Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Where Does Adam Morrison Rank Among All-Time NBA Draft Busts?

while as a UCLA fan I greatly pity him and understand his lack of worth more than anyone else, he is no worse than JJ Reddick, who got just as much hype as he did. Morrison also put up 33 points in a game his rookie season, which is more than JJ Reddick will ever do.

I crack up everytime I think of this commercial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoeH_RkmcA

Adam Morrison: "Yeh I cried"
    Me:
    Adam Morrison: "And when I get to the NBA, more people will cry"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    I certainly didn't. I thought he'd be good. I thought he'd score 22 points a game on a bad Charlotte team, and like Rashard Lewis numbers (along with Rashard Lewis-effectiveness) on better teams. I thought he'd basically be a combination of Kevin Durant and Rip Hamilton and Antawn Jamison. Coming off screens, hitting jumpers, squeezing off awkward, weird shots in between.

I was impressed with his ability to get off shots at the college level and thought that he would make it work despite being physically disadvantaged. And I was just completely wrong. He's too physically outclassed, obviously can't find a comfort zone at this level, with its huge court and huge, fast competition.
    As crappy as he is in NBA, I have a feeling he would be a leading star in the Euroleagues.

6'7" unathletic jumpshooter chucker?
    Euroleagues won't know what hit them

Very good NBA starter

well, i bought into his hype back then. not because espn or sports illustrated told me to, but because i thought i saw talent and mad skills in the redneck boy.

i've seen much less impressive guys from college who have exploded in the nba, but those guys usually got elite athleticism to carry them.

as for talent, i still think morrison got tons of it, but too bad he's just too damn slow to do sh!t in the nba. it's one thing to school on 19 year olds in college, but another whole story to do it on frog-leaping, long-wing-spanning defensive muscular freaks in the pros. it really shows you what a huge difference between the college game and the pro game is. due to his lack of vertical explosion, it's like he suddenly shrunk 10 inches in the nba.

in retrospect, it's easier to understand why he's not doing that well. he's just too damn unathletic.

if he were athletic though with those same set of skills, then he'd be recognized as a real bust because a bust is supposed to have everything but fail. morrison had the game, but he definitely didn't have the physical stuff.
    Last edited by DCL; 06-11-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Magic Johnson

I still think Adam Morrison has a chance to be a solid role player. He'll get an opportunity next season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    well, i bought into his hype back then. not because espn or sports illustrated told me to, but because i thought i saw talent and mad skills in the redneck boy.

i've seen much less impressive guys from college who have exploded in the nba, but those guys usually got elite athleticism to carry them.

as for talent, i still think morrison got tons of it, but too bad he's just too damn slow to do sh!t in the nba. it's one thing to school on 19 year olds in college, but another whole story to do it on frog-leaping, long-wing-spanning defensive muscular freaks in the pros. it really shows you what a huge difference between the college game and the pro game is. due to his lack of vertical explosion, it's like he suddenly shrunk 10 inches in the nba.

in retrospect, it's easier to understand why he's not doing that well. he's just too damn unathletic.

if he were athletic though with those same set of skills, then he'd be recognized as a real bust because a bust is supposed to have everything but fail. morrison had the game, but he definitely didn't have the physical stuff.
    dont you think he'd be aces in the Euroleague though? He'd dominate Greece.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by GUUS
    dont you think he'd be aces in the Euroleague though? He'd dominate Greece.

don't even know about that. greece got some big and fast guys. and it's not 1985 anymore or whatever. they kinda got a lot better over there...

Very good NBA starter

anyway, a player like morrison is probably one of the hardest guys to predict how he'll do in the nba because he doesn't have any athletic gifts. that's where the ceiling becomes cloudy since the nba is a mandatory fast-paced game. even if you can do lots of things with the basketball, your game won't look so good if you can't even keep up with the rest of the guys on the court.

but when you saw morrison in college, you knew he had crazy skills and talent. homeboy was a straight up scoring machine, just taking defenders to school. in every gonzaga game, there were always a bunch of moments where he did something to make you wonder how the flying f did he get that up and make that?!? off-balanced releases with a man's hand all over his face, barely leaving any room to breathe, and he swishes them. aggressive layups in traffic from difficult angles off the glass with either hand. again, with barely any room for daylight. is this cat for real?

those tough shots looked impressive then. but, looking back, maybe that's the problem!... because most of those impossible plays in college were already at or near the limits with barely any breathing space left. so how was he going to get off those same shots against much faster and longer defenders if he barely got them off against the slower and smaller dudes?? obviously that makes sense now, but since he looked so good back then, he had people, scouts, including jordan, wonder how much more he got. jordan is not the best nba scout, but in terms of pure talent judgment, i don't disagree with him on morrison because i think morrison would be one helleva player if he played with everyone his height at the same speed as him, but that's just not how it goes.

i guess that's why gm's pay so much attention to pre-draft speed and jumping measurements. they don't necessarily tell you a player would be good but they might tell you what his limitations are.

so is morrison the slowest 6'7" guy ever? of course not. he'd probably dust chris mullin on the open court, and chris mullin was a dream teamer. but chris mullin was money whenever he shot the ball. the guy would shoot for like an hour at the gym and miss like one or none.

the "gimme the ball and get outta the way" scoring game that morrison played in college doesn't work in the pros because nba defenders are just too long and quick. but is morrison a bust?? i don't really think he is. for me, a bust is someone who has like "everything" and is a "can't miss" because he is so gifted in every check list. morrison wasn't a "can't miss" but more like a "might or might not." just too bad he lacked one of the most essential things to begin with, which is athleticism. poor boy can't even keep up with luke walton. come on now!
    Last edited by DCL; 06-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Banned

don't even know about that. greece got some big and fast guys. and it's not 1985 anymore or whatever. they kinda got a lot better over there...
    Trajan Langdon, a 6'1 non athletic shooting guard is one of the best shooting guards in Europe. You dont think 6'7 Adam Morrison wouldnt do better?

Local High School Star LakersLaLaLand's Avatar

Hopefully he will blossom in the triangle. Likely the Lakers cannot resign everybody. Dropping alot of PT into Morrison's lap.

This offense is perfect for him.

I will give him 75-80 chance of being useful in the nba.

1 thing is for sure..he will not live up to his #3 draft pick. He needs to focus on being a solid role shooter and slasher. On top of finding his defensive stroke. Second request is much tougher.

Local High School Star LakersLaLaLand's Avatar

anyway, a player like morrison is probably one of the hardest guys to predict how he'll do in the nba because he doesn't have any athletic gifts. that's where the ceiling becomes cloudy since the nba is a mandatory fast-paced game. even if you can do lots of things with the basketball, your game won't look so good if you can't even keep up with the rest of the guys on the court.

but when you saw morrison in college, you knew he had crazy skills and talent. homeboy was a straight up scoring machine, just taking defenders to school. in every gonzaga game, there were always a bunch of moments where he did something to make you wonder how the flying f did he get that up and make that?!? off-balanced releases with a man's hand all over his face, barely leaving any room to breathe, and he swishes them. aggressive layups in traffic from difficult angles off the glass with either hand. again, with barely any room for daylight. is this cat for real?

those tough shots looked impressive then. but, looking back, maybe that's the problem!... because most of those impossible plays in college were already at or near the limits with barely any breathing space left. so how was he going to get off those same shots against much faster and longer defenders if he barely got them off against the slower and smaller dudes?? obviously that makes sense now, but since he looked so good back then, he had people, scouts, including jordan, wonder how much more he got. jordan is not the best nba scout, but in terms of pure talent judgment, i don't disagree with him on morrison because i think morrison would be one helleva player if he played with everyone his height at the same speed as him, but that's just not how it goes.

i guess that's why gm's pay so much attention to pre-draft speed and jumping measurements. they don't necessarily tell you a player would be good but they might tell you what his limitations are.

so is morrison the slowest 6'7" guy ever? of course not. he'd probably dust chris mullin on the open court, and chris mullin was a dream teamer. but chris mullin was money whenever he shot the ball. the guy would shoot for like an hour at the gym and miss like one or none.

the "gimme the ball and get outta the way" scoring game that morrison played in college doesn't work in the pros because nba defenders are just too long and quick. but is morrison a bust?? i don't really think he is. for me, a bust is someone who has like "everything" and is a "can't miss" because he is so gifted in every check list. morrison wasn't a "can't miss" but more like a "might or might not." just too bad he lacked one of the most essential things to begin with, which is athleticism. poor boy can't even keep up with luke walton. come on now!
    nice scouting report.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by GUUS
    Trajan Langdon, a 6'1 non athletic shooting guard is one of the best shooting guards in Europe. You dont think 6'7 Adam Morrison wouldnt do better?
    trajan langdon is one of the best over there? (10.6ppg, 1.3a)

http://www.euroleague.net/competitio...=csk&pcode=BEB

NBA All-star

I wonder how bad was that knee injury to him.

he didn't seem like the type that was after money.

he probably didn't go through enough starter period for how good he was in college to just accept being a role player.