's "anti Dwight" abilities.

I dont see why some ppl who clearly arent a fan of his play are so mad at Perkins losing weight

Decent college freshman

Well yeah amare is a better defender now than he used to be but that's because he literally didn't have a clue what he was doing the first few years he was in the league. I'm saying that on offense, amare gets bullied around in the paint now sometimes whereas he used to dominate when he was younger.

You might be right with perk's defense improving now that he's slimmer. Maybe now he can guard some of the more agile guys rather than just the bruisers. Brooks didn't even try to put him on dirk that's how slow he was. But who knows if the increase in speed is going to be worth the decrease in bulk. Just gotta see how he plays.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 9erEmpire
    This will not be good for Perkins. His talents is to intimidate, play defense and grab rebounds.

With the weight loss he will lose his strengths.

It's like Kevin Love losing weight....I doubt he will be beasting on the boards.
    This can't be a serious comment..... Kevin Love didn't average 15 boards because of his weight. He did it with perfect positioning, an immaculate nose for the ball, and the pace/style of the Wolves

Learning to shoot layups Gory Lobotomist's Avatar

Who is saying he lost weight? He good of started eating right and leaned out. He has a lot of definition in this pic. It looks more like he leaned out more than he lost actual weight. He may of lost a lot of fat, but that is a good thing if its replaced with muscle. Muscle still weighs more than fat and he looks to be leaner and more muscular.

Banned

I just don't get why guys want to be slim and sexy.

This is basketball, you need strength and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erEmpire
    I just don't get why guys want to be slim and sexy.

This is basketball, you need strength and speed.
    You've contradicted yourself. Fat does not equate to making someone faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    You've contradicted yourself. Fat does not equate to making someone faster.
    Fat definitely does not make one quick nor strong, dude is a retard

Banned

so you emo kids prefer him to be slim and sexy.

instead of losing that weight he should have did some weight training instead of all that cardio.

he has no presence because he's as skinny as Durant.

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Yall are dumber than I thought if you think the weight loss is a bad thing. He looks as strong as ever and he'll be able to keep up with OKC's more fast paced game now. There is absolutely zero negatives to what Perkins has done with himself in the offseason.