Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Team USA

Decent college freshman Silverbullit's Avatar

Default Re: Team USA

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Great post. We appreciate the info. I respect all of those teams but I think that was pretty much expected.
    Germany (with Nowitzki, still without Kaman) lost to Puerto Rico in the same tournament.
    Greece's Sofoklis Schortsanitis has lost some weight and is very dangerous.

Good High School Starter Buffalobraves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit
    Germany (with Nowitzki, still without Kaman) lost to Puerto Rico in the same tournament.
    Greece's Sofoklis Schortsanitis has lost some weight and is very dangerous.
    Germany's two best players are tall white guys with no vertical that can barely run.

Decent playground baller simasu01's Avatar

Germany's best players will still be better than the US big men.

NBA lottery pick

Not even close. Howard and Melo are a better combo than Kamen and Dirk. I thought it was a funny post and I'm a tall white guy with no verticle. We aren't anti-Europe. Quit being so anti-US.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Germany is a great in soccer but their basketball leaves little to be desired

Not even close. Howard and Melo are a better combo than Kamen and Dirk. I thought it was a funny post and I'm a tall white guy with no verticle. We aren't anti-Europe. Quit being so anti-US.
    Howard+Melo is a better combo of players, but maybe not as C+PF. Besides, Howard gets in foul trouble easily. Anyway, Germany has nothing to do with the US and in general with almost anybody at the highest level. They are a top 10 maybe, but very far away from the top 5 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by simasu01
    Germany's best players will still be better than the US big men.
    Howard and Melo would destroy Dirk and Kaman. Howard can out rebound and out run Kaman, Kaman will probably get severe head injuries when Howard dunks on him 7-8 times. Dirks bigger then Melo and has a little better shot but do you really think hes athletic enough to cover Melo back at the other end?

Not to mention while all this is going on Kobe and Lebron are putting up 20 each on some German no one has ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobraves
    Howard and Melo would destroy Dirk and Kaman. Howard can out rebound and out run Kaman, Kaman will probably get severe head injuries when Howard dunks on him 7-8 times. Dirks bigger then Melo and has a little better shot but do you really think hes athletic enough to cover Melo back at the other end?

Not to mention while all this is going on Kobe and Lebron are putting up 20 each on some German no one has ever heard of.
    FIBA style is different and Howard will suffer then. Kaman is better suited, and Dirk is a master. So it is difficult to say they will destroy them. Sure current USA would destroy current Germany any time they play, but it will not be due to their dominance in the paint but because Germany don't have any relevant guard/SF to face the US players.

NBA lottery pick

Melo's game is perfectly suited for the international game. I think you give Kaman too much credit. He isn't a great shooter or defender. He can rebound decent. He's an average player. Howard isn't a great shooter either but he is a better defender and rebounder. He is faster, can jump higher, bigger, and just plain more athletic. Under no rules or format is Kaman a better player than Howard.

If you really think Kaman is better than Howard in the international game it brings me back to a point I made about the FIBA rules in other threads. That is they help people who aren't as good have a chance to compete. I really can't believe it's even a discussion as to who the better player is.

Melo's game is perfectly suited for the international game. I think you give Kaman too much credit. He isn't a great shooter or defender. He can rebound decent. He's an average player. Howard isn't a great shooter either but he is a better defender and rebounder. He is faster, can jump higher, bigger, and just plain more athletic. Under no rules or format is Kaman a better player than Howard.

If you really think Kaman is better than Howard in the international game it brings me back to a point I made about the FIBA rules in other threads. That is they help people who aren't as good have a chance to compete. I really can't believe it's even a discussion as to who the better player is.
    I agree with the Melo stuff, but I think he could be unable to defend Dirk (or a true PF) when posting up. He will be difficult to deffend for a big, that's true. But still the matchup could be tough for him, while playing as SF he would be really beasting.

Then, the Howard/Kaman thing. There is no discussion about who is the better player. But you can't tell me Kaman is just an average player. He has good post moves, is a good help defender and good shot blocker. He has better fundamentals than Dwight, IMO. That's key in FIBA play, and that's the reason why I said he is better suited, not a better player. The matchup Howard/Melo/Bosh - Kaman/Dirk would be nice to see, though.

With respect to what FIBA rules do, it can be seen the way you do see it, but for me the thing is that they benefit the team ball over the individuals, while the NBA does the opposite. So in the end it can hide some weaknesses, some lack of special talent of some players that look good in Europe, then go to NBA and fail, because the game style is different. Just a matter of perspective, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by berraco
    I agree with the Melo stuff, but I think he could be unable to defend Dirk (or a true PF) when posting up. He will be difficult to deffend for a big, that's true. But still the matchup could be tough for him, while playing as SF he would be really beasting.
    Yeah but the way i see it is thatfor every time Dirk posts up Melo, Melo can just go down and get another bucket with a killer crossover on Dirk. I'm not saying Dirk is bad but its like 2 points for every 1 and eventually it gets to be a big lead.

I agree with everything elese though.

Hey does anyone know how the Italian team is?

I've never really considered them.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Anyone know when the first game televised will be?

NBA lottery pick

I'm not sure of the exact date but I believe it's in August.

USA are going to win in the 2008 Olympics because the best player in the NBA will be playing in Beijing, and some of the current USA Members matured in the International Competitions, and they aren't no longer the 19 or 20 yrs.old, who represented Team USA in Athens.

Team USA are 23-1 in the International Competition since 2006, and the only country that defeated them are the Greek National Team in the 2006 Fiba World Championship.

The next lesson they need to learn is beware of the Europeans and South American floppers. I hate flopping, and FIBA need to suspend those players, who always flop on the court.

Argentina is one of the oldest team in the tournament, and the only legit threat to Team USA is the Spanish National Team because of their great performance in the 2006 FIBA World Championship.

and i think Coach K assemble one of the best USA Team in the history of the NBA, and their defense is much better compared to their last performance in the Olympics.