Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Should the NBA change the rules and let High School players enter the Draft?

I think they should.

Default Re: Should the NBA change the rules and let High School players enter the Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    I think they should.
    Just what the league needs, more overpayed children

Default Re: Should the NBA change the rules and let High School players enter the Draft?

Absolutely they should. If they are good enough to play, then let them play.

Why should a player have to go elsewhere to play for a year before they can play in the NBA?

What good is that going to do?

I think they should.
    I think you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Absolutely they should. If they are good enough to play, then let them play.

Why should a player have to go elsewhere to play for a year before they can play in the NBA?

What good is that going to do?
    I know, they should play at least 3.

Maybe it would make them develop some skills before they go into the NBA...Rather than being immature flops.

There has been no really good, mature high school right out of the gun. Kobe sucked the first few years, and LeBron is immature. You think he wouldn't be more mature (maybe) if he went to college? Also: You think that players might learn to talk if they went to college (aka John Wall...I don't think anything could help his understanding of English).

Yes, but they should allow teams to retain players rights without signing them. Just like the NHL which does it right.

So IOW all these kids that suck in the NBA for a few years would actually stay in college till the pro team wanted them. And the rare Lebron type would probably come in right away.

Example. OKC drafts Westbrook but tells him they want him to stay in school at least one more year to learn PG there as opposed to on the fly in the NBA. Rose the Bulls might have asked for one more year.

It's so obvious they should do this that they never will.

In lieu of this I'd prefer a 3 year rule over what it is now. Now is crap.
    Last edited by liquidrage; 08-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.

I rule the local playground

yes!!! they need more Kwame Browns

Problem is they're getting paid insane amounts to learn how to play at a strong competitive level, then after a few years become worth their actual contract...

there are exceptions of course
    Last edited by alleykat; 08-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Enter the draft or if you go to college, you have to stay 2 years (so we stop watering down the college game, which is what the 1 and done rule achieved).

That way the elite and the people who don't want to deal with college can go straight away and test their luck. Those who go to college will likely be 2 or even 1 year away from a degree if they leave early, colleges can stop abusing the academic side of the system with 1 and done players, and players stay long enough to mature the physical and mental sides of their game.

Hopefully the NBA teams would choose wisely when it comes with high school prospects. But of course we know that won't happen.

I think they should.
    Compelling argument.

They need to mimic the NFL model and increase it so these kids can get educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Math2

Maybe it would make them develop some skills before they go into the NBA...Rather than being immature flops.

There has been no really good, mature high school right out of the gun. Kobe sucked the first few years, and LeBron is immature. You think he wouldn't be more mature (maybe) if he went to college? Also: You think that players might learn to talk if they went to college (aka John Wall...I don't think anything could help his understanding of English).
    Why should an athlete be required to play sports for a school in order to make it his profession?

Colleges are schools. Playing sports for a college is supposed to be an extra-curricular activity.

The only reason players play basketball in college is because there isn't a better alternative. There are no other basketball leagues. Playing for a school gives them the best chance to get drafted.

Colleges have no right to players.

And if a team is willing to pick somebody up out of high school, then that is their business. If a team thinks they won't develop skills or will be immature flops, then they wouldn't pick them up in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidrage
    Yes, but they should allow teams to retain players rights without signing them. Just like the NHL which does it right.

So IOW all these kids that suck in the NBA for a few years would actually stay in college till the pro team wanted them. And the rare Lebron type would probably come in right away.

Example. OKC drafts Westbrook but tells him they want him to stay in school at least one more year to learn PG there as opposed to on the fly in the NBA. Rose the Bulls might have asked for one more year.

It's so obvious they should do this that they never will.

In lieu of this I'd prefer a 3 year rule over what it is now. Now is crap.
    That's not even possible. Once you declare for the draft and sign with an agent you cannot play NCAA ball again.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Math2

LeBron 20.9/5.9/5.5 and his team chose to play him 39.5 minutes a game. He got rookie of the year. But clearly he was useless.
    Moses Malone 18.8/14.6 played 38.6 minutes a game.

But clearly you're right no player has been good straight out of high school. And I'd be curious as to how you know whether a player is mature, do you spend time with them? Finally if as you imply with Wall, many players are lost causes why on earth would you waste years in which they are near the peak of their athleticism trying to educate them?

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Enter the draft or if you go to college, you have to stay 2 years (so we stop watering down the college game, which is what the 1 and done rule achieved).

That way the elite and the people who don't want to deal with college can go straight away and test their luck. Those who go to college will likely be 2 or even 1 year away from a degree if they leave early, colleges can stop abusing the academic side of the system with 1 and done players, and players stay long enough to mature the physical and mental sides of their game.

Hopefully the NBA teams would choose wisely when it comes with high school prospects. But of course we know that won't happen.
    What is the deal with people not wanting to "water down the college game"?

Colleges have no rights to players. College teams are made up of college students. You are trying to treat it like a professional league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Compelling argument.

They need to mimic the NFL model and increase it so these kids can get educated.
    As if athletes go to school for the education.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    As if athletes go to school for the education.
    That's what I'm saying, they NEED it. There are too many dumbasses in the league.