Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Default Re: Is a nearly imminent paradigm shift required for humanity

I don't think advanced machines are making us obsolete. I think they are making us dumber. Our paradigm shift is a shift to idiocracy. We get machines to do our jobs, we resort to doing mindless things on our machines

We are intentionally rotting our brains

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    I don't think advanced machines are making us obsolete. I think they are making us dumber. Our paradigm shift is a shift to idiocracy. We get machines to do our jobs, we resort to doing mindless things on our machines

We are intentionally rotting our brains
    Don't fight singularity, autonomy is a great thing, technology progression is a great thing

We will be very lucky in our lifetime that will have the choice to become gods or chose to die at a biological rate. 15-20 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I don't think you have to worry about AI replacing us. Why? Because at some point, I expect humans and AI to intersect into a single being. That's the existence we are building towards.

Whatever being you get from that will be our next evolutionary lineage. Natural selection is essentially being replaced with our ability to dictate our own evolution on our terms and ultimately play god.

Natural selection, naturally, takes place over thousands and hundreds of thousands of generations. Today we have the power to dictate it over just a few generations - we can even alter our DNA so we control our biology. We have taken over the reins, and we are speeding it up each generation. We now control our own evolution (hence playing god).

That will be and is already becoming our new approach to life since the dawn of the information age, mainly the addition of computers. We already have implant chips and handheld computers at our fingertips (smartphones), and I expect the two to become one (think of google glasses except directly implanted into our bodies). I have zero doubt we are heading towards the age of cyborgs. That's our future.
    Absolutely agree with this post.

In the not so distant future we ll be humans with artificial improvement via technology, then we will surpass natural selection and evolution, advancing to the era of artificial evolution and intelligent design.

Problem is this will diminish a lot our mortality and increase our life span, so a birth/population control strategy should be mandatory, leading to a new age of discrimination and conflict, only the elite would have the "rights" to have children, maybe we ll have a war because of this.

The real solution should be "terraforming" other planets and start the space expansion, probably secret agencies/group are working on that.

National High School Star

I

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I’m going to actually respond to this thread as it seems genuine.

It will increase the disparity between the haves and the have nots. We are already trending toward this. The true “jobs” will continue to require increasingly high levels of education and intelligence. These will be extremely well paid jobs but not require many people. We are already seeing this in a company like Netflix. Their revenue to their number of employees is mind boggling when compared with the number of employees it took in past generations.

For others, this means they will be higher educated but still be doing somewhat menial work. As they are just a cog they’ll not be paid that much. An example would be the 5-10 people that run an automated supermarket. You only need 5-10 instead of the usual 20-30. However, they are simply there to deter theft, help in rare situations, provide the human touch etc. They’ll be paid what we call retail wages.

The true scary part of all this is whether we learn to rethink our mentality about work, money, standard of living, and resources. All of these advances will greatly increase the standard of living if we allow some redistribution of wealth. If we continue down the model of a few people harnessing all the wealth we’ll be left with a world that simply is better in name and not in reality.

Even now, we could all be working 3 days a week, having a nice place to live, and modern amenities for every person on the planet. We have the resources, tech, and land available. Instead, what we’ve allowed to happen is for some people to have the money for 10,000 houses and 9,999 people to not have enough for 1 home.
    Do you think the 5-10 people running the supermarket will be keen to have their pay redistributed to the 15-20 people who got laid off and are now getting some sun and catching up on their reading M-F?

The reason the welfare system works currently is because theres still enough incentive for people to actually work and get rich, while welfare recipients are content with just scraping by.

The closer you move toward a system where a guy working for 100k has to give his layabout neighbor 50k, the closer you move to collapse. People simply will not work on those terms. It’s not human nature.

There is one other dark possibility that I hate to mention, but I have to. That possibility is that we will kill ourselves as a species, and we will cease to exist before we get an opportunity to disperse across our solar system and the cosmos. Climate change, antibiotic resistant diseases, nearby supernova, asteroid, you name it could spell an end to our species and any possibility of a rise of AI and/or cyborg. That can come much sooner, perhaps in next couple generations for some possibilities and longer for others.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Do you think the 5-10 people running the supermarket will be keen to have their pay redistributed to the 15-20 people who got laid off and are now getting some sun and catching up on their reading M-F?

The reason the welfare system works currently is because theres still enough incentive for people to actually work and get rich, while welfare recipients are content with just scraping by.

The closer you move toward a system where a guy working for 100k has to give his layabout neighbor 50k, the closer you move to collapse. People simply will not work on those terms. It’s not human nature.
    https://youtu.be/meiU6TxysCg?t=79

The video is not a perfect comparison but close enough... and yes, correct.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 01-27-2019 at 05:32 PM.

There is one other dark possibility that I hate to mention, but I have to. That possibility is that we will kill ourselves as a species, and we will cease to exist before we get an opportunity to disperse across our solar system and the cosmos. Climate change, antibiotic resistant diseases, nearby supernova, asteroid, you name it could spell an end to our species and any possibility of a rise of AI and/or cyborg. That can come much sooner, perhaps in next couple generations for some possibilities and longer for others.
    How is a supernova or asteroid us killing ourselves as a species? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    How is a supernova or asteroid us killing ourselves as a species? lol
    Maybe I should have included 'natural' disasters.

Nearby supernova within 50 light-years can emit xrays and gamma rays that can essentially destroy our planet's atmosphere. Without an atmosphere, we are dead. Maybe small number may survive if we can get inside a mountain base or deep underground...

Asteroid can create massive tsunamis, volcanoes, screw with Earth seasons, impact Earth rotation potentially if big enough. In long-term, they can cause nuclear winter and block sunlight for a long time.

We can still be okay from both disasters if we build a massive base station in space or another planet potentially like Mars. We can also fund programs which focus on pushing oncoming asteroids out of the way - we don't have such a program in place currently. So you know what, it would still be our fault if we don't prepare for averting such natural disasters.

NBA Legend

There were no antibiotics for hundreds of millenia, and our progenitors were never fully wiped out by anything. We now have exponentially greater numbers and medical technology. Even if something came and wiped out 3 billion people (unthinkably improbable), we

NBA Legend

Maybe I should have included 'natural' disasters.

Nearby supernova within 50 light-years can emit xrays and gamma rays that can essentially destroy our planet's atmosphere. Without an atmosphere, we are dead. Maybe small number may survive if we can get inside a mountain base or deep underground...

Asteroid can create massive tsunamis, volcanoes, screw with Earth seasons, impact Earth rotation potentially if big enough. In long-term, they can cause nuclear winter and block sunlight for a long time.

We can still be okay from both disasters if we build a massive base station in space or another planet potentially like Mars. We can also fund programs which focus on pushing oncoming asteroids out of the way - we don't have such a program in place cu
    rrently. So you know what, it would still be our fault if we don't prepare for averting such natural disasters.

Oh, for sure. We can do anything we want with other people

[QUOTE=Akrazotile]

Oh, for sure. We can do anything we want with other people

NBA Legend

Melting down and spazzing out in front of our eyes

Exposing your low IQ and high school level political sophistication in front of everyones eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Exposing your low IQ and high school level political sophistication in front of everyones eyes
    I've often heard people say that you're heartless if you're not a liberal in your 20s... and you're brainless if you're not a conservative in your 30s...

Personally I skipped over that whole being a liberal thing...

I really started to appreciate hard work and what earning money actually means at 15 years old when I had my first job at a grocery store... I was making 5 something an hour and I saw shit come across the scanner and looked at people's totals and individual prices of items, I was like HOLY SHIT!!! My entire paycheck would be going towards essentially nothing but food if I was supporting myself... (part time @ $5 an hour)... I seem to remember steak, specifically, really hammering this concept home for me at the time.

If I ever have kids and society hasn't collapsed, I will absolutely be forcing them to get a job at 15 years old so that they can begin to start to appreciate the value of time/money and hard work in order to feed yourself. I'd be happy with them only working 10 hours a week... but they'll have to do it.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 01-27-2019 at 09:42 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-vSB6gQszY

I think it is. Listen to this guy.

lol. Things are going to get so bad here in the next 20 years in terms of nationwide unemployment levels because of AI/automation wiping out jobs, I can't see a world in which a paradigm shift isn't required... lest we end up in some global uprising/wars.

People don't believe it. Most of you won't believe it until it happens. It's happening.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 02-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.