Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Would you take prime Karl Malone over Dirk?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Well, I agree with some of this for sure.

However, this version of Dirk couldn't beat prime Duncan and the 06 Spurs. This version of Dirk wouldn't be able to put up 37 and 15 in a road game 7 against a team that good.

Like I said, some things about him are better....some things are worse.

Overall? His impact has been very similar for about 5 or 6 years now.
    Dirk put up 37 points in nearly 50 minutes of game play when you consider it was an over-time game in 2006. He put up 48 points in 40 minutes, and 40 points in 45 minutes earlier in this current post season, so I don't think it's beyond him to put up that amount if he's able to get off at least 15 free throw attempts (because they're like automatic points), regardless of the competition. Dirk was foolishly fouled by Ginobili in that Game 7 and the Spurs in that series, diverting from their regular season style of play, went small and Dirk went off on them. He's probably declined in athletic, agility, wear and tear kind of ways, but no doubt he's improved in other areas. If anything, he's gotten better in the area of "mental toughness", back in 06 and 07 he had some serious collapses at the tail end of his respective runs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    what basis do you have to say this? he just lead this Mavs team past the two time defending champions while putting up a dominant performance. Everything that happened in the series was a direct result of how the Lakers were playing Dirk.

what exactly about Dirk is worst?
    That was against the 06 Spurs dude with prime Tim Duncan. Are you honestly comparing that to any of the teams that the Mavs have played this year.

Its not at all comparable.

What is Dirk worse at? Rebounding hugely. Dirk was a significantly better rebounder back in 06.

Dirk isn't nearly as athletic now.

Dirk can't play as many minutes. Dirk gets tired and loses his legs if he has to go over 40 at times now. In the past, Dirk could go for 45 minutes with ease.

Its just the nature of the game man. As you get older you lose some things.

You didn't watch Dirk in 06 if you think he's much better now. He was clutch back then. He was smart back then. He was very similar in overall impact.

I'm going to have to go with Dirk.

Malone was a great, great PF, but I don't think he would run the pick and roll as effectively with the Mavericks, nor would his inability to step his game up when it mattered have helped this team.

Dirk's passing ability, his shooting from anywhere on the floor, amazing free throw and close out skills are what make him better for THIS series, than Malone would be.

Good High School Starter

That was against the 06 Spurs dude with prime Tim Duncan. Are you honestly comparing that to any of the teams that the Mavs have played this year.

What is Dirk worse at? Rebounding hugely. Dirk was a significantly better rebounder back in 06.

Dirk can't play as many minutes. Dirk gets tired and loses his legs if he has to go over 40 at times now. In the past, Dirk could go for 45 minutes with ease.

You didn't watch Dirk in 06 if you think he's much better now. He was clutch back then. He was smart back then. He was very similar in overall impact.
    he didn't watch dirk in 06? he's been on this board since 06 and saw his team get eliminated by the mavs in 7 games. so lets use some sense here, he atleast saw dirk for 7 games back in 06. you on the other hand................

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    ^

Dirk put up 33/12, 40/5, and 28/14 in three HUGE (one being a close out) road games against POR/LA/OKC...

I believe he's an all-around tougher/better player also.
    In 2003....

Dirk had two huge game 7's in wins.

31 and 11 against the Blazers.

30 and 19 against the Kings.

Dirk's career is full of big games like the ones before. He's always been really clutch. He's always been a big game performer.

People just forget.

I respect your opinion and others, but I really don't think you guys have seen enough games to make the claims you do. Most of what I hear sounds a lot like "media speak"....

Yes, I'm comparing the two time championship Lakers with the 2006 Spurs.

Dirk may be half a step slower, but he is also much stronger and plays better post defense. That combined with the fact that he is a much better leader now combined with my last post is enough for me to conclude that he is a better player.

he didn't watch dirk in 06? he's been on this board since 06 and saw his team get eliminated by the mavs in 7 games. so lets use some sense here, he atleast saw dirk for 7 games back in 06. you on the other hand................
    I have been on here talking about Dirk since the old board. I have watched Dirk's career the same way I have watched every big stars career sans the guys on the Lakers. I obviously watch way more Lakers games. Unlike IndianGuy Id rather watch my team, then watch another team play.

Its not a matter of stats, it is skill set. His skill set now allows him to play from different spots and alter defenses in different ways. The fact that 06 couldnt happen again, is enough to say he is better. He has improved too many facets of his game including leadership.*

*he is no longer kicking over exercise bikes.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 06-08-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
    On the other hand what?

You people act like Dirk is just now doing these things. Its simply not true.

You don't average 26/10/3 for your career in the playoffs and just all of a sudden get better over night.

Dirk has absolutely been playing at this level since the 06 season.

Serious playground baller

Dirk can't fuch with Timmy...

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Yes, I'm comparing the two time championship Lakers with the 2006 Spurs.

Dirk may be half a step slower, but he is also much stronger and plays better post defense. That combined with the fact that he is a much better leader now combined with my last post is enough for me to conclude that he is a better player.
    The 06 Spurs were so much better than the team the Mavs beat in the playoffs this year its a joke.

The difference this year compared to the last 4 years since 06 is that Dirk's supporting cast is better and is playing better.

Dirk has been playing at a very similar level now for 5 years.

Some things are better. Some things are worse.

In 2003....

Dirk had two huge game 7's in wins.

31 and 11 against the Blazers.

30 and 19 against the Kings.

Dirk's career is full of big games like the ones before. He's always been really clutch. He's always been a big game performer.

People just forget.

I respect your opinion and others, but I really don't think you guys have seen enough games to make the claims you do. Most of what I hear sounds a lot like "media speak"....
    You're probably right. I'll admit I haven't watched every Mavs game since he's made a name for himself, but... from the ones that I have seen, and there have been many, the guy just looks more assertive. Using the "eye test", Dirk can withstand physicality better and reads defenses MUCH faster. 48 and 40 points within 4 days? That's getting it done, lol.

The media don't influence my opinions; I just go by what I see. You've seen more Dirk and Mavs games though, so it's not like I'm gonna say you don't know what you're talking about.

Very good NBA starter

imo, it's not hard to notice Dirk has improved in intangible, yet highly important, parts of his game. It's not all about numbers, and it's not an insult. Players gain more experience the more their in the league, and his desperation for a ring is showing too. Dirk has always been a great scorer, but he's become more resilient on offense and more savvy and better at controlling the offense he's a part of. His passing has improved, not just the act of passing but when to pass and when not to. I don't know where he compares to Karl Malone, but I would put him in a tier closer to the Mailman than say Duncan.

No, simply because of the way Dirk is playing in the clutch.

And if it was really my decision, no, because I get a bad vibe from Malone.

Malone lost in the finals twice to a poor mans tony allen

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Either Malone is getting underrated or Dirk is getting overrated. I would take Dirk in the final last 5 minutes of a game, but for the first 43 I'll take Malone all day everyday.

For this current Mavericks team I would take Dirk over him though.

Decent playground baller The Judge's Avatar

Maybe. Malone could get dirty. Something Dirk lacks. Malone would throw 'bows and let his knees accidentally hit your groin. He would get physical and intimdate other teams. Nobody is intimidated by Dirk. That's why his teams are always considered soft. He's a finesse player.

Malone later on could also hit that fadeaway that Dirk can. Not to the same consitency, but it was there.

On the flip-side, Malone didn't have the clutch factor that Dirk does. With the game on the line, Dirk has ICE in his veins.