Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: How do 6'8-6'11" dudes move like guards?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I'm talking more about the indoor volleyball players. And I didn't say they were as athletic as LeBron. My point was that, for their size, they were very athletic.
    They are indeed but that's not no where near out of the norm like lebron or stout they do have some goat reactions and are athletic like any athlete should at their size but overall what I saw was average leaping like any volleyball player and their size made it look better and average speed in a small radius nothing more. So razors starement remaiins true except it should be a higher number but the class he is talking about do not include these volleyball players were trying to be more specific and near those 2 nut just athletic tall players.

[COLOR="White"]and big sausages[/COLOR]

Local High School Star

If I were 6'9 right now, I'd be in the NBA. Unfortunately, I'm not 6'9.

I have the skills but not the height for things to work out right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09

I KNOW RIGHT?!

If I was like 6'7+ I could at least try, give it my best. But I am 6..... and I don't play pg. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    partly genetics, partly playing from an early age....learning guard types skills while you're still at a relatively normal height

but nba guys are pretty nuts. most people over 7ft tall have trouble walking. don't know how they play 80+ games a year without falling apart
    Exactly what i'm gone say.
    They learn to train their guard skills when they were younger.
    And yeah,most people who is > 6'9 has a bit awkward walking form.
    Hell did anyone saw how Shaq walk in his celtic days? His walking form is awful as hell, looked like somebody who broke his leg but still running to finish a marathon race.
    I kid u not

Banned

Implying those skills remain the same when your such a height

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T-Time3
    Exactly what i'm gone say.
    They learn to train their guard skills when they were younger.
    And yeah,most people who is > 6'9 has a bit awkward walking form.
    Hell did anyone saw how Shaq walk in his celtic days? His walking form is awful as hell, looked like somebody who broke his leg but still running to finish a marathon race.
    I kid u not
    LeBron got lucky. He lived in Akron (not much to do poor ass place) and had a crack head of a mom and no dad. Dude pretty much had all time to himself and play bball by himself and level his skills

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I can't remember where I read it, but a study showed that there are around 70 male US citizens between 18-40 that were 7'+. Just in the US obviously, but there's only 30 NBA starting 5 jobs. And there's, apparently, only 70 people in the entire country that bring a non-negotiable positive (size) to the position.

I wish I was tall is what I'm saying.

Decent playground baller

Training in different sports form an early age, football is great for footwork Olayuwon was the goalkeeper for ex., he said that was the reason he was quick on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickingStar
    They are indeed but that's not no where near out of the norm like lebron or stout they do have some goat reactions and are athletic like any athlete should at their size but overall what I saw was average leaping like any volleyball player and their size made it look better and average speed in a small radius nothing more. So razors starement remaiins true except it should be a higher number but the class he is talking about do not include these volleyball players were trying to be more specific and near those 2 nut just athletic tall players.

[COLOR="White"]and big sausages[/COLOR]
    Compared to the rest of the general population of the world yes, those volleyball players are freakishly athletic for their size. And some of the best and most athletic were at least in the neighborhood athletically as some of the 6'6"+ dudes in the NBA. I'm not saying they're as athletic as LeBron who is arguably the most athletic human on the planet right now. But, compared to your average 6'6"+ person, those volleyball players are freak athletes.

There's a 7'2" dude on the Russian volleyball team that was very agile, quick, and had very good leaping ability for a guy his size. Chase Budinger was a great volleyball player, and I'm guessing you'd think he's a freak athlete. Well, there were more than just one or two Olympic volleyball players similar to Budinger in height and athleticism.

Yeah, if only it worked like that. I grew from about 5'8" to 6'5" between my sophomore and senior years of high school. I kept some of my guard skills like perimeter shooting and a slightly above average handle, but I had to work my ass of to at least regain some of my coordination and never got all of my quickness and agility back.

Not everyone (and by not everyone I mean hardly no one) can be like Anthony Davis and go from 6'3"-6'4" to 6'10" in a matter of a couple of years and maintain that much coordination and agility to still be hands down the most dominant basketball player in the nation and undisputed #1 pick.

I went from a 5'4 PG as a freshman to a 5'8 post as a senior. THAT is a growth spurt my friends. Dominated class 2A Indiana HS hoops! OK, there's some overstatements there. But 5'10 Cs were common. Footwork son!

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

i guess it is about conditioning and genetics. However playing sports at an early age clearly helps your overall movement later.

Regarding volleyball then these guys(6'8 - 6'11) jump much higher than basketball players but then again they are not required to have the weight and the strength

the volleyball dudes are also usually jumping from a stationary base a lot of the time, from what I could tell anyway in the Olympics, not about to pretend to know anything about the sport. not that they aren't astounding athletes, but having a good 3-5 seconds or so to watch a play set up and get yourself in position to just spring up like a pogo stick is a lot different than trying to read ball movement while defending a man singularly.

i have a TON of respect for the athleticism of volleyball players, but it just seems like pretty must just a nice vertical is all it takes in terms of athleticism. that could be completely wrong, if so feel free to call me out, but to my untrained eye that's what it seemed like.

Steroids and other stuff. They are "banned" but I am sure most of the superstars in NBA use it or used them. This is allowed because the higher people want NBA to be more entertaining. More entertainment means more money.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    the volleyball dudes are also usually jumping from a stationary base a lot of the time, from what I could tell anyway in the Olympics, not about to pretend to know anything about the sport. not that they aren't astounding athletes, but having a good 3-5 seconds or so to watch a play set up and get yourself in position to just spring up like a pogo stick is a lot different than trying to read ball movement while defending a man singularly.

i have a TON of respect for the athleticism of volleyball players, but it just seems like pretty must just a nice vertical is all it takes in terms of athleticism. that could be completely wrong, if so feel free to call me out, but to my untrained eye that's what it seemed like.
    Jumping ability is the biggest part of it but, even then, those guys have NBA level verts. Where they would probably be lacking compared to the above average NBA athlete is quickness and agility. But after I watched a few matches, and heard them mention how tall a lot of the guys were, I realized that for being in the 6'6"-6'11" range, most of them moved surprisingly well for a person their size. Yes, it was in a more confined space, but they have quick reflexes. I mean you have to in order to time a jump in an attempt to block a spike and especially to react and even get a hand or arm on a spike coming down at you lord knows how fast.

Like I said, Chase Budinger was a phenomenal volleyball player in college and I think most would consider him an above average NBA athlete at the very least. Who knows, maybe he was the most athletic volleyball player in the country but, I'm willing to bet that a lot of those guys in the Olympics were pretty similar to Budinger in athletic ability.