Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multilingualism

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Multilingualism

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    What else do you speak, and why are you snobby about English?
    he's from bulgaria... did someone say peasants?

What else do you speak, and why are you snobby about English?
    Native Bulgarian, English, a bit of German, and can understand some of our neighbors languages such as Serbian, Croat, Bosnia, Russian, Ukrainian, know a few Greek words, and some Turkish, as well.

My main issues with English:
    -genderless
    -too random in some regards

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    he's from bulgaria... did someone say peasants?
    z fokin yokel noes moe lingos den u.

Btw you got the dumbest excuse not to speak another language. The machine does it for me...knowing and speaking more languages really develops your brain as you construct thoughts and sentences in another language, which at least in my case gives me different perspective about stuff. What the point of being a basic bitch that relies only on technology.

Bulgarian: 9 million native speakers, insignificant number of L2 or foreign speakers

English: 400 million native speakers, 400 million L2 speakers, 700 million foreign language speakers, premier lingua franca of the entire world

Total # of speakers:

Bulgarian: 9 million
    English: 1.5 billion

English >>> Bulgarian. Stupid South Slavic language

Jokes aside, I want to know, from those of you who are bilingual - have you ever read a piece of literature in another language as well as the english translation so that you could compare them?

I want to learn German and read Nietzsche without translation.

suicidal...

Bulgarian: 9 million native speakers, insignificant number of L2 or foreign speakers

English: 400 million native speakers, 400 million L2 speakers, 700 million foreign language speakers, premier lingua franca of the entire world

Total # of speakers:

Bulgarian: 9 million
    English: 1.5 billion

English >>> Bulgarian. Stupid South Slavic language

Proves my point. Thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    suicidal...
    Wtf do you mean?

Very good NBA starter

Native Bulgarian, English, a bit of German, and can understand some of our neighbors languages such as Serbian, Croat, Bosnia, Russian, Ukrainian, know a few Greek words, and some Turkish, as well.

My main issues with English:
    -genderless
    -too random in some regards

z fokin yokel noes moe lingos den u.

Btw you got the dumbest excuse not to speak another language. The machine does it for me...knowing and speaking more languages really develops your brain as you construct thoughts and sentences in another language, which at least in my case gives me different perspective about stuff. What the point of being a basic bitch that relies only on technology.

get real, dummy.

you are from a third world shit hole.

it's mandatory that you have to learn the international language, which is english.

it's not a necessity for anybody else to learn your shit hole country dialect though.

all those drugs have screwed up your entire perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    get real, dummy.

you are from a third world shit hole.

it's mandatory that you have to learn the international language, which is english.

it's not a necessity for anybody else to learn your shit hole country dialect though.

all those drugs have screwed up your entire perspective.
    You want to get real? Bring your illiterate ass over here.

And please never mention the word perspective and quote me in the same post.

Whats your point? You are superior american because you stole the English language from the British, which in turn stole it from the French and Latin people. You are taking pride in an arbitrary label language, which can be perfected in a year. You and the OP proved my point over and over again. English is a joke of a language, this is the reason why it has the status it has of an international language. Its simplicity make it accessible hence its popularity. You think pride in lack of value... Im not sure if you will understand what i mean, but for comparison if you start learning Bulgarian you will NEVER be 100% proficient. Going back to your simple mind logic, "if the language is hard, why learn it, lol ". Well, my simple minded friend, a language is a tool, complexity means more versatility and utility.

Dont have any more patience or time for you tbh.

Very good NBA starter

Whats your point? You are superior american because you stole the English language from the British, which in turn stole it from the French and Latin people. You are taking pride in an arbitrary label language, which can be perfected in a year. You and the OP proved my point over and over again. English is a joke of a language, this is the reason why it has the status it has of an international language. Its simplicity make it accessible hence its popularity. You think pride in lack of value... Im not sure if you will understand what i mean, but for comparison if you start learning Bulgarian you will NEVER be 100% proficient. Going back to your simple mind logic, "if the language is hard, why learn it, lol ". Well, my simple minded friend, a language is a tool, complexity means more versatility and utility.

you had to learn english because that was supposed to be your ticket to take you out of the shit hole third world.

if you didn

Jokes aside, I want to know, from those of you who are bilingual - have you ever read a piece of literature in another language as well as the english translation so that you could compare them?

I speak three languages and my favourite is English, it has a huge advantage when it comes to resources from YT videos to scholarly articles.

And good luck reading Nietzsche in German, a small number of native Germans even attempt to read it and fewer understand it. I have read Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Beyond Good an Evil plus a companion (A Nietzsche Reader) and I think I got most of what he wanted to say. Meaning it's not that necessary to learn German for it, but if you have the conviction to master German that much then your ultimate goal in doing so is not that important anyway.

Fluent in Dutch, English and Spanish. Basics of French and German. Japanese and Latin are on my wish list.

I am from the States but live in Germany now.....You DON'T want to learn German. It sucks. You have to deal with genders and the chaos that causes with word endings, articles and a host of other crap. English is a natural and healthly evolution of the German language.....To learn German is to regress.

Additionally, no hot babes are impressed with German. After all the years it takes to learn, YEARS, it is such a shitty, non-romantic language as to render all the time spend learning it as useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    I am from the States but live in Germany now.....You DON'T want to learn German. It sucks. You have to deal with genders and the chaos that causes with word endings, articles and a host of other crap. English is a natural and healthly evolution of the German language.....To learn German is to regress.

Additionally, no hot babes are impressed with German. After all the years it takes to learn, YEARS, it is such a shitty, non-romantic language as to render all the time spend learning it as useless.
    Not to mention it sounds wrong and feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Not to mention it sounds wrong and feels wrong.
    This too. Fck German.

What?

You're an idiot, dude. I regret attempting to have a good conversation with you.