Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default Explain to me, rationally, why/how CP3 is the "best PG in the league".

**I am not going to troll or respond rudely to any replies on here.

I will say that of all the (non-trolling) beliefs on this forum, I do not disagree with any of them more than I disagree with the one mentioned in the title of this thread. CP3 is talented on both sides of the floor, and he is an all-star in the league, those are facts...but I have no idea why anyone thinks he is the "best" PG in the league. He has proven time and time again that he is not at that superstar level that would take a team over the hump. If he were the best PG in the league, certainly it would have been enough to get past OKC last season (round 2), or Memphis the year before (round 1) on loaded Clippers teams. But he has never made it to the conference finals.

He is very talented on a technical level, an excellent passer, good shooter, and good on-ball defender. But those skills have never translated into any notable playoff success, and I cannot blame that on his current team (you could in NOLA), and neither should you. I would take Westbrook, Parker, Curry over him easily.

So, I'm going to sit back, read your responses, and respect what you have to say. There are enough people who believe he is the best PG to the point where I feel I am missing something.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Explain to me, rationally, why/how CP3 is the "best PG in the league".

CP3 is a career loser, no better than Melo

Default Re: Explain to me, rationally, why/how CP3 is the "best PG in the league".

Tell me who is better, and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

Name a point guard in the league today that has carried his team over the hump as the clear cut best player.

Oh I see you mentioned a few;

Westbrook - CP3 is a better shooter, better passer, and more composed floor general.

Parker - CP3 is a better shooter, better passer, and better defender.

Curry - CP3 is a better passer, better floor general (A/T), and better defender.

The only point guards that I can see match Chris Paul in scoring, passing, rebounding, defense, shooting, etc... Kyle Lowry and Eric Bledsoe (or is he a SG ?). Neither guy is on Paul's level though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

Westbrook - CP3 is a better shooter, better passer, and more composed floor general.

Curry - CP3 is a better passer, better floor general (A/T), and better defender.
    CP3 is just straight up better than Parker at this point. I dont know why Conner included him.

Westbrook and Curry are at least debatable.

However using the OP's logic Curry has never been past the second round and lost to CP3's team so that goes out the door.

Last is Westbrook, who I believe is right up there with CP3 personally. Westbrook has someone named Kevin Durant, the MVP of the league, but yes let us all attribute the Thunder's success to him individually. (I know KD was scrubbing it up this last postseason)

If you cant see why a team would take CP3 over Westbrook then there is no point in posting the word rational in your thread title.

Not airballing my layups anymore

because only idiots would chose westbrook who made his team worse and parker whos teams Finals MVP is a role player. LOL how old are you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

Well said! The most premium asset in bball is alpha dog level scoring EXCEPT at the PG position. At the PG, the most premium asset is dropping those dimes and being a floor general. CP3 is simply the best in this generation AND one of the top 5-7 PG's of all time in that regard. He's up there with Magic, Big O, Isiah, Stock, Kidd, and Nash in that sense. But CP3 ALSO has alpha dog level scoring abilities too and he's one of the best PG defenders as well. So he's a great passer, great scorer, and a great defender in one. Looking at pass first kind of PG's before him, only Payton and Frazier can really make that claim.

In terms of guys like Parker, Rose, and Westbrook, they are scoring minded PG's who are also great players too. But they think often times more like the great SG's such as Kobe, Wade, and Harden. Score first guys who are also great passers. Nothing wrong with that. But guys similar like an Iverson moved to the SG to play to his dominant scoring. AI would have been an icon at either guard spot, but at SG he plays to the premium asset of that position, which is SCORE THE DAMN BALL! If Chris Paul was 6'6, he would still be a point guard. If Parker, Rose, Westbrook, or Curry (who I do feel is growing leaps and bounds as a floor general) were 6'6, they would be SG's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navy

Name a point guard in the league today that has carried his team over the hump as the clear cut best player.
    Dragic

Banned

He's the most skilled PG but he doesn't put any pressure on the defense nor get to the line when it matters, and thats why he will never be great.

One reason why Paul isn't as dominant scoring through the duration of the game is because he has a beast in Blake Griffin. He also has Jamal Crawford as well too. It's not like the New Orleans days where he just had David West to take the scoring pressure off. With The Clippers, he has more talent to spread the wealth. It's kind of like Isiah during the Bad Boys once Dantley or Aguirre, Vinnie Johnson, and Dumars joined the squad. Isiah was a pass first PG who had scoring ability on par with the best scorers in the world. But he was a quarterback and HE KNEW his main job was to run the team.

It's called dictating the pace of a game and knowing when to pass and when to take over scoring. If u know bball, u SHOULD KNOW that CP3 is an alpha level scorer. But he'a TRUE PG first! Once reason why Westbrook and KD get into it is because Russ is a score first PG. I'm not saying Russ is selfish, he just see the game like an SG who's talented enough to also play PG. Two different but yet awesome PG's!
    Last edited by bizil; 09-08-2014 at 04:01 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    One reason why Paul isn't as dominant scoring through the duration of the game is because he has a beast in Blake Griffin. He also has Jamal Crawford as well too. It's not like the New Orleans days where he just had David West to take the scoring pressure off. With The Clippers, he has more talent to spread the wealth. It's kind of like Isiah during the Bad Boys once Dantley or Aguirre, Vinnie Johnson, and Dumars joined the squad. Isiah was a pass first PG who had scoring ability on par with the best scorers in the world. But he was a quarterback and HE KNEW his main job was to run the team.
    Yeah but in the modern NBA the most important ability by far is that of getting to the basket and getting fouled--something he doesn't do, and a reason why he and his teams always choke; and a reason why a far less skilled player like Tony Parker is far more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    Yeah but in the modern NBA the most important ability by far is that of getting to the basket and getting fouled--something he doesn't do, and a reason why he and his teams always choke; and a reason why a far less skilled player like Tony Parker is far more valuable.
    But still the most premium asset at the PG position is being a floor general and dropping dimes. U seem to be missing that point! Parker, Westbrook, and Rose came into the L as scoring minded PG's. That's WHO THEY ARE! A guy like CP3 can ALSO be a dominant scorer too, but he's a natural pass first PG. Have u watched CP3 in his career? Do u realize the numbers he has put up in his career? I have no problem with somebody thinking Westbrook is a better player that CP3. BUT CP3 is the better PG. It's like Aaron Rodgers or Elway vs. Mike Vick at his best. Vick is the best athlete ever at the QB. But the NUMBER ONE JOB of a QB is to drop dimes and make receivers happy. A guy like Aaron Rodgers or Elway is a great pocket passer first but they are also very athletic and can scramble well for yards. It's the same when comparing CP3 vs. guys like Westbrook and Parker. Two different but yet DOMINANT SKILLSETS.