Local High School Star

Default Monitoring the competition in Eastern Conference

I thought to start a thread of "brief thoughts" as other Eastern teams flush out their Roster.

Maybe simple bullets about impact of signing and where it "moves the team" in a very wide open Eastern Conference race.

Welcome to join...all and any...

Perhaps we can limit it to "one team" per post so if you quote respond then the discussion is on that team ?

Local High School Star

Default Charlotte Hornets

Hornets:

Lost McRoberts to Heat
    Lost Ridnor to Magic according to rumors

Signed Stevenson from Pacers
    Chasing Boozer as amnesty candidate

Took Noah Vonleah as draft pick
    Then got PJ Harrison from the Heat for Napier. D League NBA ready ?

I think the loss of glue guys McRoberts/Ridnor are more than the addition of the draft picks and Stevenson... but Stevenson has talent and the outside threat they lacked last year.

Overall I think they are still playoff bound but lower tier... 5 - 8.

Season Record to be about the same with plus or minus 3 wins.

Local High School Star

Default Washington Wizards

Wizards:

Hmm interesting.

On a team with Nene and lost Ariza

- Resigned C Gortat
    - Signed C Dejawn Blair
    - Added Pierce at the vet minimum to replace Ariza
    - Added ex Raptor Humphries

- No draft picks.

I have to assume that loading up on C means Nene is gone/hurt/not ready/not coming back otherwise doesn't make sense. Never read it definative but Nene is not going to be the power he was a few years back.

I think Pierce and Humph are actually really good pick ups for this team. Everyone says Pierce is old and not as energetic as we was - but this team is all about the Backcourt (Wall and Beal) scoring or feeding to the big men down low. Pierce doesn't need to be 20 points per game like Boston or even Brooklyn.

Humph is a classic plugger almost double double consistently.

This team gave the Raptors fits at season end.. those were good games to watch but didnt always go our way.

If the Raps are on the rise in the East then so are the Wizards. I guess their wins will come from the Heat / Pacers among others but I "think I think" the Wizards may be considered top half eastern conference material.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Monitoring the competition in Eastern Conference

I think the East is wide open and injuries will really have an effect on the standings the team I will focus on the Pacer's will not run away with the lead as they did much of the season last year. Lance as weird as he was in some respects was one of there top two player's they will fell his loss especially on the play making front. This team needs a Rondo like point and to resolve its chemistry issues. I can see them dropping significantly.

Default Re: Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    This team gave the Raptors fits at season end.. those were good games to watch but didnt always go our way.
    The Raptors won the series 3-1, 2-1 post Rudy Gay trade. Give me a triple OT loss where Ross left after the 1st half and we lose 3 of our main guys in OT anyday.

The other 2 games, we clearly dominated against the Wizards for majority of the time on their home floor.

Local High School Star

Default Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    The Raptors won the series 3-1, 2-1 post Rudy Gay trade. Give me a triple OT loss where Ross left after the 1st half and we lose 3 of our main guys in OT anyday.

The other 2 games, we clearly dominated against the Wizards for majority of the time on their home floor.
    I cannot argue the earlier season games; the 2-1 post Rudy Gay seems to me the most relevant.

The Wizards did start slow.. but look how they finished.

Given that quote unquote 'the Heat step back' I would suggest the Wizard gain in that division and therefore in the conference. Especially with all the bigs they added to the back court of BBeal/Wall.

[COLOR="Red"]<< I just not sure what adding those bigs mean. Is Nene done? Is this desperation or exasperation? Will it be a chemistry issue for minutes ?>>[/COLOR]

In theory - on paper - I would put the Wizards with the Raptors on the cusp of top 4 east.

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
    Added: Marcin Gortat (re-signed), Paul Pierce (Nets), Drew Gooden (re-signed), Kris Humphries (Celtics), DeJuan Blair (Mavericks), Kevin Seraphin (re-signed)
    Lost: Trevor Ariza (Rockets), Trevor Booker (Jazz)
    Free Agents: Al Harrington, Chris Singleton, Garrett

Default Re: Washington Wizards

Honestly with all the moves in the East and the fact that we kept our core and added JJ/Lou Will I think we will remain a top 3-4 seed with a chance of winning a round, maybe even 2.

Default Re: Charlotte Hornets

Brooklyn:

Lost Pierce to WAS
    Lost Livingston to GS
    Lost Kidd to MIL

Acquired Jack from CLE
    Signed Bogdanovic,
    Drafted Markel Brown (2nd round)

The losses of Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce & Shaun Livingston are gonna hurt.

Adding Jarrett Jack, Bojan Bogdanovic, & a healthy Brook Lopez will help.

Overall, they'll be .500 team. Their season will be a mess.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Brooklyn Nets

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    Brooklyn:
    Overall, they'll be .500 team. Their season will be a mess.
    More or less agree.

I don't see Brooklyn having the horses unless somehow Deron (and with AK47) returns or exceeds his All Star caliber season ; and is able to strap the team on his back and carry them. Even still that is a stretch - low probability.

I think they are very possibly looking at the playoffs from the outside albeit 36 wins statistically gets you the 8th cede in the Eastern Conference.

Local High School Star

Default Re: New York Knicks

New York Knicks :

Lost : Chandler / Felton

Gained : Calderon and a low first round pick ClearAnthony.

Signed: Dalembert.

[COLOR="Indigo"]Melo guarantees the playoff this season for the Knicks [/COLOR]

Really ?

I think the team may actually be improved frankly. I think Jose adds dimensions to this offense they lacked...actual ball distribution and clutch shots.... but with Calderon / Bargnani / Delembert / Shupert who will actually play Defence ?????

I guess Melo can strap the team on his back and carry them to 8th but we will see.