Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: 25-6' year old jordan versus same age lebron...

Quote Originally Posted by da dream
    Fixed

Yeah ok 2004 is nothing compared to the physical style of defense that was played during the late 1980's and early 1990's.
    2004 was much harder defensively if you look at things like the league defensive rating or FG% because there was hand checking and no illegal defense.

If you look at subjective things like how hard fouls were, then sure, late 80s had the best defenses even though teams scored more often and at better fg%.

Banned

80's and 90's was so physical, does that mean every single player who averaged 20+ points in that era would average around 30+ points today?

I have yet to see a full reply thats informative but remember this is not a 89-93 jordan were talking about, jordan still had quite a few weaknesses at this time, but he was the unquestionable best player period.

Local High School Star

Every year that Jordan has been in the NBA he has been Offensively superior to ANY time in Lebrons career. Defense is hard to say but I would lean towards Jordan.

The only thing that is even worth talking about between these two guys is the assists

im a superhero

Kobe Bryant at 25 (2003-2004) - 24pts / 5.5 boards / 5.1 assists / .438 FG% per game

Lebron James at 25 (2009-2010) - 29.7 pts / 7.3 boards / 8.6 assists / .503 FG% per game

Michael Jordan at 25 (1988-1989) - 32.5 pts / 8 boards / 8 assists / .538 FG% per game

Jordan > Lebron > Kobe at 25.
    lebrons season there is better than jordans. no matter what the stats say. lebrons season there was one of the greatest ever.

Serious playground baller Monkey D Dragon's Avatar

Because when you watch basketball in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's you can see the difference in the style of play. Not everybody on this board is 13 years old.

Fact is I hated Jordan when he played, but I can still recognize that he is one of the GOAT.
    Do i know you? Did I say u were 13? Did I say MJ was not the GOAT?

Moving on...

From what I have seen since 80's and early 90's yes NBA was more Physical then then 2000's but that does not mean the league was much more tougher during this era.

it has been about 30 years since the 80's since then People have gotten stronger and wiser. Only reason the league is not as physical as much is because of David Stern. He start making all these rules and start holding people accountable and start making these young kids Soft.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mananmater
    I have yet to see a full reply thats informative but remember this is not a 89-93 jordan were talking about, jordan still had quite a few weaknesses at this time, but he was the unquestionable best player period.
    (person from 1988)" Magic 5 rings, Bird 3 rings, Jordan 0. Regular season hero, but can't beat Bird in the playoffs. Jordan is a stat whore, not a winner."

You seriously overrate Lebron's physical abilities in your OP. Michael had a better vert, and longer hang time than Lebron. You could say that Lebron is more athletic overall, because of his size/strength, but he hasn't surpassed Jordan in leaping ability, or quickness. Their speed running full court seems pretty similar, Lebron might have the edge. I also wouldn't call Lebron's footwork "amazing".

I don't see a lot of similarities between the two, aside from the fact that they were both great regular season players, that couldn't quite carry their teams to a championship. In terms of stats, Lebron is closer to the Larry Bird of 85-88, than MJ of 88. In terms of play style, he's pretty unique... kind of a combination of Magic, and Dominique, I guess. Wade's playstyle is closer to a young Jordan's, than Lebron's is, imo.

lol inactive let me explain something to you, lebron has very good hangtime, lebron also has a much higher vertical then mj, lebron can jump atleast a foot higher than jordan, excellent quickness, excellent speed, hes faster up and down the court then jordan, jordan has a first step which lebron lost before jordan lost it in his second tenure after short retirement, lebron has lost his first step and explosiveness, which jordan had, but please dont tell me jordan could jump higher then lbj which is just a juvenile statement.

inactive you dont have much chances of beating the case, lebrons playing style is pretty unique, and yes there careers at this point at 26 is very similiar, so try to respond with an answer that makes sense, athleticly lebron is surpreme, its the scoring that puts jordan ahead, dont start telling me jordan is more atheletic than lbj, get your facts strait.

Gotta love those Jordan stans screaming "it's not even close" The most overprotective bunch of the retired player I've ever seen...Space Jam generation tards never cease to dissapoint

Decent college freshman

lol inactive let me explain something to you, lebron has very good hangtime, lebron also has a much higher vertical then mj, lebron can jump atleast a foot higher than jordan, excellent quickness, excellent speed, hes faster up and down the court then jordan, jordan has a first step which lebron lost before jordan lost it in his second tenure after short retirement, lebron has lost his first step and explosiveness, which jordan had, but please dont tell me jordan could jump higher then lbj which is just a juvenile statement.

inactive you dont have much chances of beating the case, lebrons playing style is pretty unique, and yes there careers at this point at 26 is very similiar, so try to respond with an answer that makes sense, athleticly lebron is surpreme, its the scoring that puts jordan ahead, dont start telling me jordan is more atheletic than lbj, get your facts strait.
    are you retarded? Jordan has 48 inch vert, lebron has 43.

Local High School Star

Let me just repeat myself. EVERY Year Jordan has been in the NBA he has been offensively superior than ANY point in Lebrons Career. His defense is better too.

You might want to argue a case for Lebrons extra rebounds and assists, but who cares honestly. Let me see Lebron use his rebounds and assists to beat MJ one on one.
    Last edited by knightfall88; 01-23-2011 at 01:04 AM.

A foot higher? Are you kidding? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmG5m...eature=related vs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N_tp...eature=related. If Lebron was going a foot higher than MJ, he would be damn near touching the top of the backboard. Keep in mind that Lebron is taller, and has longer arms than MJ, so when they're getting to the same point (head at rim level, or ball at the top of the square) MJ is actually jumping higher.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Is English your first language?

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88
    Let me just repeat myself. EVERY Year Jordan has been in the NBA he has been offensively superior than ANY point in Lebrons Career. His defense is better too.

You might want to argue a case for Lebrons extra rebounds and assists, but who cares honestly. Let me see Lebron use his rebounds and assists to beat MJ one on one.
    too bad the game of basketball isn't played 1 on 1....
    Let me see His Airness lead a bunch of useless scrubs of the Cavs caliber to the NBA finals first, before comparing his impact on the court to Lebron

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Jordan. That was the year that they surprised everybody in the playoffs. They beat the Cavs with The Shot, a game winner by Jordan on the last game of the series against the Cavs. They beat the Knicks and they took the Pistons to a six game series. They upseted a few teams that year and overachieved.

Look at Jordan's playoff numbers that year:

34.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 7.6 apg, .510% FG per game.

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88

I would guess that Dwight Howard would destroy a prime MJ 1 on 1, easily. MJ has no way to stop Dwight, Dwight has no way to stop MJ. The difference is that Dwight isn't likely to miss a dunk, but MJ will eventually miss a jumpshot, or have a layup blocked from behind.