Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller DirkLegend41's Avatar

Default Michael Rapaport Goes Off On LeBron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29O-T6yvSc

Agree or disagree with him?

Default Re: Michael Rapaport Goes Off On LeBron

I wouldn't go so far as to call him an opportunist ringchaser like this guy did. But it has to be brought up. Nearly everyone in the media was lining up to suck his dick for "Coming home! OMG Such a great story!" When really it seems like it's more about trading in an aging roster for one with younger superstars and other pieces that he has influence in bringing in. Can't fault him for making a smart decision, but there is an argument that he's taking shortcuts, trying to stack the chips in his favor, etc.

If it really was all about how great it is back home in Akron...then why did he leave in the first place? Nobody denies that it was about making the best decision for his basketball career back then. I don't think this second decision was any different.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Idk but gosh I can't wait until Durant clowns Lebron in the finals and I don't even like Durant that much.

I agree with Skip Rapaport. LeBron is the greatest player in the NBA, hands down and he should have stayed in Miami, retooled the Heat and came back again in the Finals with the Heat. That is the mark of a warrior. A true gladiator. Live and die with your team, the Heat. He got kicked in the no-nos and took off running to greener pastures.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I actually agree with his broader point. I am absolutely not a fan of the star players deciding collectively to team up in their primes. I didn't like it when it was happening in Miami and I don't like it now that it has happened in Cleveland. I don't think it is healthy for the league or conducive for an ultra competitive league.

I also think the "coming home" thing is a bit overblown by an eager media looking to exploit the easiest and most accessible storyline. Truth is, he saw the Cavs' ability to pull off other big moves and the young talent already on board.

If those assets weren't available here, he'd be back in Miami.

That said, Rappaport is being disingenuous when he says that's the reason he wasn't a fan of this move. I heard him on Howard Stern right after LeBron's letter was published and all he talked about was his disdain for Dan Gilbert. He just doesn't like that the Cavs are now the most relevant team in basketball again... he's just decided on a different approach to that end, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Idk but gosh I can't wait until Durant clowns Lebron in the finals and I don't even like Durant that much.
    Impossible.

OKC never making it to the Finals with Durant again.

Only way they meet again in the playoffs is when Durant goes to Washington.

NBA Superstar

Man, I was interested in hearing Rapaport speak but it is rough to watch clips of First Take. I wish Mark Cuban's appearance a few years ago would have hit just a little bit harder so he could have ended that show like Jon Stewart did Crossfire.

First Take are a bunch of clowns, but I watched this clip because Rapaport is a pretty cool dude.

I completely agree with his perspective. His leaving shouldn't be presented as "I'm coming home, I love Cleveland, I'm going there because I really wanna win that ring for the fans because I promised it"

It is what it is. Miami were getting old, Wade and Bosh weren't very impressive this season, his supporting cast was the weakest during his 4 seasons there, and he wanted to play on a more promising team for the future AND he won't have as much pressure to win a title next season because he can hide behind the "young, inexperienced team" cover.

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    I wouldn't go so far as to call him an opportunist ringchaser like this guy did. But it has to be brought up. Nearly everyone in the media was lining up to suck his dick for "Coming home! OMG Such a great story!" When really it seems like it's more about trading in an aging roster for one with younger superstars and other pieces that he has influence in bringing in. Can't fault him for making a smart decision, but there is an argument that he's taking shortcuts, trying to stack the chips in his favor, etc.

If it really was all about how great it is back home in Akron...then why did he leave in the first place? Nobody denies that it was about making the best decision for his basketball career back then. I don't think this second decision was any different.
    I can understand where you're coming from, but when LeBron said he was going back to Cleveland, the only player on the team at the time remotely close to considered for the "superstar" moniker was Kyrie.

There were no guarantees that Kevin Love was coming aboard at the time.

Plus, since when does the best player in the game go to Cleveland to ring chase like Rapaport said?
    Last edited by Hey Yo; 10-22-2014 at 05:43 PM.

NBA Superstar

Agreed with his points completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    I can understand where you're coming from, but when LeBron said he was going back to Cleveland, the only player on the team at the time remotely close to considered for the "superstar" moniker was Kyrie.

There were no guarantees that Kevin Love was coming aboard at the time.

Plus, since when does the best player in the game go to Cleveland to ring chase like Rapaport said?
    Honestly Kyrie doesn't even deserve the superstar label. He hasn't proven anything yet, he's just being overhyped because he was a number 1 pick. I don't care what anyone says, superstars don't miss the playoffs in a weak conference.

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    Honestly Kyrie doesn't even deserve the superstar label. He hasn't proven anything yet, he's just being overhyped because he was a number 1 pick. I don't care what anyone says, superstars don't miss the playoffs in a weak conference.
    He's not there yet, but he's most likely going to become one in the near future.

Still, Lebron basically got him a younger Wade and a younger Bosh, both being the better shooters as well. He went to Cleveland because it would give him a better chance to win, don't be fooled by the homecoming bs. If Cleveland had last year's Lakers roster, do you honestly think Lebron would have went back?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    He's not there yet, but he's most likely going to become one in the near future.

Still, Lebron basically got him a younger Wade and a younger Bosh, both being the better shooters as well. He went to Cleveland because it would give him a better chance to win, don't be fooled by the homecoming bs. If Cleveland had last year's Lakers roster, do you honestly think Lebron would have went back?
    First off, comparing Kyrie at this stage of his career to Wade is just
    He may get there at some point, but based on what he was accomplished thus far it is a joke to compare Kyrie to Wade. I do agree about Love being better than Bosh though.
    What was so impressive about Cleveland's roster before he resigned?
    That roster won 33 games in an all time weak conference. The Cavs roster didn't start looking good until AFTER he announced he was coming back and Love, Miller, and Marion all decided to join him. It's time we put a rest to the myth that he rejoined a Cavs team that was Championship ready.

Well said, spot on everything he said.

Very good NBA starter

Who the fvck is Michael Rapaport tho?