Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default With the 1st pick of the 2014 nba draft the cavs select?

Discuss :)

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: With the 1st pick of the 2014 nba draft the cavs select?

trade for a good character vet

Embiid if his back is ok, if not then they go for Wiggins.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

embiid

Embiid NEEDS to be the pick because:

SIZE - Better than average size for the position. He would already be one of the biggest C's in the league at 265 lbs. Only 20 years old. He will fill out more. Playing in the 275-285 range is realistic. For a comparison Bynum was playing at 285. He theoretically should be able to check any C in the league one on one.
    He will be a matchup nightmare for most teams. Any cavs fans remember the 09 magic?
    On top of a great frame Embiid has tremendous length. Almost a 9'6'' standing reach? Legit 7 footer?

ATHLETIC ABILITY - Embiid runs the floor like a gazelle. He has hops. He's move's fluidly. Compare his moves around the basket to Tristan Thompson's. I'm a huge TT fan, but you'll very rarely see TT grab an offensive rebound, come down, pivot, turn, and put in in the hoop in one fluid movement. Embiid is no stiff. Great body control.

DEFENSE - His timing for blocks is getting better and better. He needs to toughen up a little under the basket and not over-commit when he helps but those are pretty correctable problems. It's tough to know how well he will fare in his first year without knowing who the Cavs coach is going to be.
    Still, he's a bonafide rim protector and it's been quite some time since the cavs had a shot blocker like him. TT and Andy are good interior defenders, and pairing either with Embiid can make for a very formidable defensive frontcourt.

OFFENSE - I'm sure every single one of us has seen the highlight reels. Unlike Nerlens, we get to be treated with a variety of post moves, soft jump hooks, a little face up shooting, and an ability to put it on the deck and blow by a slower defender. This guy isn't going to take guys off the dribble, but he can use his quickness to get by a slow rotating defender. His offensive versatility at this stage in his development is exciting.
    A lot of bigmen who get in the game early dominate just based on their physical gifts and as a result develop a lot of poor habits on the offensive side of the ball. Joel was seemingly trained from the beginning to NOT rely on his size.

INJURY HISTORY - The big question. Contrary to popular belief, this is not his second stress fracture. Drummond had the same injury his rookie year and missed 30 games. It can potentially be problematic, but it can also potentially be a non issue. Cavs have one the best if not the best training staffs. Bynum did not have one setback in Cleveland and had one very soon after he began working out in Indy. Bynum supposedly had two doctors with him at every training session in Cleveland. Gilbert will spare no expense to ensure that his investment is taken care of.

INTANGIBLES - Son of a colonel, his family seemingly has a penchant for achievement. All reports are that he works very hard, is very COACHABLE, and IMO his advanced skillset for his experience level is highly indicative of a solid work ethic.
    His coach at kansas raved about his bball instincts, as he has been known to grasp more advanced bball concepts very early on.

CONCLUSION - You have a guy that will be a matchup nightmare, that will draw tons of attention, that can draw bigs out of the paint if needed, and plays on both sides of the court.

You must take him.

if you can trade it for kevin love would you guys take it assuming that he would sign an extension ?

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    if you can trade it for kevin love would you guys take it assuming that he would sign an extension ?
    i personally wouldn't, and i totally admit that my opinion may be irrational. I just don't like Kevin Love's game. Timberwolves had some talent around him and they still weren't very good. Did they ever even sniff the playoffs with Love?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    i personally wouldn't, and i totally admit that my opinion may be irrational. I just don't like Kevin Love's game. Timberwolves had some talent around him and they still weren't very good. Did they ever even sniff the playoffs with Love?

ok so its really a long term plan but with how the east is right now anyone can get to the playoffs meaning the 7-8th seed up for grabs. with either wiggins parker or embiid the cavs might get there...

however that would mean that bennett would be your 6th man ... i dont know if that would be a good thing for him .

how would this look like

irving
    waiters
    benett
    thompson
    love

i know its small ball but with love's rebounding prowess that shouldnt be a problem ..and assuming everyone will be healthy its a lock for playoffs

well love has some talent around him but they were injured pek was out for some time kmart was out too rubio as well ... and with how the west is one key player being injured is a sure drop from playoff contention

ok so its really a long term plan but with how the east is right now anyone can get to the playoffs meaning the 7-8th seed up for grabs. with either wiggins parker or embiid the cavs might get there...

however that would mean that bennett would be your 6th man ... i dont know if that would be a good thing for him .

how would this look like

irving
    waiters
    benett
    thompson
    love

i know its small ball but with love's rebounding prowess that shouldnt be a problem ..and assuming everyone will be healthy its a lock for playoffs

well love has some talent around him but they were injured pek was out for some time kmart was out too rubio as well ... and with how the west is one key player being injured is a sure drop from playoff contention
    we are going to have to give up at the very least one of thompson, bennett, waiters to get love, plus pick, etc.

I'm all about our number 1 pick.. and i'm happy with Dion and TT. I'm very pleased with the potential core of:

irving
    waiters
    TT
    Embiid/Wiggins/Parker

if you guys resign loul deng then and draft wiggins or parker then that will hinder their ability to perform ... and with guys like irving and waiters cavs might lean to parker who can shoot it out right. however with zeller being who he is .. i think they will risk on going with embiid.

History made 2016 El Gato Negro's Avatar

Trading for love isn't a realistic option, no chance he resigns here. one of three things will happen, the cavs will draft wiggans or embiid, or they trade the pick to mill/philly for more picks. also no way deng gets resigned griffin wants a knock down shooter at the three.
    Last edited by El Gato Negro; 06-05-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
    Trading for love isn't a realistic option, no chance he resigns here. one of three things will happen, the cavs will draft wiggans or embiid, or they trade the pick to mill/philly for more picks. also no way deng gets resigned griffin wants a knock down shooter at the three.

So you are saying they would pick embiid or wiggins and trade that pick for parker and for what else?

you think the bucks or the sixers wouuld take deng's contract?

History made 2016 El Gato Negro's Avatar

So you are saying they would pick embiid or wiggins and trade that pick for parker and for what else?

you think the bucks or the sixers wouuld take deng's contract?
    Option 1 draft embiid, option 2 draft wiggans, option three trade back with the bucks or 76ers and draft whoever they pass on. deng is a unrestricted free agent not under contract with the cavs and dosnt factor in the situation at all. deng will get big money from some other team or go chase titles somewhere but he won't be in Cleveland next year anyway you look at it.

I personally don't want Kevin Love. Not for what we would have to give up. He is good but not that good. I think with the way the draft is this year, who we get has a higher ceiling than Love. Kevin Love is going to LA next summer anyway.

NBA Finals

Im hearing Embiid is drawing alot of red flags during his workouts. If thats the case id take the SURE PICK Andrew Wiggins and push hard for a post player and/or Lebron James in free agency.

Irving
    Waiters
    Wiggins
    FREE AGENT
    Varejao ??

I havent been keeping up with the Cavs since they arent on tv as much, neither have I been paying too much attention towards the regular season either.

Are there any good post players that will be free agents after this summer?