Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default If Dirk isn't above KG in your all-time list right now....

....what will it take for Dirk to be above him?

I feel like Dirk has already done enough to surpass KG in the all-time rankings. What has KG accomplished that Dirk hasn't besides win a DPOY? There are plenty of players that are above KG in the all-time list that are missing a DPOY too, but it hasn't prevented those players from being above KG and it shouldn't prevent Dirk either.

Maybe a few more all-star caliber seasons from Dirk should be enough at the least. That being said there aren't any All-NBA/All-star appearances advantages on KG's side either.

Dirk

Banned

Default Re: If Dirk isn't above KG in your all-time list right now....

Dirk had Nash alongside him for a nice chunk of time, while KG only had a short time with solid number 2 and 3 options... yet still carried those Timberwolves teams on his back. I think they both have arguments for being ranked "better" over one another but Garnett has my vote.

Complete Player

Are we ignoring the defensive side of the ball now? KG kills Dirk in that department and it's not even about stats or awards. It's about the impact they have on a game. Dirk isn't in KG's stratosphere on that end of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    Dirk had Nash alongside him for a nice chunk of time, while KG only had a short time with solid number 2 and 3 options... yet still carried those Timberwolves teams on his back. I think they both have arguments for being ranked "better" over one another but Garnett has my vote.
    Carried to where?

11 seasons as starter for Wolves, missed the playoff 3 times and passed the 1st round only once.

Local High School Star

I don't think Dirk will surpass KG on the all time list. KG made more impact overall on the court, was a much better rebounder, much better defensive player, good passer, more complete player etc.

When he got good team mates in Minnesota, he took the team pretty far and rightfully won the MVP. When he won his ring with the Celtics, he was arguably the best player on that team and pretty much the biggest reason why the Celtics won their title.

Dirk's very very good. His peak is comparable, he obviously is a better clutch player, offensively is more unstoppable since he's got comfortable advantage in scoring and shooting.

But he has more flaws than KG and before he won a title this year, he was thought as a choker. I think Garnett should be ranked higher on the all time list than Dirk.

For Nowitzki to possibly surpass KG, he'll need to add more to the legacy, win possibly another title but even with that, i wouldn't have him ranked above KG.

Banned

I'm not trying to see what most of you guys think is better between Dirk and KG. I'm trying to see what you guys think Dirk will have to do in the next few years in order to surpass KG.
    Last edited by DaPerceive; 11-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.

You can argue either or. It just depends on what you and their respective team(s) values. You want prolific scoring, respectable rebounding and exceptional clutch play? Take Dirk. If your team needs DPOY caliber defense, great scoring and rebounding, KG is your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Are we ignoring the defensive side of the ball now? KG kills Dirk in that department and it's not even about stats or awards. It's about the impact they have on a game. Dirk isn't in KG's stratosphere on that end of the court.
    Actually Dirk killed Garnett in 2002 playoffs;

Nowitzki in 2002 Playoffs, vs. Wolves;
    33.3 ppg
    15.7 rpg
    0.7 apg
    3.0 spg
    1.3 bpg
    2.0 tpg
    0.526 fg
    0.727 3pt.

0.889 ft
    41.67 efficiency
    0.962 efficiency per min.

You can see the earlier debate about Dirk's monstorus 2002 performance in this thread;
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=234068&page=2
    Last edited by Odinn; 11-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Dirk has already surpassed KG...

NOWITZKI vs BARKLEY, GARNETT & MALONE: http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...tt-malone.html

RANKING THE TOP 100 PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY: http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...a-history.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Carried to where?

11 seasons as starter for Wolves, missed the playoff 3 times and passed the 1st round only once.
    Are you new to the NBA? Ignoring the fact that the Timberwolves were a threat in the west leads me to believe that you are. Simply because they didn't have profound success in the post-season doesn't negate the scare they put in a lot of teams trying to make it out west in the early '00s. Garnett was the primary reason for it and to ignore that is peculiar.

Are you new to the NBA? Ignoring the fact that the Timberwolves were a threat in the west leads me to believe that you are. Simply because they didn't have profound success in the post-season doesn't negate the scare they put in a lot of teams trying to make it out west in the early '00s. Garnett was the primary reason for it and to ignore that is peculiar.
    If Hakeem can get criticised about his 8 first round exit in goat debate, Garnett can get criticised also.

Yes, that Minnesota team made the playoffs thanks to Garnett but that's not enough. If you are talking about an all-time great, there wouldn't be a thing such as "hey thanks to him his team made the playoffs". You can't applaud that.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

He has already surpassed him by winning a ring as the clear cut best player on his team, as well as being the option in the clutch. KG fans will prattle on about how much better KG is in every other aspect except offensively, and how he had crap teams, but Dirk's team success and performance in the playoffs speak for themselves.

KG is to Dirk what prime Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace is to Carmelo Anthony. [COLOR="White"]I kid. But the comparison really isn't as crazy as it seems.[/COLOR]

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Actually Dirk killed Garnett in 2002 playoffs;

Nowitzki in 2002 Playoffs, vs. Wolves;
    33.3 ppg
    15.7 rpg
    0.7 apg
    3.0 spg
    1.3 bpg
    2.0 tpg
    0.526 fg
    0.727 3pt.

0.889 ft
    41.67 efficiency
    0.962 efficiency per min.

You can see the earlier debate about Dirk's monstorus 2002 performance in this thread;
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=234068&page=2
    I don't care about head to head matchups...especially for a single playoff series. You can catch any player on a hot streak or a cold streak in the playoffs. That doesn't discount a player's impact on making his team's defense better overall throughout the season. Regardless of how they match up head to head Dirk isn't in KG's stratosphere when it comes to overall defensive impact whether it's one on one defense or help defense. KG did it much better than Dirk and much more consistently than Dirk. That's all that matters.

Here's the thing:

Minnesota had no real expectations when KG played for them. In the playoffs, they weren't expected to do anything. Outside of KG, the T-Wolves were complete utter sh*t. Prior to '04, they never finished higher than 5th other than 1 season and even in '03, they went up against the Lakers that had Shaq mostly healthy. They were better than their record indicated. It's not a coincedence that once Garnett got 2 decent teammates, they were 2 wins from the Finals.

Dirk on the other hand, had very good supporting casts. Even then, Dallas gave away games and even series multiple times. They were contenders at least a few times and failed regularly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Here's the thing:

Minnesota had no real expectations when KG played for them. In the playoffs, they weren't expected to do anything. Outside of KG, the T-Wolves were complete utter sh*t. Prior to '04, they never finished higher than 5th other than 1 season and even in '03, they went up against the Lakers that had Shaq mostly healthy. They were better than their record indicated. It's not a coincedence that once Garnett got 2 decent teammates, they were 2 wins from the Finals.

Dirk on the other hand, had very good supporting casts. Even then, Dallas gave away games and even series multiple times. They were contenders at least a few times and failed regularly.
    This.