Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upside and downside of the new Warriors

Now with Kevin Durant, what do you think the best the Warriors can do is (reg season wins, playoff prediction) etc. and what can possibly go wrong? What issues do you see with the roster? Talent doesn't automatically mesh. Incredible players on paper don't always work out quite the way we'd think chemistry-wise.

What do you see as the probable upside and downside's of the Warriors with Barnes and Bogut gone but Kevin Durant and Zaza Pachulia in their place? (And old David West there too)

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Upside and downside of the new Warriors

They are still not as good as advertised. LeBron's Heat team took a season or two to learn how to play together and build chemistry. They are still a live by the 3 and die by the 3 team. After Kevin Durant did his share of choking during the last playoffs who is to say that he would of made a difference? Golden State is still a soft team mentally and physically. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Cavs can take it to them next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Cavs Fan
    They are still not as good as advertised. LeBron's Heat team took a season or two to learn how to play together and build chemistry. They are still a live by the 3 and die by the 3 team. After Kevin Durant did his share of choking during the last playoffs who is to say that he would of made a difference? Golden State is still a soft team mentally and physically. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Cavs can take it to them next season.
    They're prob the GOAT comeback team in RS last year and came back from 3-1 vs OKC. They're definitely not weak mentally.

Problem is chemistry. And if Durant is ok not being the guy at times during the game, because I don't see Curry handing the keys of the team to Durant. One because it's been his team for years, and the other he is the better player. Keeping egos in check will be a task, though not sure how big because all 4 of them are focused on winning. They will win less than the 73 win season, but I'm pretty confident they will win the chip on their first attempt together. The 3 Warrior stars from last year will have a point to prove. Just no injuries (to any big teams, not just Warriors), we want to see the best of the best play one another.

First round exit vs OKC (Westbrook version)

Called it here first

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Upside is obviously the fact that you'll have a team of all stars. Both Curry and Durant will be the best player on the floor at all times playing against every team other than the Cavs.

Downside is depth/chemistry - which could worsen if an injury were to occur to any of their key players.

While their depth is worse than it was last year, does it matter that much? Their starting 5 is probably the greatest in nba history. They're going to eviscerate whoever they come across and rest for the final quarter.

I think they learned from their lesson last year and won't necessarily go at 110% for the regular season record. Having said that, I don't see them getting anything less than 68 wins. They're too good not to. Sacrificing your bench to get a Kevin Durant is the right move 10 times out of 10 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    While their depth is worse than it was last year, does it matter that much? Their starting 5 is probably the greatest in nba history. They're going to eviscerate whoever they come across and rest for the final quarter.

I think they learned from their lesson last year and won't necessarily go at 110% for the regular season record. Having said that, I don't see them getting anything less than 68 wins. They're too good not to. Sacrificing your bench to get a Kevin Durant is the right move 10 times out of 10 imo.
    That's the thing. Even last year didn't their starters sit the most 4th quarter minutes? Games will be over by halftime

Upside is obvious.

Downside is that they added yet another jump shooter that has a history of choking in important moments when his jumper isn't falling. They still have no inside presence whatsoever.

But I guess when you have 4 All-NBA players, 2 DPOY worthy defenders, and arguably the 3 best shooters in the league none of that really matters...

There is no downside. Don't even try to spin it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I think they are a Bytch team showing penal's in the off season.

Durant a puzzy so he fits in.

Upside: Spacing, scoring. Even their 4th option is deadly.

Downside: defense. screening. They lost their big dudes who provided both elite-ly.

The big question will be, if they have no rim protection, and are giving up 110+ points per game, is their offense gonna average 120ppg to compensate?

The answer is: depends on how screens are called and how well they can quell penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld
    First round exit vs OKC (Westbrook version)

Called it here first
    You're either a horrible comic (excusable).
    or a delusional fan of the most selfish f@ggy superstar in modern times (not as excusable).

Upside? Talented young core. GOAT perimeter shooting starting lineup. Unselfish players with finals/championship/CF experience.

Downside? Their core will eat up most of the salary cap. Lost the best bench in the league, lost Bogut/defensive anchor. Basically their defense took the hardest hit.

Chemistry issues won't allow them to win this year. They will win the next couple of years though.

I usually hit open layups

No 73 win season, weaker bench but if they make it to the finals with no injuries, the chip will wait.
    Defense is also a question mark for me. Can't really anticipate how well they'll do on the defensive end without Bogut.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Cavs Fan
    They are still not as good as advertised. LeBron's Heat team took a season or two to learn how to play together and build chemistry.
    No. They struggled in 2012 because they were starting the corpse of Z/Dampier/Joel Anthony at the 5, none of whom were NBA caliber bigs, and Arroyo/corpse of Bibby (who was released) at the 1. Starting 2 non NBA players is disastrous as opposing teams just pick on them. It wasn't until they added Battier and RayRay that they were able to put complete teams on the floor.

Golden State has more than a complete lineup. They have 4 All NBA players PLUS Iggy. Plus Zaza. Plus DWest. Plus .... well you get the idea. There aren't a lot of weaknesses there.