Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Great college starter

Default Re: Why do peeps act like Heat are more stacked than any other great title team??

The "Shaq years" Mimai team was more stacked than this current one easily

Shaq (the first 2 seasons of him being there was when he still looked like prime Shaq and would get teams into quick foul trouble)

A Walker (still was good)

James Posey (lockdown d and tons of clutch baskets..)

Payton (washed up but better than anyhting the heat have @ PG right now)

Jason Williams (still was good)

Alonzo ( that version of Alonzo would challenge/give current Dwight Howard a run as far as protecting the paint)

Haslem

Wade (obviously)

...mnay teams from 2000-2005 were far stacked. Those Webber's Kings, Dirk's Mavs, Rasheeds's Blazerz etc..Those 3 teams basically had starter quality types on their benches!!

Default Re: Why do peeps act like Heat are more stacked than any other great title team??

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Not from a purely 'talent' perspective. But, Shaq was such a dominating force, he may have made up for the talent disparity. I would definitely favor the 2001 Lakers over this Heat team because Shaq would brutally brutalize them inside...

But, that doesn't mean that the Lakers were 'more stacked.' They just happened to have THE most dominating player of the era at the position where the Heat would have no response.

Yeah i can see that i guess. The thing that bothers me the most is that every team and every player has had the opportunity to do this before Lebron and company they just didnt. So we should fault them for taking the initiative?

Root Of All Evil

Not from a purely 'talent' perspective. But, Shaq was such a dominating force, he may have made up for the talent disparity. I would definitely favor the 2001 Lakers over this Heat team because Shaq would brutally brutalize them inside....
    While that is true ...

Shaq couldn't close. That was strictly Kobe.

The Heat have 2 bonnafide closers in Wade and James.

And even in these playoffs, Bosh has shown he comes up big when it matters.

They are stacked.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobler
    Yeah i can see that i guess. The thing that bothers me the most is that every team and every player has had the opportunity to do this before Lebron and company they just didnt. So we should fault them for taking the initiative?
    A lot of us do fault them, yes.

Every single 'greatest player in the game' during a specific era could have had the 'option' of joining the 'other' best player in the game in their primes... Whether it be taking less money or forming some kind of three-year long pact like these guys did. The other great players just didn't, in the name of competitiveness and carving out your own legacy.

I don't want to get into that whole debate again, because it has been trampled upon over the months, but forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by this group waltzing to a championship with the amount of talent that they have accrued.

It didn't help that this was a really down year for the East, being that the Celtics were a shell of their former selves and Chicago clearly wasn't ready for primetime, but I just don't find this Heat team much fun to watch (which is why I really haven't watched much).

When you have the two best players in the NBA on the same team and an elite PF along with a handful of really good role players, a championship should be absolutely expected...

Especially in today's league where both the rules and league expansion have made it so difficult to form really stacked teams comparable to those of the 70s and 80s.

That is just my take, though...
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-29-2011 at 03:49 AM.

I can see what you mean for sure. Hopefully this just leads to better teams to rival them. Wrecked small market teams tho

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Because Miami is clearly more stacked than other championship teams. They have two top 3 players, a 3rd option who just made his 6th consecutive all-star team and a few good hustle players/defenders and good shooters for role players. How many teams have been stacked like that in the last 10-15 years?
    Individually yes, but you can't judge teams like that.

There are so many teams that had less overall star power but were better teams.

I'd take the 08 Celtics over this Heat team.
    I'd take the 10 Lakers over this Heat team.

Wade and Lebron would be the two best players on those teams, but that is not how teams work.

Success doesn't make them something they aren't.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

DWade's team has 3 HOFers in their PRIME (yes, Bosh will be an HOFer when all is said and done... too many all-star games to ignore and now he will have multiple rings).
    Kareem wasn't in his prime, but he was close.
    I suppose Bird's Celtics had 3 in their prime.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

The other great players just didn't, in the name of competitiveness and carving out your own legacy.
    Has zilch to do with "competitiveness" & "carving" out one's own legacy. They didn't bolt the franchise that drafted them because they were fortunate enough to play on loaded teams from the get-go. None of them rotted for 7 years on a franchise with the likes of Larry Hughes and 'Mo Williams.

MJ's really the lone exception to this. He didn't play with an All Star and a truly great roster around him until his 6th year. The rest of the greats on other hand? All of 'em were part of contenders by their 3rd season. Some from their very first season(Bird/Magic).

but forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by this group waltzing to a championship with the amount of talent that they have accrued.
    Dude, nobody on this board has picked apart Miami's make-up and talent level more than you. You have doubted them all season and have picked the field to win the championship at every step. So nobody's buying your "not overly impressed" talk. We know what's truly bothering you here.

It didn't help that this was a really down year for the East, being that the Celtics were a shell of their former selves and Chicago clearly wasn't ready for primetime
    You sure didn't say this when Miami was going up against Boston and Chicago. You picked both of those teams over Miami.

but I just don't find this Heat team much fun to watch (which is why I really haven't watched much).
    Well, if ratings are any indication, the rest of Ohio certainly disagrees with you. They find Miami fascinating. As does the rest of the world.

When you have the two best players in the NBA on the same team and an elite PF along with a handful of really good role players, a championship should be absolutely expected...
    Gee, why couldn't you say this all year? Yet all I ever heard was LeBron-Wade can't play together, Bosh's soft, the rest of the roster outside the Big 3 sucks, picking Boston in the 2nd round, picking Chicago in the 3rd round and I could keep going. Your current thoughts don't really gel with what you've been saying all year. You're changing your tune now because it KILLS you to see LeBron win and you need an excuse to feel better. That's all.

A lot of us do fault them, yes.

Every single 'greatest player in the game' during a specific era could have had the 'option' of joining the 'other' best player in the game in their primes... Whether it be taking less money or forming some kind of three-year long pact like these guys did. The other great players just didn't, in the name of competitiveness and carving out your own legacy.

I don't want to get into that whole debate again, because it has been trampled upon over the months, but forgive me if I'm not overly impressed by this group waltzing to a championship with the amount of talent that they have accrued.

It didn't help that this was a really down year for the East, being that the Celtics were a shell of their former selves and Chicago clearly wasn't ready for primetime, but I just don't find this Heat team much fun to watch (which is why I really haven't watched much).

Especially in today's league where both the rules and league expansion have made it so difficult to form really stacked teams comparable to those of the 70s and 80s.

That is just my take, though...
    You shouldn't be overly impressed at all. You should feel like most do that this team winning a title with a healthy haslem and miller is nothing special.

Much like most of the titles magic and bird won. Of course they won titles. They had two of the most stacked teams ever.

What you shouldn't do however, is hold this team against the players in any way. 4 of the top ten players spent huge chunks of their careers playing together....Magic/Kareem and Shaq/Kobe......

So lets put the title in perspective. Give them credit if they win, but not the kind of credit that guys like Duncan or Hakeem or Shaq in 00 or Jordan in a few years deserve.

Its hard to quantify, but lebron winning a title this year is worth about half of duncan's ring in 03 for me. something like that.

But I can't ignore any title, because historically the NBA has been ruled by loaded rosters that are even or better than this Heat team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Has zilch to do with "competitiveness" & "carving" out one's own legacy. They didn't bolt the franchise that drafted them because they were fortunate enough to play on loaded teams from the get-go. None of them rotted for 7 years on a franchise with the likes of Larry Hughes and 'Mo Williams.

MJ's really the lone exception to this. He didn't play with an All Star and a truly great roster around him until his 6th year. The rest of the greats on other hand? All of 'em were part of contenders by their 3rd season. Some from their very first season(Bird/Magic).

Dude, nobody on this board has picked apart Miami's make-up and talent level more than you. You have doubted them all season and have picked the field to win the championship at every step. So nobody's buying your "not overly impressed" talk. We know what's truly bothering you here.

You sure didn't say this when Miami was going up against Boston and Chicago. You picked both of those teams over Miami.

Well, if ratings are any indication, the rest of Ohio certainly disagrees with you. They find Miami fascinating. As does the rest of the world.

Gee, why couldn't you say this all year? Yet all I ever heard was LeBron-Wade can't play together, Bosh's soft, the rest of the roster outside the Big 3 sucks, picking Boston in the 2nd round, picking Chicago in the 3rd round and I could keep going. Your current thoughts don't really gel with what you've been saying all year. You're changing your tune now because it KILLS you to see LeBron win and you need an excuse to feel better. That's all.
    This title should be put in proper place historically. Its not up there with the most impressive titles ever or anything, but its not like its worth nothing either.

Everyone doubted this team because its not as good as people are making out to be right now. I doubted them all year. I did not think they could win. However, I didn't expect Miller or Haslem to be factors.

This title should not be any less impressive than any Bird or Magic titles. So the butt-hurt Cavs fans and Lebron/Wade haters need to STFU about trying to pretend like this is the best team ever.

I'm not overly impressed with any of Magic's or Birds' titles. Why would I be. Those guys played with the most help by far in the modern era.....along with Kobe.

So lets all tap the breaks on this notion that its just unfair now.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Shaq couldn't close. That was strictly Kobe.

Really? Strictly Kobe?

So it wasn't Horry and Fisher?

Just Kobe? With all those beastly Finals FG% he put up?

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Because Basketball is about your starting 5. And the Heat have the best SF in the game, the best SG in the game, and a top 5 PF.
    So James Posey didnt play any kind of role for two different title winning teams as a bench player?

Lamar Odom aint really do anything for the Lakers as the sixth man? That really didnt help them much in repeating?

btw, who are the Heat playing in the finals?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    DWade's team has 3 HOFers in their PRIME (yes, Bosh will be an HOFer when all is said and done... too many all-star games to ignore and now he will have multiple rings).
    Kareem wasn't in his prime, but he was close.
    I suppose Bird's Celtics had 3 in their prime.
    You can't break a team down just like that. All-stars? Really?

Not airballing my layups anymore Tez62's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    This title should be put in proper place historically. Its not up there with the most impressive titles ever or anything, but its not like its worth nothing either.

Everyone doubted this team because its not as good as people are making out to be right now. I doubted them all year. I did not think they could win. However, I didn't expect Miller or Haslem to be factors.

This title should not be any less impressive than any Bird or Magic titles. So the butt-hurt Cavs fans and Lebron/Wade haters need to STFU about trying to pretend like this is the best team ever.

I'm not overly impressed with any of Magic's or Birds' titles. Why would I be. Those guys played with the most help by far in the modern era.....along with Kobe.

So lets all tap the breaks on this notion that its just unfair now.
    You have to also factor in the titles when Magic and Bird actually played against eachother...

They played against more stacked teams in general

Quote Originally Posted by Tez62
    You have to also factor in the titles when Magic and Bird actually played against eachother...

They played against more stacked teams in general
    True. And then you'd also have to factor in how much better the actual teams were and how much depth they had.....etc.

And again. Bird won 3. If we are consistent, thats not overly impressive as the RedBlack said. I'm just following his line of thinking and trying to put that same view on other players and teams.

3 titles from Bird on those loaded teams year in year out? Not overly impressive. So if we are going to that stance with Lebron, better take that stance with guys like bird, magic, kareem, and kobe. Because those guys played with just as much help or more for a lot longer than Lebron has.

Which is exactly why titles are over-rated as shit when comparing players. If this year doesn't prove that then I don't know what will. You have Dirk and Lebron in the finals. Two players that have been all time great since 08 but didn't get much help. They finally get help? 12-3 in the playoffs and they are in the finals. Both having all time great playoff runs....especially Dirk.

Team. It is and always will be a team sport. We should acknowledge that or stop comparing player at all.