Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star nashwade's Avatar

Default Re: Is Stephen Curry the most overrated player ever ?

Quote Originally Posted by NattyPButter
    When 3's are not going in he's useless. So all he does is shoot 3's.
    exactly this...

put Nash on this GSW and they beat OKC easily

Well hes just another Derrick Rose, a MVP winner whose peak was short and fun while lasted.

His handles are wild overrated. I remember when idiots were comparing him to Iverson. I seen him struggling to get past Steven Adams. He does that same behind the back over and over, rarely do you see him break down his man with a crossover from a standstill position and get to the basket.

He's a good but not great passer. Perfect example why you can't just look at flash when evaluating passing ability. Half those passes end up out of bounds but you don't see that in highlights though.

Unlike the other great perimeter players he doesn't impact the game at a high level when his shot isn't falling. He looked like a role player out there tonight. If you're the best player in the league I should not forget that you're on the floor. Especially in a playoff game.

I don't like the way he plays and I never have. I've never been a fan of long distance bombing/chucking (even though it's fun to watch sometimes when they go in), I'm not a fan of shoot first PG's, I don't like how he gets to hide on defense, I don't like how "loose" he plays and I don't like those cocky dances he does after he makes shots.

With that being said he's still a FANTASTIC player no matter what the outcome of the series is. It's just that people need to slow down with their ranking of him. It's disrespectful to the past greats.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    His handles are wild overrated. I remember when idiots were comparing him to Iverson. I seen him struggling to get past Steven Adams. He does that same behind the back over and over, rarely do you see him break down his man with a crossover from a standstill position and get to the basket.

He's a good but not great passer. Perfect example why you can't just look at flash when evaluating passing ability. Half those passes end up out of bounds but you don't see that in highlights though.

Unlike the other great perimeter players he doesn't impact the game at a high level when his shot isn't falling. He looked like a role player out there tonight. If you're the best player in the league I should not forget that you're on the floor. Especially in a playoff game.

I don't like the way he plays and I never have. I've never been a fan of long distance bombing/chucking (even though it's fun to watch sometimes when they go in), I'm not a fan of shoot first PG's, I don't like how he gets to hide on defense, I don't like how "loose" he plays and I don't like those cocky dances he does after he makes shots.

With that being said he's still a FANTASTIC player no matter what the outcome of the series is. It's just that people need to slow down with their ranking of him. It's disrespectful to the past greats.
    This. Also funny how easy it looks to contain him when they actually allow some physicality. Goes to show you that all the people saying he would in no way average 40 if he played in the 80's/90's weren't crazy. There was one possession in particular where Westbrook was defending him in game 2 I think on the wing above the 3-point line, and just being physical with active hands and pestering Curry, and Curry was visibly flustered and couldn't do anything. Yet these cats act like he's gonna have his way against real tenacious defenders like MJ/Pippen in a hypothetical matchup.

Great post. I still think he is the GOAT shooter though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    This. Also funny how easy it looks to contain him when they actually allow some physicality. Goes to show you that all the people saying he would in no way average 40 if he played in the 80's/90's weren't crazy. There was one possession in particular where Westbrook was defending him in game 2 I think on the wing above the 3-point line, and just being physical with active hands and pestering Curry, and Curry was visibly flustered and couldn't do anything. Yet these cats act like he's gonna have his way against real tenacious defenders like MJ/Pippen in a hypothetical matchup.
    Right. Curry would still be great I don't think anybody would seriously debate that but he would definitely have it tougher in a more physical era. He clearly doesn't respond very well to physicality. Throughout the regular season it seemed like teams would just let him do whatever he wanted at times. I don't know how many times I seen him waltz to the rim with nobody even bothering to conteset him. OKC has made that adjustment and it's bothering him.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Great post. I still think he is the GOAT shooter though.
    Without question. And he has great handles, too. But his size and lack of athleticism are really showing up in the post-season.

And then there is his defense...or lack thereof. The Warriors are basically playing 4-on-5 at the defensive end when Glass is in the game.

Curry has to be a 30 ppg scorer on a 650 TS% to be a plus factor.

Banned

Holy cow!

I haven't been on this forum regularly but are people really comparing him to past greats.

Not saying he can't be one since all players can be one but it's way too early. I don't think he is going to get there.

Dray Green is much more overrated

Of course most in here go overboard with their bashing. Curry is having to play mostly against set defenses in half court sets in this series. That's not his game. Him along with GSW thrive in trans or semi-trans. Against almosy any other team, GS has the talent and personnel to dictate the tempo. But with KD/WB controlling the scoring and OKC's bigs controlling the inside, GS hasn't been able to dictate tempo and that has completely affected their offense.

We saw this last year too. Cleveland punishing GS on the inside after the first 3 finals games. Difference between this year and last year is the world is better prepared for their small ball line up.

The old school cats have been saying all along that while Curry is great, he has weaknesses. And we have seen those weaknesses exposed in this series. We weren't hating, we were just telling the truth from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Of course most in here go overboard with their bashing. Curry is having to play mostly against set defenses in half court sets in this series. That's not his game. Him along with GSW thrive in trans or semi-trans. Against almosy any other team, GS has the talent and personnel to dictate the tempo. But with KD/WB controlling the scoring and OKC's bigs controlling the inside, GS hasn't been able to dictate tempo and that has completely affected their offense.

We saw this last year too. Cleveland punishing GS on the inside. Difference between this year and last year is the world is better prepared for their small ball line up.

The old school cats have been saying all along that while Curry is great, he has weaknesses. And we have seen those weaknesses exposed in this series. We weren't hating, we were just telling the truth from experience.

Can't tell these youngbloods shit, bruh. They think any kinda criticism is hate.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Can't tell these youngbloods shit, bruh. They think any kinda criticism is hate.
    At least some of the youngsters learned something from this series in that toughness, physicality and size/length still matter in bball. Bball is so much more than a 3 point shooting contest.

Curry is the greatest shooter and a great overall player, can pass, rebound, defend and score in many different ways often at will.
    Sure, he's not MJ or Kobe offensively, but he's better than someone like LeBron or Wilt in that regard.
    He's definitely not the reason they're behind right now.

Right. Curry would still be great I don't think anybody would seriously debate that but he would definitely have it tougher in a more physical era. He clearly doesn't respond very well to physicality. Throughout the regular season it seemed like teams would just let him do whatever he wanted at times. I don't know how many times I seen him waltz to the rim with nobody even bothering to conteset him. OKC has made that adjustment and it's bothering him.
    That's because of the incredible handles and that great speed of his.
    I think the injury has something to do with his reduced overall speed this post season, he's clearly not as fast as in regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Curry is the greatest shooter and a great overall player, can pass, rebound, defend and score in many different ways often at will.
    Sure, he's not MJ or Kobe offensively, but he's better than someone like LeBron or Wilt in that regard.
    He's definitely not the reason they're behind right now.
    He's their best player, the league MVP and "the man". He has to show up for them to win. That's the burden he carries for being what he is.