Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Trade Melo ideas

I've long been vocal about the pick and Melo not logically co-existing. Not only did the Knicks use the pick to choose the biggest project (albeit with the biggest upside), but they also chose an established player for a rookie. Melo should be gone.

In all of the trades below, the team receiving Melo would instantly be a favorite for the title, or at least strong contenders, so I won't be listing their reasons.

Wizards:
    Melo for
    Otto, Nene, Oubre, 2018 first

Knicks get two young players and a future first. Nene's contract is off the books after this summer... just in time for the cap increase.

Charlotte (ok, not a contender, but they have to do something):
    Melo for
    Marvin, MKG, Lamb, Zeller, Hairston

Knicks get 4 young players, all of whom were highly thought of at one point. Zeller and Lamb have shown flashes when they got time. MKG is one of the best wing defenders in the league. Hairston was a highly regarded player out of college. All 4 have the potential to be starters in this league.

New Orleans:
    Melo for
    Tyreke Evans, Ryan Anderson, 2016, 2018 protected first round picks

Evans is a star, if given the opportunity. Ryan Anderson is a great pro, and a great role model for Porzingis. The picks don't really need to be protected, as NO should be in the playoffs every year, so if NO is stupid enough to not protect them, all the better.

Phoenix:
    Melo for
    Bledsoe, Markieff Morris, 2018 PHX and 2018 MIA picks.

My thinking with the picks is that having two picks in the same year is more valuable than having, say, PHX 2016 and 2018 MIA. But considering age of Heat players, that MIA pick could be legit, as it's only protected for top 7. With Bledsoe, you're banking on him being pretty healthy, as his contract is just as long as Melo's. But he's younger, and he is nasty when healthy. Markieff is the twin that shoots less 3s and bangs inside more.

Portland:
    Melo for
    Leonard, McCollum, Kaman, 2018, 2020 first round picks

McCollum is a sharp-shooter, Leonard is an offensively talented big. Probably the worst of the proposed trades.

Sacramento (assuming they keep cousins):
    Melo for
    Gay, McLemore, two firsts.

Pick is tricky. Bulls have a protected 2016 pick that rolls to 2017 if not conveyed. So, because teams can't trade consecutive firsts, Knicks would need either '18/'20 or '19/'21.
    But McLemore is a solid young player with a high ceiling, Gay is a younger (and worse) Melo, but he also has a smaller and shorter deal.

Utah (Gobert, Melo, Hayward, Burke could do some serious damage in a year or two):
    Melo for
    Favors, Exum, Booker, all 4 2016 second round picks that Utah owns.

Exum and Favors are good young players with tons of potential. Booker never stops hustling, and is just one of those guys that stands out on a good team, but never gets recognition on a bad team (aka: he's more useful than people think).

My favorite deal is the Phoenix deal, because NYK gets a legit, current star back, plus picks that should be good.
    That's followed by Charlotte and Utah, tied for second. Charlotte and Utah are also two of the least likely to happen, though, as neither team is a true contender with the deal. But Utah could believe they would be, with more growth from Gobert and Hayward having pressure taken off.
    Memphis would be a perfect destination in terms of fit, but they have no assets. Any deal would have to be centered around S&T Gasol (why bother, he's better than Melo), or ZBo and Jeff Green (ew).

Default Re: Trade Melo ideas

So start building around Carmelo w players that compliment his game. First time a team has ever tried it- and then you want to trade him?

Carmelo has a lot of good years left

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    So start building around Carmelo w players that compliment his game. First time a team has ever tried it- and then you want to trade him?

Carmelo has a lot of good years left
    I disagree. But that's the kicker. If you think Carmelo will still be dominant when Porzingis becomes a star, then keep Melo, by all means. But I don't. I don't think many rational fans do, but I could be mistaken.

Does seriously thinking it's realistic to trade Carmelo in any of these deals make you a rational fan? I guess I'm not if it does. No trade clause and you aren't coming up w cities/situations/groups of players that could make him interested in going.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Does seriously thinking it's realistic to trade Carmelo in any of these deals make you a rational fan? I guess I'm not if it does. No trade clause and you aren't coming up w cities/situations/groups of players that could make him interested in going.
    All the situations present Melo with a much better chance at winning than NY does.

Phoenix has a great coach, a good still-improving PG, has all the role players you could want, and cap room to spare.

Utah has an emerging Gobert, Hayward as a pretty great player, and Burke a solid PG, and again with cap room to spare.

Sacramento would have Cousins and Melo. Two top 10 players. Even without more, that's a nasty core. They may not be a perfect fit, but neither are Westbrook and Durant, and they're championship favorites when healthy.

Charlotte would have Kemba, Melo, Al on offense. Batum to do a little of everything. Hawes as a stretch 4. Kaminsky as a realy good big off the bench for a playoff team. On paper, that team just needs a defensive big and they'd make some serious noise.

Portland with Lillard (emerging superstar), Afflalo, Melo and some young guys up front that could be good.

All of those are noticeably better, for winning soon, than NY. If Melo wants to be part of a rebuild, then so be it. But if I were him, I wouldn't.

all your trades end up with us taking back garbage which have to fit in the triangle...i dont give a shit about melos happiness, its about the knicks and making this team better...if melos unhappy, get him a lolipop for all i care.

only trade id consider is to the lakers..melo for russel, randle clarkson and a future first

fyi, looking forward to next year free agency without melo is equivalent to shooting yourself in the head, hell we have melo this year and no one is remotely interested

I appreciate the hard work here... but right now I'm a little too fuzzy to wrap my head around it. I was appalled at the pick last night, but over the last few hours it's becoming clearer that this kid might be pretty damn good if he stays healthy. It also popped in my head that maybe Jax is playing his hand at getting Melo to consider being traded. Still so much more to be done. I'll get back to this post over the weekend.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    all your trades end up with us taking back garbage which have to fit in the triangle...i dont give a shit about melos happiness, its about the knicks and making this team better...if melos unhappy, get him a lolipop for all i care.
    I cosign this....

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    It also popped in my head that maybe Jax is playing his hand at getting Melo to consider being traded. Still so much more to be done.
    I dont understand the purpose of resigning him just to use him as bait to trade him. It's an interesting thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    I cosign this....

I dont understand the purpose of resigning him just to use him as bait to trade him. It's an interesting thought though.
    TBH, it would astound me as well. But who knows what's next in this loopy organization. One minute I think Jax is whipping up a master plan; the next he's flying by the seat of his pants. Drama by the bucket.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

If we can get a blockbuster deal in return pull the trigger. Lets be honest we aren't going to win with Melo and by the time we do(if) have the pieces Melo will probably be heading on the downside of his career.

I do find it absurd how people are bashing the pick. Like picking Justice Winslow or Mudigay is gonna make us instant contenders Yea, Kristaps is unproven and raw but so is everyone else in this draft and that's the part fans don't understand. You want to pick a player playing in China instead? Pick WCS who hasn't really been that dominant in college for the past 3 years? Even Towns is considered to be raw.

We always go for the quick fix and it's been like that the past 15 years.. Trading picks for guys like Curry, Francis, Marbury, Randolph, etc, that the team had no plans for and acquired because they were household names. Bizarre thing is people want the same again.. We can't ruin the rebuilding project just to attempt to "contend" for the playoffs when in reality we'll probably be fighting for the 8th seed and get swept in the first round like always. Is that the contention NY Knick fans want? And after that we'll be back to square one because we used our cap on veterans, traded picks, etc, and those guys will then be old and washed up. It all goes in full circle.

TLDR; trust the process because no matter what moves are made the Knicks aren't going to contend in the next 1-2 years. Might as well build for the future BUT TO ****ING BAD WE DON"T HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR BECAUSE WE TRADED PICKS TO "CONTEND"

I'm done with these so called fans. If it was up to them they'd have a roster full of JR Smith type of players
    Last edited by knickballer; 06-27-2015 at 10:39 AM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    If we can get a blockbuster deal in return pull the trigger. Lets be honest we aren't going to win with Melo and by the time we do(if) have the pieces Melo will probably be heading on the downside of his career.

I do find it absurd how people are bashing the pick. Like picking Justice Winslow or Mudigay is gonna make us instant contenders Yea, Kristaps is unproven and raw but so is everyone else in this draft and that's the part fans don't understand. You want to pick a player playing in China instead? Pick WCS who hasn't really been that dominant in college for the past 3 years? Even Towns is considered to be raw.

We always go for the quick fix and it's been like that the past 15 years.. Trading picks for guys like Curry, Francis, Marbury, Randolph, etc, that the team had no plans for and acquired because they were household names. Bizarre thing is people want the same again.. We can't ruin the rebuilding project just to attempt to "contend" for the playoffs when in reality we'll probably be fighting for the 8th seed and get swept in the first round like always. Is that the contention NY Knick fans want? And after that we'll be back to square one because we used our cap on veterans, traded picks, etc, and those guys will then be old and washed up. It all goes in full circle.

TLDR; trust the process because no matter what moves are made the Knicks aren't going to contend in the next 1-2 years. Might as well build for the future BUT TO ****ING BAD WE DON"T HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR BECAUSE WE TRADED PICKS TO "CONTEND"

I'm done with these so called fans. If it was up to them they'd have a roster full of JR Smith type of players
    Agreed, I was a big Mudiay homer in the beginning of the spring/summer but I realize there really isn't "sure things" this year like they have been in the last 5 years. Anthony Davis for example I knew would be an absolute beast bar any injuries. I knew Wiggins would be at least a 15 ppg+ scorer in his early years and maybe even better down the line, he had legitimate All Star potential even if he doesn't live up to his hype.

Yeah the traded picks to "contend" really screwed us over although I'm not entirely sure if next year's draft is even a strong one.

For the record, I never liked JR Smith especially after that 2012 Celtics series. He was never near the same level of play for years after.

Really liked Shump as a rookie but he has arguably gotten worse every year after.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

I don't get how trading the best player we've had since Pat Ewing is going to make us better. Trading Melo isn't going to make us have a good GM all of a sudden. I just don't get why Knicks fans can't wrap their heads around the fact that we've had piss poor management since the Ewing years. Get a good PG and keep him long term. How about trying that for once? Last time I checked this was the same franchise that ran Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland and Stephon Marbury out of town but adored Charlie Ward, Pablo Prigioni and Jeremy Lin. But yea...our fan base is so intelligent

This idea that you have to rid yourselves of your best player and completely suck to be good is confusing to me. We had cap space. We simply could not acquire players.
    Last edited by franchize; 08-24-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I don't get how trading the best player we've had since Pat Ewing is going to make us better. Trading Melo isn't going to make us have a good GM all of a sudden. I just don't get why Knicks fans can't wrap their heads around the fact that we've had piss poor management since the Ewing years. Get a good PG and keep him long term. How about trying that for once? Last time I checked this was the same franchise that ran Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland and Stephon Marbury out of town but adored Charlie Ward, Pablo Prigioni and Jeremy Lin. But yea...our fan base is so intelligent

This idea that you have to rid yourselves of your best player and completely suck to be good is confusing to me. We had cap space. We simply could not acquire players.
    How do you not understand that it's a lock to sign Durant next year? Plus you could just trade Carmelo to whatever shithole you want and he will waive that no trade clause out of love for knick fans.

Plus Aaron afflalo will opt out and someone will give an expirer plus picks for Calderon. Then you get horford or someone like that. Bright future.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I'm for the idea of trading Carmelo Anthony. Not because it makes the Knicks immediately better, but because it doesn't waste Anthony's time while keeping the Knicks mediocre.

The one thing I will say Phil Jackson did very well last year was that he made sure the Knicks were flat out bad instead of mediocre. This year though, the club is mediocre. They aren't good enough to be a playoff team but they aren't bad enough that they will likely land the top pick.

Trading Anthony would be an asset collection move. Picks or prospects is what they need.

[QUOTE=el gringos]How do you not understand that it's a lock to sign Durant next year?

What? Oh, that's right... he'll be great with Bargnani.