Decent college freshman

Default 3 random era based thoughts. Big men edition.

1. Guys like Jalil Okafor, Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson and Enes Kanter are not "bad fits for the era" due to small ball, as often stated. They are bad fits in any era because they don't play D

2. Draymond Green is not a small ball PF. He fits well in the small ball era, because of his versatility, but he is a PF in any era.

3. Its a tough era for centers, but man is it bad luck that Oden,Bynum,Ming and Embiid all got injured. Big men get injured in all eras, but if just 2 of those guys stay healthy, we probably don't have these conversations.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 08-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Serious playground baller Mawly-G's Avatar

Default Re: 3 random era based thoughts. Big men addition.

Good point, but "addition" =/= "edition"

Great college starter

I wonder how good Oden would've been without all the injuries. He was hyped beyond belief but I just never saw the GOAT defensive potential he was said to have

Always did enjoy Yao though. Bynum would've been special and Embiid still can be

i'll say that in previous eras, big men didn't have to play on the perimeter as much so they're less of liabilities. We've seen it often as soon as a slow big man comes in the game, a team will run a pnr with the guy he's guarding creating a mismatch or drive to the basket.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

big men longevity in the league is weak....

Why : Tuff on joints , fatigue running the floor, without touchs...

Average big lasts around 34 years old.
    Even though good ones, start a tailspin around that time...

Their window is 24-34 (10 years tops)

That is a fact.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Mawly-G
    Good point, but "addition" =/= "edition"
    Ha! Can't believe I did that, must have been in a hurry. My bad.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    big men longevity in the league is weak....

Why : Tuff on joints , fatigue running the floor, without touchs...

Average big lasts around 34 years old.
    Even though good ones, start a tailspin around that time...

Their window is 24-34 (10 years tops)

That is a fact.
    3 of those guys were in rough shape by like 19 though.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    i'll say that in previous eras, big men didn't have to play on the perimeter as much so they're less of liabilities. We've seen it often as soon as a slow big man comes in the game, a team will run a pnr with the guy he's guarding creating a mismatch or drive to the basket.
    Someone gets it.

Guys like Ewing and Shaq would have been pick and rolled to death as soon as they stepped into the game. Even guys like Hakeem and Robinson who were far quicker on their feet would go through the same.

People acting like these guys would be putting up even better numbers than before are delusional. It is easier to double without the ball now, and the big man is spending far more time on the perimeter expending energy.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Someone gets it.

Guys like Ewing and Shaq would have been pick and rolled to death as soon as they stepped into the game. Even guys like Hakeem and Robinson who were far quicker on their feet would go through the same.

People acting like these guys would be putting up even better numbers than before are delusional. It is easier to double without the ball now, and the big man is spending far more time on the perimeter expending energy.
    Shaq was put in alot of pick n rolls and still dominated. Duncan survived at advance age of 36-39 in pick n roll heavy league. In fact Timmy has been the spurs best player in 13 playoffs,14, and 15 you

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    Why has Duncan been the best player for the spurs in 13,14,15 playoffs at advance age if Big man was so horrible. Why is duncan have the highest drapm before his knee injury at 39 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Shaq was put in alot of pick n rolls and still dominated. Duncan survived at advance age of 36-39 in pick n roll heavy league. In fact Timmy has been the spurs best player in 13 playoffs,14, and 15 you
    Duncan is an oddity, playing for the best coach and system in the league. If you watch the Spurs, they actually compromise a lot on defense, though it works. One thing they do is not reach, and give up minimal fouls, and another thing they do is, give up long 2's on pick and roll situations. Duncan stays home a lot on the pick and roll when his man sets the pick.

You'll notice this year when everyone was calling for Duncan to be taken off the court against OKC when they lost, it was due to the pick and roll and him not being able to keep up. The difference was, OKC has great shooters, and actually hit that shot off the pick consistently.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Anyone who thinks Olajuwon, Robinson or even guys like McHale would get destroyed in today's game are wrong imo.

And true about Oden, Bynum and Embiid...etc. They could have all been dominant if not for injuries. I feel especially bad for Greg Oden.
    I'm hoping Embiid can be truly dominant in a few years. I love the dominant post players.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyboy91
    Anyone who thinks Olajuwon, Robinson or even guys like McHale would get destroyed in today's game are wrong imo.

And true about Oden, Bynum and Embiid...etc. They could have all been dominant if not for injuries. I feel especially bad for Greg Oden.
    I'm hoping Embiid can be truly dominant in a few years. I love the dominant post players.
    Has anyone actually said that though? Or are you making arguments on your own?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Duncan is an oddity, playing for the best coach and system in the league. If you watch the Spurs, they actually compromise a lot on defense, though it works. One thing they do is not reach, and give up minimal fouls, and another thing they do is, give up long 2's on pick and roll situations. Duncan stays home a lot on the pick and roll when his man sets the pick.

You'll notice this year when everyone was calling for Duncan to be taken off the court against OKC when they lost, it was due to the pick and roll and him not being able to keep up. The difference was, OKC has great shooters, and actually hit that shot off the pick consistently.
    Are you stupid? Dincan was injured this year. He started playing horrible before the playoffs even started. Before the injury he was leading the league in drapm. What happen the previous years in 13 playoffs,14, playoffs, 15 playoffs. Duncan at 36-39 was still a top defender in todays league.