Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bol'd over

Default The 10 Most Ridiculous Professional Wrestling Gimmicks and Nicknames

I was kicking back last night channel surfing and the WWE was on and I saw Hornswoggle. I haven't watched wrestling for a long time, but he has to be one of the worst gimmicks ever. So I did a search to see what I could find about 'worst gimmicks/characters' and I came across this (I actually remember a few of these guys):

Whether you were a fan of professional wrestling in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s or the new millennium, there’s a good chance you’ve encountered some really ridiculous nicknames and gimmicks. Since the beginning of professional wrestling, stupid gimmicks and nicknames have popped up. I must admit, I was always more fond of the NWA and WCW, so I may be a little slanted. I’m going to group nicknames and gimmicks together, although they are actually different. Let’s start out the countdown with #10.

#10 - Johnny B. Badd:
    Before he was The Wildman, he was a Little Richard impersonator, Johnny B. Badd. It was an unfortunate gimmick for Marc Mero, a guy that could perform really well. The 90’s saw a guy that talked and acted like Little Richard, and shot a confetti cannon on his way to the ring. Despite the incredibly bad gimmick, his skills in the ring were undeniable as he won the TV title three times. Not bad for one of the worst gimmicks ever, huh? It’s too bad good performers have to get saddled with terrible gimmicks. He made the most of it, though.

#9 - Lazer-Tron:
    Too bad. For a guy that could actually wrestle, Hector Guerrero, this was an insult. This pitiful attempt at a gimmick was done in the mid 80’s. The masked man was supposedly a robot. A team from the future, The New Breed was then sent from the year 2002 to destroy Lazer-Tron. Ouch. That really sucks. He was also the original Gobbledy Gooker, but that was too short lived to be considered a true gimmick or nickname. Surprisingly, he had some success with the Lazer-Tron gimmick, capturing the Jr. Heavyweight Title. This was undoubtedly due to his great ring skills, which were truly undeniable.

#8 - Mr. Ass:

Are you kidding me? Billy Gunn, as he was known, went from Bad Ass Billy Gunn to B.A. Billy Gunn, and finally settled on Mr. Ass? Oh how stupid. Too bad, since he was really athletically talented and could perform well in the ring. He had a decent run in the WWE, was a part of DX, and even succeeded in TNA wrestling. He’s done pretty well for himself, but I just cannot get over the nickname. Perhaps the coffin was sealed with a promo where Billy was having a female shave his rear. When she saw a pimple on it, Billy Gunn told her she better not tell anyone, or she would never get to shave his ass again. Ouch.

#7 - The Red Rooster:

Terry Taylor could wrestle. He could wrestle well. Everyone wanted to see him perform in the 80’s. He went to the WWE (then WWF) and adopted the Red Rooster gimmick with his manager Bobby the Brain Heenan. Not only was his hair spiked and colored red down the middle, but he also crowed like a rooster from time to time. In 1988, this nickname was among the dumbest of the era. It was unfortunate, since Terry Taylor was a very good professional wrestler.

#6 - Amish Roadkill:
    Okay, I know ECW had some really dumb characters, but this one had to be the worst of them all. Nobody could have possibly thought that the nickname and gimmick of Amish Roadkill was a great way to go. I'm not sure who exactly came up with it, but it was pretty feeble, in my opinion. To Michael DePoli’s credit, he was able to make the most of it for a full decade.

#5 - Jake “The Milkman” Milliman:
    Okay, I actually rooted for the Milkman back in the 80’s. The AWA was a hotbed for young talent back then, but Jake Milliman didn’t fit the mold. He was short, somewhat chubby, and didn’t appear to have a neck. In addition, he really lacked ring skill. Still, despite the dumb nickname, Jake "The Milkman" Milliman was pretty popular. While the gimmick lasted for two decades, who can really say “The Milkman” is cool?

#4 - Kenny “The Sodbuster” Jay:

Okay, he owned a landscaping business in Minnesota, which has to be where the Sodbuster nickname comes from, but come on...the Sodbuster? Who could possibly think that was cool? The Sodbuster never really accomplished much in the ring, but can still be watched on Classic AWA wrestling on ESPN.

#3 - Bastion Booger
    In the early 80’s he wrestled as Makhan Singh in Calgary’s Stampede Wrestling. You could read all about him Pro Wrestling Illustrated and other magazines of the era. It seemed he was headed for stardom the 80’s came to a close. Well, then came the 90’s. After a two year run with a nickname and gimmick that just missed the top 10, Norman the Lunatic, he became known as Bastion Booger in 1993. The gimmick lasted about 2 years. Thanks a lot, WWE and Vince McMahon. This poor wrestler was also saddled with a “Mad Monk” gimmick and the nickname “Trucker Norm.”

#2 - The Yeti:
    He was a mummy kind of thing. How dumb was that? Ron Reis, known to some as Ron Studd, never really accomplished much in professional wrestling, despite his height and at least mediocre skills for a big man. Coincidentally, he was also “The Giant Ninja” which just narrowly missed the top 10. If done on a cumulative system, The Yeti and The Giant Ninja would battle it out with Bastian Booger and Norman the Lunatic and The Gobbledy Gooker and Lazer-Tron in a triple threat match. How is it that guys get hit with multiple bad gimmicks?

#1 - Doink and Dink the Clowns:
    Are you serious? One character, Doink wasn’t enough, so they had to get a midget to play Dink the Clown? Several people wore the Doink mask of shame, but it was started by Matt Borne. How do you go from being the well respected “Maniac Matt Borne”, to the laughable Doink the clown? Actually, Matt Borne pulled the gimmick off pretty well, but you just can’t get past the fact that he’s a clown. 1992 will live in infamy as the year of Doink. I’m not sure if I can ever forgive the WWE for this one.
    http://www.infobarrel.com/The_10_Mos..._and_Nicknames

Feel free to add your own, I know I'll be adding more to the list.

Local High School Star scott0326's Avatar

Default Re: The 10 Most Ridiculous Professional Wrestling Gimmicks and Nicknames

The Ass.

lolwut

Bol'd over

Default Re: The 10 Most Ridiculous Professional Wrestling Gimmicks and Nicknames

This site has some good ones but rationalises why they were cool anyway with pretty funny write-ups:

We've seen clowns, Man-Taurs, dentists, doctors, barbarians, aliens and all manner of freaks strip down to their tights and throw a cross-body chop or two. But the real genius behind professional wrestling is that despite all odds, every once in awhile one of these batshit crazy gimmicks will catch on. CraveOnline has selected five of our favorites that sounded like a bad idea at first, but turned out to be totally awesome:

[COLOR="Red"]Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Why the Gimmick Was Retarded:[/COLOR]
    If you were a millionaire, possibly even a trillionaire, why in the goddamn hell would you want to mince about in tights, wrestling dudes on television and getting in fights all the time? Wouldn’t you be busy, like, making more money or going on vacation with supermodels or something?
    [COLOR="red"]Why the Gimmick Was Awesome Anyway:[/COLOR]
    Ted DiBiase was like the blueprint for gangster rap. I know that this sounds crazy, but look at it like this: He had an entourage with him at all times. He had a servant that would carry his shit around and take beatings for him without complaint. He wore excessive amounts of jewelry, not the least of which was his “Million Dollar Belt”, which was covered in real gold and diamonds. DiBiase would throw money in people’s faces, stuff it in their mouths, buy people off, make it rain, and generally act like a cocky asshole. And if anybody had a problem with it, he’d ***** slap them and kill that mother****er. Meanwhile, N.W.A.’s “Straight Outta Compton” wouldn’t be released until at least a year after his WWF debut, and Master P was still working in a lousy record store at the time. Ted DiBiase, Million Dollar Man, OG Gangster baby!

[COLOR="red"]The Undertaker[/COLOR]

The Undertaker debuted as some sort of undead zombie wild-west mortician, who derived his power from an urn containing mystical powers or some such horseshit. Early on, it was hinted that he was in some way controlled by this urn and its handler, Paul Bearer, who looked like some kind of Addams Family reject. Pretty much everything about this sounds pretty retarded when you consider that the end result always comes down to two dudes body slamming each other on television.
    Somehow, the whole “undead” gimmick just seems to work on a wholly entertaining level. The way the Undertaker zombie-marches to the ring in a veil of smoke, no-sells his opponents attacks, and rolls his eyes back in his head is just plain fun to watch, no matter how stupid it is. And the fact remains that his actual wrestling abilities honestly appear to be somewhat supernatural. The dude is almost 7 feet tall, but he can walk across the ropes like an acrobat. He can pick up just about anyone like it’s nothing. He’s been wrestling non-stop for decades, and he barely seems to age in the slightest. If you can try and forget the few months that he pretended to be a biker, riding to the stage on a Harley to Limp Bizkit’s “Rollin” (because that’s what bikers listen to, right?) he remains one of the greatest characters in WWF history.

[COLOR="red"]Brutus the Barber Beefcake[/COLOR]

Normally, when you see a guy dressed in tight pink spandex with yellow tassels and feather boas and shit, and he’s from San Francisco, and he’s a hairdresser, what’s your initial impression of him? I’m willing to bet that the first thing to come to mind isn’t “badass professional wrestler”…
    What must have started out as a practical joke being played on Mr. Beefcake by WWF chairman Vince McMahon quickly evolved into one of the most exciting characters ever to set foot in the squared circle. This is because, in the 1980s, what you did to your opponent after you kicked their ass was almost as important as how you kicked their ass in the first place. Brutus the Barber Beefcake was second only to Jake the Snake Roberts and his giant Burmese Python when it came to this. Beefcake was always in possession of a big-ass pair of gardening shears, which not only made a great weapon when the referee wasn’t looking, but also gave his opponents something to remember him by after the match. Back then, just about every wrestler had long, luxurious, permed locks of hair, and it was painful to watch Beefcake clip the shit out of them. He really wasn’t much a barber, after all, but he was a pretty great wrestler for a gay dude.

[COLOR="red"]Honky Tonk Man[/COLOR]

He was an Elvis impersonator. About 30 years after that would’ve been cool.
    When you’re a slightly overweight dude, you could do worse for ring attire than 70’s “Fat Vegas Elvis” sequined jumpsuits. With his crazy clothes and weirdly plastic rockabilly hair, you couldn’t miss the guy. And he must have spent a small fortune on guitars, which he used to smash over other wrestler’s heads nearly every time he fought. I never got tired of him busting someone in the face with that guitar no matter how many times I saw it. My favorite is when it gets stuck around their neck, and they waver around like a goddamn dog with its head in a cone. Someone needs to bring this gimmick back, man.

[COLOR="red"]Mankind[/COLOR]

Basically what you’re looking like is a fat guy with a cheap Hannibal Lecter mask on, pretending to be crazy and talking to a sock puppet.
    Dude turned out to be legitimately crazy. It’s like he felt no pain, even after taking dozens of chair shots to the head, being set on fire, having his tooth knocked out of his mouth and into his nose, tearing his own hair out, and crawling through a pile of tacks. Mick Foley as Mankind pretty much introduced the truly hardcore style of wrestling already popular in the ECW and in Japan to the mainstream. All this and he was pretty funny on the mic, too. He even wrote two NY Times bestselling autobiographies and a handful of popular children's books.. Pretty good for a nutcase/human Muppet that eats his own boogers and shoves dirty socks into people’s mouths.
    http://www.craveonline.com/entertain...gimmicks-76026

Blu Ray

Who was the guy who used to use the pink p*nis shaped squirt-gun?

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Who was the guy who used to use the pink p*nis shaped squirt-gun?
    hmmmm

rick the model martel?

wtf? Jonny B. Bad wasnt bad, neither was doink, or any of the ones posted with the undertaker picture.

These however were

Men on a Mission, Mo and Mable

Goldust

Arn Anderson

Owen Hart

bad vinny mac

shane o mac

sheamus

randy the viper orton

santino

drew mcyntire

dolph ziggler

orlando jones

Dont get it twisted, these guys have gimmicks also.

My Game's Nucking Futs The_Night_Elf's Avatar

Isacc Yankem? Look out he's a dentist!

The task master

Prince Albert

sparky plug

I'm A Ass Man * Billy Gun's Music Plays*

I liked Doink. He was like the Joker.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

The Million Dollar Man = GOAT gimmick.

why live??

Giant Gonzalez , Repo Man and IRS sucked.

When One Man Gang turned into Akeem the African Dream.

Papa Shango, Doink the Clown, Repo Man, The Model...............heck, practically every WWE gimmick from about '86 to '96....

for it's time this wrestler was a complete freak:

Adrian Adaonis

He'd be like the Goldust of the 80's but only freakier

Million Dollar Man was the ish..... "everyone has a price".....hahahahahahaha

GOAT Theme Song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDWPvhiPWg