Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman tian820's Avatar

Default Re: The Dark Knight spoiler thread(only for those who have seen the movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    it was prob. going to be The Joker getting out somehow and continuing the war. Didn't you hear him at the end. He said he would never kill batman because he has to much fun and all that stuff.
    Yeah, I saw that in a trailer too (beforehand and during the film), but honestly I think they need to introduce someone new for the next film and then bring back the Joker if they want to keep it going for another after that. It would be interesting to see how they replace Heath Ledger (RIP, what a way to go though... ), but I think they need to step in a different direction 1st. It would be way more difficult to follow a movie like this with another one with similar characters.

Default Re: The Dark Knight spoiler thread(only for those who have seen the movie)

Quote Originally Posted by hito da god
    What do you guys think of the political undertones throughout the movie?

"We won't give into these terrorist demands"

When batman set up the cell phone network and argued with morgan freeman that it was necessary for protecting the city, morgan asked him "at what cost?" which I thought was a clear reference to the patriot act.

There were others but I'm still letting it all sink in, I definitely have to see this movie again.
    I thought this was one of the best post 9/11 movies I've seen in terms of creating an atmosphere of panic and paranoia. The political undertones were def. there especially in the moral dilemmas regarding how far one should go to protect order.

I also thought the scene on the ferry with the prisoner(Deebo!!!!) was one of the most powerful scenes in the film. What Nolan does is brilliant. He knows that the average audience member is looking at this huge and menacing black guy and thinking that he's gonna detonate the bomb. By having him throw the detonator away he makes us question our own judgments and sense of morality. Scenes like that are what makes this much more than a comic book movie.

Quote Originally Posted by blasian
    I thought this was one of the best post 9/11 movies I've seen in terms of creating an atmosphere of panic and paranoia. The political undertones were def. there especially in the moral dilemmas regarding how far one should go to protect order.
    It just touched on so many different areas and never got into anything to the extent that took away from the film as a whole.. I gotta watch it again (probably sometime this next week) and take it in better though

Lets GO PENS!

I also thought the scene on the ferry with the prisoner(Deebo!!!!) was one of the most powerful scenes in the film. What Nolan does is brilliant. He knows that the average audience member is looking at this huge and menacing black guy and thinking that he's gonna detonate the bomb. By having him throw the detonator away he makes us question our own judgments and sense of morality. Scenes like that are what makes this much more than a comic book movie.
    my friend called it as soon as he said let me have it.

Serious playground baller A Loyal NJ Fan's Avatar

Harvey Dent as GC knew him is dead, Two-Face is still alive.

Can someone explain a couple things to me, though? Like how Batman set that sonar cell-phone thing up? And what happened with the money the Joker stole in the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by A Loyal NJ Fan
    Harvey Dent as GC knew him is dead, Two-Face is still alive.

Can someone explain a couple things to me, though? Like how Batman set that sonar cell-phone thing up? And what happened with the money the Joker stole in the beginning?
    Morgan Freeman's character (Lucius Fox) set up the sonar, Bruce Wayne/Batman just made the screens with that technology and like Fox said, transformed it into something much more. The money got burned, remember that scene?

Quote Originally Posted by tian820
    The money got burned, remember that scene?
    That was another one of my favorite scenes. I just love how the Joker isnt motivated by money. He's just completely insane and wants to create total chaos for the hell of it. Probably the best on screen villain since Hannibal Lector.

Morgan Freeman's character (Lucius Fox) set up the sonar, Bruce Wayne/Batman just made the screens with that technology and like Fox said, transformed it into something much more. The money got burned, remember that scene?
    That wasn't the Joker's money, was it? Wasn't it the mob's money? Why would he go to the mob asking for half of his own money back?

Quote Originally Posted by A Loyal NJ Fan
    That wasn't the Joker's money, was it? Wasn't it the mob's money? Why would he go to the mob asking for half of his own money back?
    That is true. You're talking about the money he stole from the bank in the opening scene then, right? In that case, I still think the burning scene kind of solves for this. It showed (Like Blasian pointed out) that the Joker doesn't care at all about money and he probably spent/got rid of that money he stole from the beginning. He's a villain to be a villain, to create chaos and destroy balance

That is true. You're talking about the money he stole from the bank in the opening scene then, right? In that case, I still think the burning scene kind of solves for this. It showed (Like Blasian pointed out) that the Joker doesn't care at all about money and he probably spent/got rid of that money he stole from the beginning. He's a villain to be a villain, to create chaos and destroy balance
    Got it now, thanks for clearing that up.

Local High School Star YAH trick YAH's Avatar

If need be, I think Johnny Depp could pull of the Joker, though nowhere near what Heath did in TDK. Man that was good. He was crazy as ****.

Dunking on everybody in the park thekavorka's Avatar

Yeah, now that I think about it I think having him be some sort of fallen hero works better than him just turning into an evil gangster. I also found the ending to be very interesting and morally ambiguous, with Batman taking the blame for everything Two-Face has done, and essentially deceiving the people of Gotham into believing a myth.
    I agree completely with this. I love how Nolan made Two-Face a tragic hero instead of a typical evil gangster. And in that respect, I think Two-Face is dead. Batman's sacrifice means that Harvey died as a martyr instead of a murderer.

and I agree that they could have shown Harvey Dent's transformation into Two-Face a bit better. I wouldn't mind if the movie is 3 hours long. But for most people, that's probably asking for too much.

One thing that really impressed me about the movie overall is that it's 2 and 1/2 hours long, there is not a lot of crazy action scenes but it just keeps delivering and did not make me say "will this end even though it was 2 in the morning"

how do you feel about Two-Face? Do you think he was misused here or are you satisfied with what they did with his character?
    Just saw it like 4 hours ago. Excellent movie!

Yeah, I thought they did use Two-Face a little more than I wanted but it wasn't a huge issue.

And I thought the eye was a little fake. They should have been more realistic and maybe have it damaged or dryed out. In reality, someone with their eye lid missing would need eye drops like every minute. I know it's a comic book movie but it seemed to me they would make it more realistic since everything else was that way.

Great movie though! One of my top 5 favorites now.
    Last edited by Aldridge Fan; 07-18-2008 at 09:24 PM.