Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default would you trade kyle lowry for kyrie irving?

straight up

Default Re: would you trade kyle lowry for kyrie irving?

No, Kyrie can't defend.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

A year ago, I would've said yes. Easy yes. But that was assuming the Raptors were going to tear it apart and rebuild. Kyrie is a huge talent and the Raptors would have control over a good chunk of his "prime" years. I think he gets hated on unfairly.

Now though? No. Lowry is simply a better fit over these next few years where the Raptors hopefully have a window to contend for a deep playoff run. Kyrie is a better option if you have a big need for a primary scorer. Everything else? Lowry does better.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    A year ago, I would've said yes. Easy yes. But that was assuming the Raptors were going to tear it apart and rebuild. Kyrie is a huge talent and the Raptors would have control over a good chunk of his "prime" years. I think he gets hated on unfairly.

Now though? No. Lowry is simply a better fit over these next few years where the Raptors hopefully have a window to contend for a deep playoff run. Kyrie is a better option if you have a big need for a primary scorer. Everything else? Lowry does better.
    I agree with Q. Lowry is one of the most well-rounded point guards in the league behind Rondo and Paul. Not many can score, rebound, pass and play D like him at PG.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

In terms of talent I'd value Kyrie over Lowry, but on this team, Lowry is the undisputed leader and he fits the team so perfectly. It'd be tough to turn down that trade, but I'd stick with Lowry.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni
    I agree with Q. Lowry is one of the most well-rounded point guards in the league behind Rondo and Paul. Not many can score, rebound, pass and play D like him at PG.
    Add in John Wall to this mix as well. He seems like he took the next step this season, except for the game against us

I wouldn't trade DeMar for Kyrie straight up, let alone Kyle.

Agreed,
    but really interesting.

Last year at this time there isn't a single person that wouldn't have done this trade.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Only PG I'd consider trading Lowry for is CP3 and Steph Curry.

Maybe John Wall.

One dimensional scorer for the guy who is everything for this team. No thanks.

Remember guys, Lowry was kind of a bonehead in his early 20s as well. Now he's 28 and in his prime, his most mature level as a ball player and as a man. He was a me-first guy at the same age. So my answer to the question is currently, no. I wouldn't trade Lowry for Irving straight up. But I think he has a higher ceiling depending on how his career evolves over the years.

Having Irving behind Love and LeBron may halt his career. He may not grow as much as he should. The reason why Bosh was so good in Toronto was because he was the number 1 man and he wasn't being held back. He goes and plays with Wade and LeBron and he was like that third man that was there and wasn't worth the amount he was getting paid. Now that LeBron left, he is playing some good basketball reminiscent of the Toronto days. Now LeBron is in Cleveland, I think Irving will have a similar experience as Bosh did.

Yes I would, the talent level is just way too high to pass up. Kyrie has some growing to do in leadership and defensive effort but he'll get it soon enough. Might disrupts team chemistry in the short term but once they start winning they'll get over it.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    Agreed,
    but really interesting.

Last year at this time there isn't a single person that wouldn't have done this trade.
    Yep

+1

Last year we were hearing about Klow to Knicks and tanking for Wiggens at this time.

Mind you last year at this time in the season Klow for Irving would have been laughed at because we still had Rudy Gay and we had yet to have "all star" seasons from Demar and Klow (in my humble opinion).

Further I personally doubt that Klow could have had an All star like season in New York because of Melo / Bargnani / Chandler et al. Klow could of only accomplished what he did on maybe 3 teams.... Toronto, Houston, Indiana (?)

So in hindsight its a quasi mute question on the straight up.

It is amazing - to BR point - is that the 'general consensus' among the fans here was (1) tear it down to the ground (2) not one was untouchable (3) Collangelo was soon to be practicing retro history with the media (4) tank tank tank ala Philly for Wiggens and or the top 3.

Its not a slam on the people here : I think I was a cautious tear it down guy myself.

I certainly give Masai full credit to playing out the string patiently to evaluate what we had.

Turns out through patience or fluke of the trade or all of the above that we really ended up with character guys and high aspirations.

------

What will be very interesting is this :

In your opinion now are we (1) "1 player away" (2) "2 players away" or (3) one "all star away" from conference finals and maybe more ????

I see lots of singleton names thrown out there .. Durant Mislap ..I been throwing Monroe out there.... etc but how close are we really ???

Saw a basketball once

No ... Lowry is better fit to the team.